JW to SDA anyone do it ?

by Introvert 2 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Hi all,

A couple friends pointed me to some info on the Sabbath and I just plain like it, being the workaholic I am it's a lifesaver for me and gives me the motivation to be more balanced about my business and work schedule. So from there I looked into the Adventists and found a hall near my place and went last week. I honestly enjoyed myself and the meeting time is not disruptive and the people were great and pretty laid back. But one thing is for sure if they offer me a study I'll decline for now and just have fun attending and get to meet new people. The teachings are close to what I know and they use Jehovah's name in prayer, seem balanced and have a holistic approach to health which I appreciate as I train. So was wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this ?

There is no one truth in my opinion so it's always going to be a tradeoff but I just want to be able to be part of a group that uses the Bible and worships honestly. They are Trinitarian, I am not so there may be issues down the road and kind of want to now what to expect if anything.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    From JW to SDA = same song second verse.
  • quincemyles
    quincemyles

What to expect.

1) Trinity.

John 5:23 requires us all to honor Lord Jesus Christ just as we honor Our Heavenly Father. If you honor Jesus Christ in anyway, it will be to the glory of God our Father. The Holy spirit must be honored by all Christians regardless of the nature of the Spirit. If one understands that, one would not have major difficulties with accommodating those who believe in the Trinity like the SDAs.

2) I would immediately face problems with SDA's view of 1844 just i have many problems with the JW's view of 1914. Both 1844 and 1914 are based on flawed mathematics and are given a false significance.

3) Like JWs last days tied to 1914, the SDAs tie the last days to 1844. The flawed date-pivoted preaching of a last days would greatly make it a challenge for me to be in either denominations. Both denominations have a flawed understanding of Matthew 24 and the book of revelation.

4) I want to believe that the beauty of SDA is in that there is no shunning, the laity can openly challenge pastors and elders on administrative and doctrinal matters. They are more tolerant to dissent than JWs in that they would not easily excommunicate you for openly questioning some beliefs. The rank and file are actively involved in doctrine development. SDAs are more transparent, encourage open mindedness and higher education.

As for the Sabbath, I believe it is as a personal matter as celebrating the birth of Christ,

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

quincemyles:

"I want to believe that the beauty of SDA is in that there is no shunning, the laity can openly challenge pastors and elders on administrative and doctrinal matters."

Not quite.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Always about power and control isn't it ?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    Why bother?
  • quincemyles
    quincemyles

Thanks Village Idiot.

I was under the impression that disfellowshipping among the SDAs involves simply deletion from the church records. The congregation members are not required to actually shun the disfellowshipped. http://leavingsda.com/adventist-exclusiveness-1/

“When a person has been removed from church membership, the church should, where possible, maintain contact and manifest the spirit of friendship and love, endeavouring to win him/her back to the fold.” – Offical SDA Church Manual (p199, 17th edition)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

quincemyles:

“When a person has been removed from church membership, the church should, where possible, maintain contact and manifest the spirit of friendship and love, endeavouring to win him/her back to the fold.” – Offical SDA Church Manual (p199, 17th edition)

Sounds too much like Watchtowerese. "The Church" mentioned is probably an indirect reference to the "elders". I would compare that statement to the JW "Return to Jehovah" flyer which says:

"Jehovah never forgets his worshippers who stray from the fold. On the contrary, he reaches out to them—often doing so through their fellow believers."

• rebel8
    rebel8

The teachings are close to what you know, and so is the lifestyle and all the other things wrong with its sister cult you used to belong to.

There are so many religion-free options for structure, morals and fellowship.

Sunday Assembly

Humanism

And if you prefer more church in your church, this

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My grandson is SDA (long story). There are some similarities and some differences. I think they are more mainstream, not anti education, not as strict about things. It doesn't appear to have hurt him any, he went on missions to built churches in Mexico, went to SDA school all twelve years, he turned out a good kid. He wants to be a minister, but the SDA college was way too expensive, so he joined the air force to get tuition expenses. His long term goal is to have his own non denominational church, which tells me he isn't hung up on the SDA as being the only path, which makes me happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit