WT tolerating alcoholism?

by Smiles 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blondie
    blondie

I studied with a woman who was a recovering alcoholic. The first time she visited the KH, she pointed out 3 people who had alcohol on their breath (one an elder) and asked what JWs thought about drinking and coming to a religious meeting. I talked to another elder and pointed out the 3 people. No surprise to them and no big deal. The woman stopped coming (a good thing in the long run). After the elder was picked up DUI for the 3rd time and it made the papers, then the elder body did something: had him step down as an elder for 1 year than reappointed him and made him the PO. He still drinks and drives. I guess he'll have to kill someone before he'll be DF'd. Maybe not even then.

Blondie

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

In my congregation there was a brother who DA himself due to a alcohol problem.

• heathen
    heathen

Well , you gotta wash all that shit they cram down your throat everyweek with something.lol

• freedom96
    freedom96

Drinking in private is a hard thing to catch, so many witnesses regardless of rank in the hall can get away with it. I do believe the drinking is more prevelent than the WTS would like to think.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

From personal experience, I have great empathy for anyone struggling with an alcohol or drug problem ( and believe it or not, there is a difference between heavy drinking and alcoholism ) within the confines of WT dogma, written and unwritten. They will tell someone what certainly is the problem; alcohol, will point to the solution; don't drink, but they have no program of on-going action to implement that very obvious solution. Regardless of what they say, continuing outside help is discouraged in a lot of congs.I asked an elder once what "program" he would recommend to someone who has a history of alcohol problems. He told me he would recommend "our" program, to which I asked, " and what is that program?" He answered, as if you don't know, "meetings, field service and study". I asked him if he knew of ANYONE who has gotten and stayed sober using that "program". Says he, "just you".Of course he and I already had many discussions on the things I was doing to "treat" my alcoholism, and I, through neccessity, distanced myself from that "program". I've seen way too many deaths of JW's living with untreated alcoholism (elders included), and I see more clearly why they can't/won't be more effective with such problems. Alcoholism has been called a "physical disease, requiring a spiritual solution ". The foundational bedrock of that solution is " rigorous honesty ", something that is hard to come by in the WT organization.

• LB
    LB

Most activities at my old hall centered around drinking. If we played softball there was beer, same goes for fishing, boating, camping, whatever, there was always drinking. Lots of it. Except during the Co visits of course.

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

YES,

Nothing wrong with having a tiple with your mates, but ELDERS taking the WINE home,

FROM THE MEMORIAL CELEBRATION .(POLISHING IT OF WITH GLEE, )

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SPECIAL OCCASION FOR ALL CHRISTIANS, WITH ONLY THE ANNOINTED PARTAKING.

TALK ABOUT GLUTTONY & DISRESPECT .

ANY ONE EVER WONDERD WHAT HAPPEND TO THE 2 OR MORE BOTTLES OF WINE USED AT THE MEMORIAL CELEBRATION ,OR PERHAPS YOU PARTOOK OF THIS ALLSO. .

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mouthy yup that's the one - we weren't even in the same circuit - guess everyone knew but nothing was ever done

• wednesday
    wednesday

I think this may be a local thing b/c here in texas, many areas are dry around dallas. Growing up.,

alochol was done at parties , excessive was not. Now, people do drink, but it is still pretty tame. Lot of baptist infulence around here.

• Smiles
    Smiles

About that Memorial wine...

Who usually buys that stuff?

Some elder?

Or, is it put on the congregation tab?

If some elder personally buys it, then he is probably entitled to drink every last drop.

But, if that wine is put on the congregation's tab...... shouldn't every publisher at least be offered a swig off that bottle?

Though, that sour unfermented WT wine would probably not even be worth the gulp.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit