What is a Cult? (all 4 parts)

by Joyzabel 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I find it interesting that the longer one is out of the cult the more one sees the other subtle things thatmake it a cult!

j2bf

• waiting
    waiting

• larc
    larc

I read through the four part series. I concluded that about 80% of the items apply to large corporations, especially at the management level. Does that mean they are cults as well? I worked for two of them, NCR corp. and General Motors, so I can check the relevant items with some authority.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I understand Larc that big corporations use mind control components for production of work, but you did have the freedom to leave your job without your family not speaking to you ever again! Or condemning you to everlasting cutting off because you leave your job.

Are you saying that the WTBTS is just another big corporation under the guise of a religion? One that uses mind control on its publishers magazine salesmen to give their life for the corporations rules!

j2bf

• larc
    larc

Joy, I didn't say that all of the items applied to large corporations, rather, about 80% of them. Regarding the similiarities between corporations and the WT, yes, I think there are a lot of them.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Good point larc,

You made a good parrallel between corportations fitting the description along with the WT. No wonder it was lovingly refered to as "The Organization" for about 100 years.

As too Joy's difference on the consequence of leaving a corporation vs leaving a cult you've got to give her credit for that one.

She has been throught some difficult times lately. You can tell by the serious tone of this thread.

you did have the freedom to leave your job without your family not speaking to you ever again! Or condemning you to everlasting cutting off because you leave your job.

I would suggest, DON'T MESS WITH JOY for a while. I know you understand.

Jst2laws

• larc
    larc

jst2laws, I ain't a tryen to mess nobody. I am just presenting a point of view. I hope she understands that. Well, if she doesn't she can just shoot me with her father's 45 - hee hee. (Larc of the lighten up, don't tighten up class)

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

As I expected, You're cool larc.

j2

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Joy I throughly enjoyed reading this post and the information was very insightful to me. I was just thinking today how the jw's have their own unique language the "pure-language". LOL I do remember at times being embarassed by someone or another dub using THAT language in public and getting these weird looks back from people......I always hated that! To this day my Mom uses dub talk to me.........I correct her when I can politely, she is my Mom ya know.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.......think I'll go puke now.

Katie

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Thank You so much Joy for putting this thread together! It realy gives one alot to think about!

Still and all being a Christian of any kind is a restrictive life style. It is about being different from those not serving The Christ and His Father Our Creator and Putting On The New Personality. So many Christian Religions would have much of what is in your report and seem cult like.

What made me apreciate your report most though is your comments(thanks for your thoughts) and then the added posts of others on this forum.

Mebeme brought out how picky in your life you have to be as JW and I can tell you I have at times spent a good hour trying to find barrattes and other excessories that didn't have a pagen patternOr compleately censored my style of music....not based on content of lyrics but on music STYLE. Which should realy be a prefrence. We did not have beautiful windchimes and broke crosses off of chess pieces. We used to buy holiday candy after the fact...January sales....thought myself clever paying so much less....then the CO at Assembly gave a talk about this.....etc etc etc. It can be down right exhusting. The old swollowing a camel trick

refiners fire showing quotes from publications that even wanted you to not have business associates to keep in touch with.....I do trust Jehovah to provide ofcourse but, we are suposed to do the leg work! Still and all many Christian faiths give most of the advice he posted with on exception....You can not get disfellowshipped for not adhearing to what is your entertainment and as a JW you can!

Isn't that amazing.....if an elder aproches you and councels you on your entertainment and you do not change....he can say you have taken a bad attitude and out you go!

Isn't that amazing.....no more family and friends over maybe a comic or a rated R movie??

Maybe this doesn't happen often but that fact that it could and it has......

Well you be the judge.......what to think of that.

but I find it amazing that the Apostle's Paul and Barnabas could have an argument and nether of them removed but, If you disagree with an Elder.....You can and are removed.

That is that!

Thank-you Joy and everyone.......

I am still deciding what to do myself on this issue.

There is alot of soul searching going on here.......I am so very grateful for everyones help.

agape,

Flowers 2 all

Utopian_Raindrops

Edited by - Utopian_Raindrops on 16 December 2002 2:47:42

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit