Geoffrey Jackson - Royal Commission Live Hearing Now!

by LostinJapan 190 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bavman
    bavman
    Loved it when Mr Jackson asked Angus if he had the scripture and Angus said, 'no I don't but I am sure you will read it to me Mr. Jackson'.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

Jackson was wrong in saying they do not punish the wrongdoer--yeah, they can't stone people, but they do shun and this form of punishment causes psychological trauma that can lead to physical manifestations.

New research coming out in psychological literature points to the "nocebo" effect, self fulfilling prophecy that telling someone they are no good may lead the person to actually do bad and suffer consequences, and also lead to all sorts of mental turmoil and stress.

JW/WT doctrine and procedures regarding DA/DF'ing do cause harm and they are indeed a form of punishment, perhaps even causing a greater degree of anguish and suffering for a long period of time.

Excommunication from the Catholic Church doesn't carry the penalty of forced shunning on the part of family and friends. And yet the WT saw this as barbaric and pagan, not for the Christian congregation.

The WT publishes contrary ideas quite often, and followers are expected to live with this disonance of conscience and beliefs all along following and obeying every interpretation and publication by the Gobbering Body and its helpers.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Just sent that on straight off to the woman dealing with me....She says the points that are given to them are used......

Thanks Crow

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dumplin: Orphan I just posted an article that lists them all.

Cool.

There is a lot of scholary research that has been done into the role of women in Old Testament times. I took a class when I was in University that was an exegesis of the Old Testament. Interestingly, the first 3 months were taught by a woman Jewish scholar.

I had a hard time keeping my head above the water line in that class - lots of Religous Studies majors. I remember Judge Deborah because I did my final paper for that first semester on the role of women and specifically examined Deborah.

Jackson has no clue about what he is talking about. He keeps lecturing the Commission on how to take scripture in context and he does the complete opposite when it comes to anything to do with a woman's authority.

Damn, I wish my prof from that class could set the idiot straight. She knew her stuff - and she was a woman teacher. She could sure school that boy some, I would think.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

That article I just posted about God using women concluded: women tend to hear from God more than men (in the Bible), and yet they maintain that it is the men who have the spiritual authority in the church and home.

Then it says this:

From the Scriptures, we can clearly see that God does not speak solely to men and husbands, even in matters that directly affect them and their families. God can and does entrust his word – with the authority it entails – directly to women and wives. God can and does speak to women without using husbands and male church leaders as mediators. All believers have direct access to God through Jesus and his Holy Spirit, and vice versa.

“There is one mediator between God and people (or humankind), the person (or human being) Christ Jesus.” (1 Timothy 2:5, literal translation.)

• millie210
    millie210
    umbertoecho10 minutes agoWell if there are a pile of people with Jackson right now.... Iv'e got all of you in my house......
    So there...Geoffrey

Yes you do Umbertoecho!

• scary21
    scary21

Jackson said a ROD is not a ROD....as in spare the rod, spoil the child.

Ask if he believed in corporal punishment..............he said no.......sure wish he would of told my mom that...really?

• life is to short
    life is to short
    Thanks for all of your updates. It is just amazing.
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    Oh, and sorry, but I can't remember the various female judges off the top of my head. I'm terrible with Bible stories.

Well, there is Deborah, in Judges 4, who was a judge over all of Israel.

Given their love of Hebre Scriptures for support of their doctrines and religious procedures, this would mean that women could be allowed to be judges.

Also the women prophets in the Christian Greek Scriptures were allowed to tell their prophecy in the congregation and had precedence over speaking in tongues, etc. So there is clear guidance that women could take an active role in teaching God's Word in the congregation.

Paul also talks about Phoebe who was a "diakonos" (a word in the masculine gender applying not to her being a what we would think og just a plain "servant" but a "minister" or a "deacon" today, it was a position of service and responsibility, and it was filled by a woman.

Paul shows a lot of prejudices common to the age he lived in. This is clear in how he talks about slaves and slave owners.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    anyone have a time stamp on when Jackson said JW's don't spank?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit