Judge Bans Shunning

by Farkel 83 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hi

I know this thread was started years ago but I'm looking for Society quotes that explain WHY they shun. Whats the real purpose behind this practice?

I'm looking for quotes that identify the purpose as "to shame" the wrongdoer or words like that. I've searched the CD rom and others sites but have only found one from WT 1963

Can anyone suggest anymore?

Thanks!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Boyzone,

Search their official website for 'shun' http://www.watchtower.org/

I'm sure you will find their answer there. Put it this way. If a JW tries to BS you about their shunning policy, you can probably embarass them with their own website.

Cheers

Chris

• blondie
    blondie

*** w73 5/15 pp. 319-320 Questions From Readers ***Is there a difference, then, between these "marked" ones and persons who may have committed serious sins but who were not disfellowshiped due to their sincere repentance? Yes, there is. True, these latter ones may have been publicly reproved, in harmony with 1 Timothy 5:20, but they have already recognized the wrong of their course, felt shame over it and repented. That is not the case with the ones needing to be "marked." It is for the very reason that they are not recognizing the error of their way so as to repent of it that they need to be shamed, and that is why the brothers stop associating with them on other than necessary occasions, as at Christian meetings.

See 1952 version:

*** w52 3/1 p. 144 par. 26 Propriety of Disfellowshiping ***

Well, what if a brother repents before he is disfellowshiped? He may realize that he has done wrong and he knows that the news of his course of action is getting in to the servants. Or he may feel his own shame while no one as yet knows what happened to him, and he goes to one of the mature brothers in the company, maybe the company servant, and he confesses his whole sin. Should that one then be exposed to the congregation and disfellowshiped because the company servant knows his course of action? Not if that person has truly repented. If he has asked forgiveness, and confessed his wrong, and he is changing his course of action, there is no reason why the brother that is spoken to need reveal that brother’s secret to another. His heart condition is right, and therefore mercy, love and kindness should be shown to that individual.

but this:

*** w52 11/15 p. 704 Questions From Readers ***The purpose of observing the disfellowship order is to make the disfellowshiped one realize the error of his way and to shame him, if possible, so that he may be recovered, and also to safeguard your own salvation to life in the new world in vindication of God. (2 Thess. 3:14, 15; Titus 2:8)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I wonder what happened in the case (re: Farkels original post)?

• blondie
    blondie

I will not be able to post any more relevant documents, except perhaps some excerpts from affidavits until an upcoming hearing is held and decided. It's coming soon, though. (posted in 2002).

I wonder if in 2009 that Farkel can now post the rest and a source.

• Farkel
    Farkel

blondie,

I don't know how that case was finally resolved. It's probably moot now though because the children are all adults.

Farkel

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

wow, you tell us to expect something, indicate it is 'soon', never deliver, and years later, you tell us it doesn't matter anymore because it no longer is relevant.

Were you at Bethel in the 60's and 70's?

:)

• Goshawk
  • boyzone
    boyzone

Thank you Blondie, thats brilliant!

• Farkel
    Farkel

blondie, jwdaughter,

I've long lost touch with the person who provided me with that information. Situations change. It's been six years you know.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit