Won't get fooled again ...Moon Landing.

by The Rebel 579 Replies latest jw friends

• never a jw
    never a jw

Viv,

Please tell us how you really feel about it. Don't hold back.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well this newbie on the forum, has observed that negative interactions seem to cause more attention, and divert from the topic.

is this rewarding to me?

Well it's a sunny, Sunday, August day, the lake water is warm, I have ice cold beer in the fridge....

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

kenninghallprimaryschool.com

oh well before I go swimming let's get back on topic. Re the comment it's " It's a stupid subject for kids to discuss, get it" and highlighted in red so I got it.

The above link is to a primary school held in very high regard in England and it is interesting that the FRONT page of their home page highlights " class debate- did the moon landing happen" with a picture of 9 & 10 year old children in school uniform debating the issue.

It should be noted that at my sons school it was the teacher who highlighted bringing the matter to class debate not myself.

Anyway I am sure we have many more examples of primary's schools that think this debate is relevant for children aged 10, and not a stupid debate.

Oubliette, I apologise for the intellectual snob, comment. It was not in reference to you not conforming to my ideas, but to your correcting my grammar. ( And of course your correct poor grammar can be used to weaken a persons argument on a debating forum)

The Rebel.

• prologos
    prologos

On your next vacation to the US take the kids to Cape Canaveral, to see Displays, ( just an hour from Disney), so they will know what they are debating about.

When this moon trip developed I took a tour of the center, got space-sick in the empty cathedral-like Assembly Building and sneered as the guide announced that they would put the rocket together here,- and LAND ON THE MOON. "the Anglo American Empire IS the wt's false prophet." I thought. "this proves it". Then , when they planted Old Glory on the Moon I wondered why Jesus did not strike them dead, just puncture their suits for having escaped from Satan's monopoly domain down on the Earth. --Wt doctrine had no basis in reality for me from then on.

won't get fooled again.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Kennighall primary school:-

Aims And Values:- To inspire, motivate and encourage children in all aspects of learning so that every individual can fulfil their potential

Class debate- did the moon landing really happen

kenninghallprimaryschool.com/2011/10/Falcons/photo-26.

As for the universe being flat. Of course believing doesn't make it so. And neither does not believing make it not so.But i have an open mind.Who knows what will be discovered in the future. The shape of the universe is something mathematicians, scientists, philosophers ,and curious people have wondered, and still wonder. Is it flat like a sphere?or negatively curved like a saddle ?or flat like a piece of paper.? shall we ask the children of kenninghall primary school? Why not?

The Rebel.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

They should have a debate on weather or not the atomic bombs that were dropped by the US on Japan really happened. It could have been a series of high explosives with nuclear debris thrown in (Dirty Bomb). With the technology available at the time the Japanese and the rest of the world could easily have been fooled. Solving complex riddles like this helps all individuals fulfill their full intellectual potential.

Maybe I should start a thread on that ?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I think if you want to start an interesting debate on the subject, you could ask:-

Do you think the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime or a terrible act of war?

I am sure that would create an interesting debate, but personally I don't think it's a topic to joke about.

The Rebel.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    The above link is to a primary school held in very high regard in England and it is interesting that the FRONT page of their home page highlights " class debate- did the moon landing happen" with a picture of 9 & 10 year old children in school uniform debating the issue.

I don't think it's necessarily a stupid subject to discuss you could use it as an exercise in critical thinking. Students could be assigned to each side of the issue. Halfway through the exercise, the students would switch sides and argue those points. The teacher would have to be clear that the vast majority of people who are in the relevant fields do not support the hoax theory.

For example, one thing the conspiracy theorists think proves the landing is a hoax is the fact that some videos, the flag appears to be flapping. But this was because the flag had just been placed, the inertia from when it was let go caused it to move. Also, the astronauts accidentally bent the rod a few times causing the flag to move. The process of making an argument, then being challenged by the counter argument could be a good way to teach critical thinking.

The only problem I have with your OP and other things you have stated is that you assume the the hoax theory is equally as valid a point of view as not believing the landing is a hoax. That is where you go wrong. It has been said many times here that extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. People who are educated and work in this field do not believe the landing is a hoax, so in my mind to be convinced it is a hoax would take a considerable amount of proof. I have looked at at the evidence and it is lacking. On almost every point there is a explanation that seems valid to me.

I think people believe it because they distrust science and scientists in general. That is a huge mistake to me. What do you think those people are doing for six years or more in higher education, playing tiddely winks? They study that long because it's complicated and hard. They are taught to look at facts and evidence and think critically. Anybody can make a theory and put it on the internet, but it doesn't mean it's a valid theory. Scientific information is peer reviewed and rigorously tested and challenged, conspiracy theories are not.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TR: Do you think the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime or a terrible act of war?

Finally, a serious subject for discussion!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

R: Do you think the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime or a terrible act of war?

Finally, a serious subject for discussion!

Yes, I just read an interesting article about in the Washington Post. It challenged most of the things that have been said about it, that it shortened the war, etc. Perhaps we should have a thread about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit