What is a Cult? (all 4 parts)

by Joyzabel 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

What is a Cult? (Part 1)

What? I was never in a cult. I make choices about my life all the time. I can go to meetings or not go to meetings, I can go in service or not go in service. These were thoughts of mine when someone suggested to me that being a JW I was in a cult.

The first groups that come to mind when I thought of cults were the Moonies, followers of Jim Jones, Heavens Gate, and Charles Manson. My goodness, those people who follow such groups were, in my opinion, really twisted with their thoughts, their daily lifestyle and loyalty until death.

The word cult has such a harsh sound to it. No one would certainly join a cult and do loony things. So I was wondering what were people thinking when they thought that JWs were a cult?

Upon doing some reading about cults, especially in Steve Hassans works, an ex-Moonie cult counselor, I found that instead of using the word cult the words high control group was more understandable for me. But what I found in his works got me to thinking. Let me share a brief outline of what high control groups do and see if you can see the similarity.

Hassan gleamed from many social psychologist and researchers to put together the four components of understanding high control groups. My personal thoughts will be in blue.

Behavior Control

1. Regulation of individuals physical reality

a. Where, how, and with whom the member lives and associates with.

Disfellowshiped, marked one are people jws cannot associate with even if they are family members

b. What clothes, colors, and hairstyles the person wears

I always would think of stricter Pentecostals but think of how you can spot jws with their conservative style.

c. What food the person eats, drinks, adopts and rejects

d. How much sleep the person is able to have

e. Financial dependence

f. Little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations

If you figure up all the time we are suppose to be studying for the meetings, at the meetings, going in field service and the rest of a working life, there is very little time left in the jw schedule for leisure without the feeling of not doing what you are suppose to be doing.

2. Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals

Those seem like harsh words, but think about it. 5 meetings a week, with preparation and going back and forth to the meetings. Field service at least once or twice a week of several hours.

3. Need to ask permission for major decisions

We didnt as jws need permission but how many times did we go to the elders or look up the instructions or guidelines in the WT literature to help us base our decisions?

4. Need to report thoughts, feelings, and activities to superiors

Elders heard plenty when guilty consciences prompted jws to go to them with their sinning and wanting to discuss it with them.

5. Rewards and punishments (behavior modification techniques-positive and negative)

Besides the big dfing, how about the privileges i.e. microphone handling, conducting the meeting for field service, able to check out territory, prayer privilege, etc, etc.

6. Individualism discouraged: group think prevails

Those participation meetings, WT and book study were not open to individual thought but to parrot what was written in the WT literature in your own words!

7. Rigid rules and regulations

(No explanation needed here! J )

(Cont. Part 2 Information Control)

arggg, the formatting is messing up, sorry.

Edited by - joy2bfree on 15 December 2002 12:56:34

Edited by - joy2bfree on 15 December 2002 12:58:23

Edited by - joy2bfree on 15 December 2002 12:59:18

Edited by - joy2bfree on 15 December 2002 14:8:16

• Soledad
    Soledad

that is really good joy Im going to print it out, many of my friends and coworkers often have questions and this is a great way to explain how the JWs "work" in simple terms. Once again thanks.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Goddangit, Joy. You're supposed to only post fluff. Now put your head-covering on, little lady and go BACK to your kitchen and finish baking me that pizza!

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 15 December 2002 13:10:35

• Aztec
    Aztec

Joy,

My thoughts exactly!

~Aztec

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

What is a Cult (Part 2)?

Information Control

1. Use of deception

a. Deliberately holding back information

Why do we not discuss with our bible students the disfellowshipping issue before the get baptized?

b. Distorting information to make it more acceptable

Ever wonder why the first thing jws talk about is the paradise (who doesnt want to live in a paradise earth, peaceful, etc) Wait on Jehovah new light

c. Outright lying

2. Access to non-cult (WTBTS) information minimized or discouraged

a. Books, articles, newspapers, magazines, TV, radio

b. Critical information

c. Former members

d. Keep members so busy they dont have time to think and check things out

3. Compartmentalization of information; Outsider vs. Insider doctrines

a. Information is not freely accessible

b. Information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid

GB, DO, CO, Bethelites, Elders, MS, Pioneers, etc. etc

4. Spying on other members is encouraged

a. Pairing up with buddy system to monitor and control

b. Reporting deviant thoughts, feelings, and actions to leadership

c. Individual behavior monitored by whole group.

d. Leadership decides who needs to know what and when

5. Extensive use of cult generated information propaganda

a. Newsletters, (KMs), magazines, journals, audio tapes, videotapes, and other media

b. Misquotations, statements taken out of context from non-cult sources (Good examples of this is in both of Carl Olaf Jonnsons books)

6. Unethical use of confession

a. Information about sins used to abolish identity boundaries (disfellowshipping by whos rules?)

b. Past sins used to manipulate and control; no forgiveness or absolution (how long does it take an elder, MS to get back in and then to get privileges? But who encourages reporting pedophiles to the authorities?)

7. Need for obedience and dependency

(Cont. Part 3 Thought Control)

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Part 3 Thought Control

1. Need to internalize the groups doctrine as Truth

a. Adopting the groups map of reality as Reality

b. Black-and-White thinking

c. Good vs. Evil

d. Us vs. Them (Inside vs Outside)

2. Use of loaded language (for example, thought-terminating cliches). Words are the tools we use to think with. These special words constrict rather than expand understanding and can even stop thoughts altogether. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous buzz words (Think of all the theocratic vocabulary we learned and could identify other jws with!)

3. Only good and proper thoughts are encouraged.

4. Use of hypnotic techniques to induce altered mental states

5. Manipulation of memories and implantation of false memories

6. Use of thought-stopping techniques, which shut down reality testing by stopping negative thoughts and allowing only good thoughts

a. Denial, rationalization, justification, wishful thinking (theocratic warfare!)

b. Chanting

c. Meditating

d. Praying

e. Speaking in tongues

f. Singing or humming

7. Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism. No critical questions about leader, doctrine or policy seen as legitimate.

8. No alternative believe systems viewed as legitimate, good or useful

(Cont Part 4 Emotional Control)

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Part 4 Emotional Control

1. Manipulate and narrow the range of a persons feelings

2. Make the person feel that if there are ever any problems, it is always his fault, never the leaders or the groups. (Did the WTBTS ever acknowledge the 1975 thoughts originated with them? Or an abused person wasnt at fault but the abuser was? Etc, etc.)

3. Excessive use of guilt

a. Identity guilt

1. Who you are (not living up to your potential)

2. Your family

3. Your past

4. Your affiliations

5. Your thoughts, feelings, actions

b. Social guilt

c. Historical guilt

4. Excessive use of fear

a. Fear of thinking independently

b. Fear of the outside world

c. Fear of enemies

d. Fear of losing ones salvation

e. Fear of leaving the group of being shunned by group

f. Fear of disapproval

5. Extremes of emotional highs and lows

6. Ritual and often public confession of sins

7. Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about ever leaving the group or even questioning the leaders authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.

a. No happiness of fulfillment outside of the goup

b. Terrible consequences will take place if you leave. (weeping and gnashing of our teeth!)

c. Shunning of leave takers, fear of being rejected by friends, peers and family

d. Never a legitimate reason to leave . From the groups perspective, people who leave are weak, undisciplined, unspiritual, worldly, brainwashed by family, counselor or seduced bye money, sex, rock and roll. Or influenced by Satan.

I thought these components outlined by Steve Hassen, even though some dont apply to JWs, it is amazing how many do and I had to start looking at what I had be involved in all my life. I was a true believer. But all I want to do is encourage others to look at their life and their beliefs and see if there is any similar findings so that you can become free of high controls.

References:

Hassen, Steve: Combatting Cult Mind Control 1988

Hassen, Steve: Releasing the Bonds, Empowering People to Think for Themselves 200

Recommend reading also:

Hoffer, Eric: True Believer 1951

Penton, James Apocalypse Delayed

Both of Carl Olar Jonnsons books

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

LOL @ Farkel,

now what's the topping for today?

j2bf

• mebeme
    mebeme

And on top of all of the new control....I suddenly was on a journey to find out all (no matter how miniscual) (sp) things bad....thats right, I said bad. I learned more "what is bad" than I ever cared to.

long hair on men is bad, dawn dishsoap ( the big controversy going on when I was a new study) is bad, the design on the wall paper is bad, the design of the necklace is bad, oh did you notice that in the fabric of your dress....is bad, damn is bad, darn is bad, ....I felt like I was stuffed with extensive knowledge on what surrounds us as bad...evil roots...the pagans did that bad.....psycology is bad, that music is bad, thinking is bad, the neighbors are bad, that tv program is bad, what you are wearing is bad, although you are a pioneer you dye your hair too much and that is bad, are those plusses or crosses cause ya know that is bad, angels are bad..."My God what is that symbol on your barrett"....I am sure it is bad and shows worship of the god of all evil worshipped some 5000 years ago..........I was a babe when I went in and I came out with a head full of "BAD"..............very destabalizing,,,,,,I got to where I had to look things over for an hour scared I'de missed some horrible bad symbol linking me up with the wrong god......Just for laughs I will share a couple of boo boos I made in my naivety

1. I bought this beautiful hand embroidered blouse (white on white) from Mexico....should have had a clue there....but because I neglected to scrutinize it carefully I spent the entire day at the assembly full of spirit and love for god whith a big ol cross embroidered on the back of it. HMMMM what did the people behind me think.

2. I was at a wedding shower and I bought this beautiful card that just said the right thing......and there was quite a buzz about some pagan relative that must have got that card cause again.....I didn't notice the tiny and I mean tiny cross that was on the top of a church on it...OOPS I just thought it was a pretty village in the snow.

3 god forbid my child mentioned that she liked scooby doo....ya know the demon influenced cartoon for crist sake......It's a fn cartoon

I like men with long hair....and short, I don't want to know the root structure of every god damn thing that has come into exhistance (I don't know if light cussing is allowed, I mean no offense) It's just garsh darn and well golly gosh I don't know....just doesn't impact my point.

I am so grateful for the distance I have gained from the "programming"

Ok I guess the spell check is not working cause I know this is full of mistakes.........Is that bad?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome mebeme.

You've touched on so many "little" things that have to be learned as a jw! Thank you for sharing those insights. Sometimes its hard to remember all those little rules we had.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about you, welcome to the board.

Hugs,

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit