WT tolerating alcoholism?

by Smiles 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Room 215
    Room 215

Based on what I saw first-hand at Bethel, the drinking culture is pervasive at headquarters. There were at least a half-dozen serious cases of clinical alcoholism, and all with high-level types, including at least two women, wives of very senior figures (one's husband a member of the old Borad of Directors and the other's husband the head of the Service Department). To hear slurred words or to see someone stumbling around the corridors and elevators of the 124 and 107 was a not too uncommon experience.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Room 215:

Wow!

To hear slurred words or to see someone stumbling around the corridors and elevators of the 124 and 107 was a not too uncommon experience.

Should show this on their tours at Bethel. Would have made them more interesting!

Seriously, I don't doubt that alcoholism is a problem with the JW's. I personally, though, didn't see it in my years as a JW. Then again, we were always seen as "weak" spiritually, and we we not part of the gossip mill, so that could be why. Alcoholism is a problem everywhere.

Mrs. Shakita

• Room 215
    Room 215

Shakita,

I doesn't surprise me that your personal experience differs markedly from what I describe; in fact, I shae your view that the problem sems less pervaise among the rank and file JWs as a whole. That's also been my experience, and I think that's because the local JWs are in general, a more naive, idealistic group whose perception of Bethel is that it's a virtual paradise already.

I also need to add that I don't wish to infer that the majority of Bethelites are grappllingwith this problem; many --probably most -- are either total abstainers or fairly temperate. But there's a minority, larger than one might imagine, that have embraced the culture of robust drinking that is one legacy of the Rutherford era.

• breeze
    breeze

WOW,

This would have made the meetings much more tolarable....!! Two maybe three good stiff ones just before leaving for the meeting....

I should have tried it??

• Xander
    Xander

Maybe not - you may well still be there now instead of here!

• TIMBO
    TIMBO

Boy this is a smoldering topic. I was raised in the "truth."

I am an alcoholic. Been sober for 14 years now. Recently went to a JW wedding with my wife. A number of the elite of North Atlanta were there. Beautiful wedding. I thought it was great everyone was having such a great time. I could care less but everyone was drinking a LOT. I mentioned it to my wife...MISS JW FOR LIFE, and she retaliated well it's confined and some other line of bullshit. I just wanted to croak. One of her friends was newly married for the fourth time. She and her husband were there. He was a trip..a new guy to Atlanta, a Californian. I'm all for that. I miss that place something fierce. Back to the subject. We discussed alcohol etc. told them why I didn't drink...blah blah.. This guy says so you're 42 right? I said yep. He says July 1960? I said yep...(he was Feb or Mar 1960) anyway then he says. A 60's cancer? No wonder you're so fucked up!..then he started laughing his wife just about dropped her drink and I was cracking up. This guy clearly had a sense of humor and was NOT a stuff shirt JW. I told my wife later we needed to have them over.

At any rate, money and power in the ranks will get you anything. Just glad I sit back and watch it.

• onacruse
    onacruse

breeze:

This would have made the meetings much more tolarable....!! Two maybe three good stiff ones just before leaving for the meeting....

I should have tried it??

You mean you DIDN'T? And I thought I was a straight arrow for limiting myself to 1 or 2.

Seriously:

WTS=cult=addictive potential for some persons

alcohol=addictive potential for some persons

The underlying behavioral patterns, including codependency and denial, are identical.

Craig

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Now on behalf of the elders and bethelites, REALLLY if you were harboring such lies in your conscience and abusing your power WOULDN'T You drink to excess<read shitfaced> too. I alwasy wondered why all the elders drank like fishies now I know. Makes it easier to look in the mirror each day!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

For years (until he got DF'd), my dad (congregation pillar, anointed, ALWAYS gave Memorial talk) asked my husband, who hadn't been to a meeting in years and was very vocal in his disapproval of the Borg, to help him pick the wine for Memorial. Big Tex knows a good wine (among other things ). He and I always got a giggle out of the idea that a mostly-apostate-former-JW was making sure the wine for Memorial was good. And, yes, we did drink the rest of the bottle after the meeting! One sip has NEVER been good enough for my dad! But that's another thread . . .

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Alcohol is very popular among JW heavy-weights and their wives.

Not in Texas. I think it's the Baptist influence. But back when my wife and I were both Witnesses, we would often be the only ones drinking. Everyone else would have iced tea or soft drinks.

But your point is well taken. I don't know if it's alcoholism as much as drinking too much. I would think you'd have to be falling down drunk in public or get a DUI or two before they would do something about it. Drinking alone in your house, with no one around and drink until you pass out would certainly be condoned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit