Wow! A year has gone by?

by Valis 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Well I've been here a year today. Just a note to all the great people I have met here and have yet to meet in person. I remember the day I found this site. I was doing my usual dig through the Internet and on this day I was looking particularly for Flood information, as my parents had so discretely placed the Noah video at the home of my children (Its now playing somewhere in a landfill near you) and an old JW friend of mine, but unfortunately was not having much luck. For one reason or another, maybe it was demons and the holy spirit, that I thought a look for "Former Jehovahs Witnesses" might yield some information. Lo and behold! I hit the jackpot. It was so good to talk to so many people from JWland that knew how I might have felt or had lived a life mirrored to my own. How could I resist such a place and online? And what a great crowd of them too! The rest is archives...Anyway, thanks to all the people here for sharing, even the cretins have taught me things about human nature...which are valuable lessons indeed. We may have flame wars and talk shit to one another, but we all know the big list of commonalities that brings us back here, and those are the things that help us set aside the crap and gladly stay together.

I've been thinking for several days about this place and whether or not it could be considered a learning community. I would say yes, and that everyone has contributed in some form or another. My experience with learning communities has been where a class is taught by several teachers with a mixed group that consisted of other teachers and students. The subject at hand was covered by so many different perspectives it became much more like a group learning experience instead of traditional classroom delivery or having teacher/s at all. Everyone collectively teaching one another, questioning, answering, and contributing to a feed of information/knowledge/experience. That is how I think it is here to a large extent and I have to say its been very good for me, not to mention I now know more about pizza than I ever thought possible.

Then there is another matter. The matter of friends. To date I have met over fifty members of this board, and all of which I would consider a friend. You may say that meeting 50 people in a year is not that big of a deal, but to make 50 or so friends that treat you like family is another matter entirely. Thanks to you all, the pleasure in meeting you has been all mine. and the rest of you be forewarned...the spring and summer months demand that I make my rounds tending to the needs of the flock.. I admonish you all to meet and hang out and travel to see each other as often as you can. Its good and for you in so many ways, as it most definitely has been for me. Nothing like a good catharsis I always say.

Thanks to all and Mr. Angharad for sharing a great year with me. I'm hoping we'll all have an even better one in 03!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BABY< GOT YOU ON MY....MMMIIII IINNNDDDD!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Valis,you were and are,a good addition to the board.When I`m down your way we`ll go for a brewski..When I`m in the U.S.,I drink only imported beer.."Molson Canadian",LOL!!...OUTLAW

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Vassal

Happy Anniversary to you I agree that this place is a learning community, although at times I find it very shallow and I get impatient with some people...still, I've learned a lot about other people and even *eureka!* about myself.

*raises a glass of eggnog in silent salute*

Dana

• riz
    riz

(((((((((Valis)))))))))) Happy anniversary

if i ever make it over to texas you're on my list of people to hang out with.

i look forward to many hours of corrupt association with the texan bongregation! i remember when you coined that phrase. i'm still lmao @ that one

love, riz

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

That was just beautiful , man,,,,,,,,, very well said and from the heart. I think I might tear up again.....

Really expression like this make me so grateful to be part of this board, part of the growing ex jw group.

Valis, you were one of the first ones here to listen to my endless chatter in chat , we sure had alot of laughs . I hope that this next year will be just as good to you, another year of learning and growing.

I am not joking about the mudbug treat ,,,,,,, it is in March , end of March Usually. They are the best, you will love the ones at this certain place , Wild and I go to. Then we shall really celebrate our friendship with a night , or nights on the town ,,,,,,, WildTurkey style.

I really feel honored to be your friend Valis, and to be considered like family.

So here's to Valis and his year at JWD..........*lifting glass of cheap champayne * ,,,,May the year 2003 be even better,, even more parties, and old and new friends being together more often................. HERE!! HERE!!!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Happy Anniversary District Overbeer! Time's fun when you having flies. Cruzan and I really enjoyed meeting you, and everyone else, at Gloria's. We were both a little nervous about showing up, but you were really great. You greeted both of us with open arms (literally) and that meant a lot. After all the judgment and disapproval from the Witnesses it felt really good to be accepted for who we are. You're a good man Valis, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chris

• rebel
    rebel

Valis,

I was interested that you came across this site while looking for something else. I was looking for some info on Moses when I came across it and I haven't regretted it for one minute. I am so glad to know that I am not as freaky as my elders make out. I have learnt so much in such a short space of time.

• LB
    LB

So the overbeer writes a sappy feel good message huh?

Sign of weakness man, sign of weakness.

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* You folks are great. Thanks for the replies..Oh and LB, I think perhaps your spirit is not one of mildness...perhaps we need to arrange committee meeting over beers..eheh..small joke..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit