Need someone to talk to

by Anonymous17 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dagney
    Dagney

(Broken record here...) DO NOT GET BAPTIZED!!!

Welcome Anon17.

Glad you found us! We were all pressured by family to baptize...our families were trying to "save us." They never took the time to understand all repercussions of the the decision. So you will have to be an undercover agent for your own life. But it is worth it.

Thinking about it now, if I was pressured by my parents, I would strongly say, "Please do not pressure me. This is my choice isn't it? Let me make it when I am ready. Thank you." Then proceed to do what all has been suggested here. Find yourself. Life is long and short at the same time. Find something that you love to do and try to make that your career.

Your relatives will not understand. They are only repeating what they have been told. Find your own strength. Show them kindness and love, but don't give in to guilt or pressure. That is unkind to do to people.

We are here for you! Again welcome and we look forward to hearing more about you.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Just remember time is on your side, take a deep breath and proceed.

There are good people inside the organization and there are good people outside

There are bad people inside the organization and there are bad people outside

Only the religion makes good people do bad things

take care of yourself

• Anonymous17
    Anonymous17

Wasanelder once

yeah I don't want to be bad is what I tell my aunt all the time. I don't want to be wild either. I want to free and have a life and not view everything the same as all jws do. I got a job this year. And I did make friends and I love it. Even though my parents constantly make sure Im not talking to "worlds people" and watching my association. I lie but I have to. I'm not gonna avoid all my co workers cause they're not jws. I want to be successful in life and I don't want to live it tied down as a jw.

• freddo
    freddo

Is your job a full time job or part time?

You might want to have a "concern" to feed to your parents. How child abuse is handled in the organisation is great because it gives you the high moral ground. Loads on here can help you tactfully use that to stave off your parents and maybe even get through to them.

Have you got siblings?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Wow, wish I'd been as smart at your age Anonymous17! Live your own life but be gentle with your Mum and Dad, it'll hurt them when you leave. Gentle but firm.

And one more time - don't get baptised.

• Anonymous17
    Anonymous17

Dagney

thanks a lot. Your right I feel like I've been told what to do my whole life and I never thought twice if I truly believed what I was learning so I went on with it. And I love my family and I don't want them to get hurt but I know what I have to do and your advice is great. I am worried about people talking about me and how bad I am for leaving but I guess that's something I'll have to get used to and let it go. Thanks again!

• Anonymous17
    Anonymous17

Freddo

my job is part time. I am learning a lot about the child abuse through my aunt who is in active now. That's what helped opened my eyes as well. I have three sisters. One is actually disfellowshipped for the 2nd time and is trying to get reinstated to she can get her family back. But she's done with being a jw too. So I do have two family members on my side.

• freddo
    freddo

If you have a sister out and an aunt inactive that is really helpful.

I know a young man who got reinstated and after the announcement he never attended one more meeting! But he can have some contact with his mad uber-dub mother!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Anon17,

Yep, you will see the JW life/view is so narrow... There will be some ups and downs with your family going forward. What has worked for me is to be very strong and happy in my own life. It is rather confusing for them because with every breath "it's the last days," which I've been hearing for decades. And frankly, most JW's I know aren't happy, they are confused and tired of it all...even with the new gimmicks they have. So it will be disarming to them to see you thrive. And thrive you will.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Start applying for government grants, scholarships, etc, get into college. It's hard to get by without having a degree these days. In state local community colleges can be very affordable to paying almost nothing if you get aid and scholarships, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit