Your Top Ten Books

by GinnyTosken 52 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day Ginny, great topic (I might reply 50 times to this)

1) Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Greatest book on spirituality ever written.

2) Living Energies - Victor Shwarberger

Incredible man, changed the world like his contempories Tesla and Einstein.

3) Ned Kelly A Sort Life

Irish/Australian revolutionary helped bring freedom to this part of the world.

4) Travels in Dreams - Bill Mollison

Tasmanian bushman, scientist, inventer/discoverer of Permaculture - which is profoundly changing much of the third world.

5) The Messianic Legacy - Baigent and Lee

The historical Truth of God, the Bible, Jesus, the dead sea scrolls and all that.

6) The Spear of Destiny - Trevor Ravenscroft

The spear that pierced Jesus side and was later used by Constantine and Hitler in their quest for world power (now housed in the Austrian museum) Myth meets ledgend meets true evil - awsome under ground book.

7) Hitler My Part in His Downfall - Spike Milligan

Spike recounts his war (including the Jehovahs Witness soldier/ prostitution incident) I love all Spike Milligans stuff - the Goons still rule down under.

8) Jung for Beginners

Yeah, well, I gotta start somewhere.

9) The Mind of God - Paul Davies

Adelaide physicist of world renown continuing the struggle of reconciling the eternal with the ephemeral.
    (dust Jacket says it's the most powerful mind-bending experience one can have without violating the Controlled substances act - but they would wouldn't they.

10) The Truth That Leads To Eternal life - Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

The title says it all. ... actually I'd like to change that to Witnessed by Budd Hopkins The true story of the Brooklyn Bridge alien abductions.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day Ginny, great topic (I might reply 50 times to this)

1) Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Greatest book on spirituality ever written.

2) Living Energies - Victor Shwarberger

Incredible man, changed the world like his contempories Tesla and Einstein.

3) Ned Kelly A Sort Life

Irish/Australian revolutionary helped bring freedom to this part of the world.

4) Travels in Dreams - Bill Mollison

Tasmanian bushman, scientist, inventer/discoverer of Permaculture - which is profoundly changing much of the third world.

5) The Messianic Legacy - Baigent and Lee

The historical Truth of God, the Bible, Jesus, the dead sea scrolls and all that.

6) The Spear of Destiny - Trevor Ravenscroft

The spear that pierced Jesus side and was later used by Constantine and Hitler in their quest for world power (now housed in the Austrian museum) Myth meets ledgend meets true evil - awsome under ground book.

7) Hitler My Part in His Downfall - Spike Milligan

Spike recounts his war (including the Jehovahs Witness soldier/ prostitution incident) I love all Spike Milligans stuff - the Goons still rule down under.

8) Jung for Beginners

Yeah, well, I gotta start somewhere.

9) The Mind of God - Paul Davies

Adelaide physicist of world renown continuing the struggle of reconciling the eternal with the ephemeral.
    (dust Jacket says it's the most powerful mind-bending experience one can have without violating the Controlled substances act - but they would wouldn't they.

10) The Truth That Leads To Eternal life - Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

The title says it all. ... actually I'd like to change that to Witnessed by Budd Hopkins The true story of the Brooklyn Bridge alien abductions.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Anything by Bill Peet He's a childrens author, used to do animation for disney and his childrens books are the best! He wrote the Whingdingdilly which is my fave kids book.

Wuthering Heights <I know, cheesy but what can I say *grin*> "Nelly...I AM Heathcliff!" lol

The color purple

Does my Scrabble dictionary count?

Books by Dean Koontz and Patricia Cornwell

The Dune Series

I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now but my brains are scrambled courtesy of 5 year old twins

Eyes

• Introspection
    Introspection

I would also recommend the Tao Teh Ching, just don't read a silly paraphrase like Stephen Mitchell's "translation", or more appropriately his interpretation. I've enjoyed a version published by Shambhala by John C. H. Wu.

• unanswered
    unanswered

it was hard to pick 10, so i just thought of what are my favorites right now. seems like i have a new favorite all the time, these are classics for me.

"the tao te ching"-has to be in my top 5 if not number 1. introspection-i agree.

"the bible"-no matter what your take on it, a great piece of literature.

"alices adventures in wonderland"-carroll-this book is my longest running favorite. i know, i know.

"thus spoke Zarathustra"-nietzsche-one of his more obscure writings, i admire his confidence in the human being.

"celtic"-t.w. rollestone-a great reference that really helped me get in touch with my ancestral past.

"my name is asher lev"-chaim potok-i found it to be a parallel with growing up as a jw.

"servant of the bones"-anne rice-i just really liked this one.

"lakota woman"-mary crow dog-probably my favorite autobio. ever.

"the metamorphosis"-kafka-i know his writing is weird and disjointed, i like it because it doesn't follow any rules.

"the other bible, ancient esoteric texts"-edited by willis barnestone-opened my eyes to a belief system i was never allowed to investigate when i was younger.

well, that's my spouting. i've enjoyed everyone else's responses, gave me some new ideas for reading material. nate

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Armageddon Okies--Gary Bussleman! (Yes you can get it in book form)

Other books, anything by M.M.Kaye, Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Richard Preston, Robin Cook, Micheal Crichton.... well you get the picture!

Venice

• conflicted
    conflicted

I haven't really read alot of religious literature, my tastes tend toward science fiction. Here are some of my favs.

1. Stranger in a Strange Land - by R. Hienlein
    A sci-fi take on the return of the Mesiah (that's how I saw it anyway)

2. The complete Sherlock Holmes - by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Great for logical thinking

3. To kill a Mockingbird
    A superb look at human nature

4. Shogun
    Just an excellent story

5. The Celestine Prophesy
    How much of our lives are fate/destiny

6. Battlefield Earth - by L. Ron Hubbard
    Another terrific story, dont let that bomb of a movie stop you from reading this book

That's all I can come up with on the spur of the moment. Happy reading.

• Francois
    Francois

1. The Tao Te Ching
    2. The Urantia Book
    3. The True Believer
    4. The Third Eye
    5. Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose (really!)

I'd be foolin' around if I listed any more.

I suggest that if you read the Tao Te Ching, you do it by reading several translations. You'll get the sense faster.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Great thread Ginny - it may turn into one of the longest yet!!!

Here are some of my picks:

All Rivers Run to the Sea: Memoirs -
    Eric Wiesel

Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth

The Ghost Rock - Pat Barker
    (The last book of a trilogy: The first two being: 1.Regeneration - 2. The Eye in the Door)

Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis

Gems of British Comic Prose - Geoff
    Puterbaugh

Language, Truth and Logic - Jules Ayer

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom - Miguel Toltec

How to Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking for a New Age -
    Theodore Schick

I am also an avid reader of fiction of all sorts, especially courtroom dramas, mysteries (classic and current), political intrigue, classic writers, both past and present.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

(1) Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality - by John Boswell

(2) Steps to Recovery From Bible Abuse - by Dr. Rembert Truluck

(3) Visions of Glory - by Barbara Grizutti Harrison

(4) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible

(5) The Keys of Enoch - by Dr. J.J.Hurtak

(6) Openly Gay, Openly Christian - by Rev. Samuel Kader

(7) The Gentile Times Reconsidered - by Carl Olof Jonsson

(8) In Search of Christian Freedom - by Raymond Franz

(9) Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave - by William J. Schnell

(10) Alcoholics Anonymous