Your Top Ten Books

by GinnyTosken 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I forgot to mention that I also read "The Way Things Oughta Be" by and "See, I Told You So" by Rush Limbaugh. Also most books by John Grisham, The Partner, being the best, IMHO among his.

I have read the Dune trilogy plus the fourth book in that series; most all of Marian-Zimmer Bradley's books about a planet called Darkover, The Autobiography of Malcom X and many, many more books over the years since 7th and 8th grade, when it was that my English teacher for both years, encouraged reading 4 or 5 books a month. In fact she required it.

• teejay
    teejay

People of the Lie : The Hope for Healing Human Evil -- M. Scott Peck

among other things, it examines an infamous incident that occurred during the
    American/Vietnamese conflict, using it to demonstrate what happens when
    humans give in to group thinking and behavior.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Teejay,

Thanks for listing "People of the Lie."
    I've been meaning to come back and post it myself. This one book cleared up so many issues for me. It changed the way I view people and events dramatically.
    Yes, I consider it a 'must' and have recommended it to so many people - especially for those with parent issues/histories. I first read it many years ago, but often take it off the shelf for a review session in 'fortitude.' :)

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Teejay and Zazu,

It's been several years since I've read People of the Lie. I very much liked the information about the psychological harm caused by lying, but I was taken aback to discover that M. Scott Peck believes in exorcism. What did you think about that?

Ginny

• teejay
    teejay

Zazu,

>> I consider it a 'must' and have recommended it to so many people

same here. when i read it, i went out and bought, like, 6 copies and
    gave them to folks i thought might benefit. it's a very good book.
    makes me wanna go and find mine and read it again. it was a major
    stepping stone for me.

=======================================

Ginny,

>> I was taken aback to discover that M. Scott Peck
    >> believes in exorcism. What did you think about that?

i thought that was kinda weird, too. it's been years since
    i read it, but didn't he "see" the devil? i don't know. i like
    Peck. he has a lot of things figured out, in my opinion, but
    maybe he just wanted to see something or he tried to find
    some rational way of explaining what he did see.

overall, it didn't alter the insights he offered in the remainder
    of the book. it was a very minor negative.

later.

• TMS
    TMS

"Last of the Mohicans" James Fennimore Cooper

"For Whom the Bell Tolls" Ernest Hemmingway

"Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God" Frederick Franz

"Animal Farm" George Orwell

"Golf" Tommy Armour

"Life-How Did It Get Here. . By Evolution or by Creation?"

TMS

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Ginny,
    Have you read any Wendy kaminer?
    I have her latest and it's great!
    Called 'Sleeping with Extraterrestrials:
    The Rise of Irrationalism and Perils of Piety".

She examines as eries of cultural issues in which emotionally and spiritually based impulses threaten rational and reasonable thought.
    (the notion that morality cannot exist outside a religious context)

Here's a great quote form the book;

"If the First Amendment didnt protect speech that many find offensive,we'd have relatively little need of it......The First AMendment protects your right to give offense,and requires that you learn to take it. That is a simple and fundamental principle of democracy,which is rarely polite."

She also addresses junk science,cult of victimhood,etc... great read! Just wanted to share this with you,Tina

• waiting
    waiting

**Sigh**

I've been busy reading a novel - and I didn't want a particularily deep one - one's mind does grow tired of thinking - at least mine!

Dean Koontz - Out of the Corner of His Eye. I read a lot of his earlier books, Lighting & Watchers being my favorites. Then he got really weird after about the 15th book. But his characters in this book are better written, along with the dialogue. As always, he stretches the imagination.

QB VII - by Leon Uris A great novel about a physician who worked for the Nazis during the war - and had a lot of explaining to do after the war - and his trial for knowing how much pain a person could endure.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Does tax the imagination and one's vocabulary - but much satire and fun.

To Kill A Mockingbird Pulitzer Prize Winner for a reason - timeless and great. The original movie with Gregory Peck was good too.

Inherit the Wind Another timeless great one. The original movie with Spencer Tracey was really good too.

The series of books about what would happen if the Rapture actually occurred? I know, I know. But an interesting concept nonetheless, and not a bit more peculiar than the notion of Armageddon actually occurring and what it would be like. However, after the 7th book, (pretty big print, btw) it was time for me to take a break with all the fun and games of Revelation.

The Mirror Don't remember the author. To the best of my knowledge, she wrote only this book - but a fine one. Totally envelopes the imagination of literally changing minds with someone - as in grandmother/grandaughter - and never changing back, living the other person's life in their body, but with total recall of your own thoughts and past. I found this book fascinating, read it 3 times - and then loaned my book out. CAUTION - don't lend your favorite books........

Caleb Carr's books have been mentioned, for good reason, already - but he gives substance and insight to the turn-of-the-century immigrants and their lousy lives, even when normal. Fascinating read.

So much reading to do.......

waiting

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Tina,

I have not read any Wendy Kaminer, but I have added Sleeping with Extraterrestrials to my "must read" list. It sounds great. Thanks for telling me about it!

To everyone,

Thanks for sharing your book recommendations. I've added many books to my reading list. After I started this thread, I caught a nasty flu virus and did little else besides sleep for about two weeks, so I have not commented as I would have liked to. I would like to discuss some of the books you mentioned, so I will probably dredge up this thread once again. Tonight my fingers are too tired.

Ginny

• emyrose
    emyrose

These are some of my favorites:
    Their Eyes Were Watching GOD, by Zora Neale Hurston

One Hundred Years Of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Twelve Years A Slave, by Solomon Northup

Civilization and Its Discontents, by Sigmund Freud

Genie, A Scientific Tragedy, by Russ Rymer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest