Your Top Ten Books

by GinnyTosken 52 Replies latest jw friends

• heff
    heff

In my not so humble opinion, these are the best books on the face of the earth.

1. Look Homeward Angel - Thomas Wolfe

Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

The seed of our destruction will blossom in the desert, the alexin of our cure grows by a mountain rock, and our lives are haunted by a Georgia slattern, because a London cutpurse went unhung. Each moment is the fruit of forty thousand years. The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death, and every moment is a window on all time.

2. On the Road - Jack Kerouac

A pain stabbed my heart as it did every time I saw a girl I loved who was going the opposite direction in this too-big world.

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say an uncommon-place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles..

3. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

(Someone borrowed and never gave it back, so, no quote...sorry)

[b]READ THESE!!!!

• philo
    philo

Hi Ginny

When I was dub I read The Naked Ape by ?? which I later learned was greeted with jeering by the sci. community. But it opened my eyes the strong possibility that WT anti-evolution arguments were ... bunk. It was fun to read though.

philo

• larc
    larc

philo,

I read that book too. It's by Desmon Morris. Recently, he has produced a series of video that are shown on learning channels. I think the visual examples along with his verbiage are really good.

Regarding other scientists, I think they are jealous because they didn't get the fame he did. Scientists are human and are not above ridiculing new ideas and being jealous of others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit