Donkey's never-ending atheism thread

by donkey 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

MrMoe,

Thanks for your reply

You said:

Well, just because a person has morals does not mean they have to be bible or faith based.

I know -- that's what I am trying to point out.

Why do most humans have morals and don't want to hurt other humans, when most animals simply live by "survival of the fittest"?

To harm fellow human beings is wrong, plain and simple.

I simply asked Why you believe those things are wrong, and your answer was "Because they are Wrong".

I don't get your point? So just because we do not believe in God means that our views are a no-holds-barred lifestyle? Come now, that doesn't make sense.

That's not what I was trying to get at -- I explained above what I was originally trying to say.

Your religious leaders have done a mighty fine job of brain washing you.

Wow. Ask a couple of simple questions and now I am a brain washed follower of some religious fanatics.

You're right, back when I was a JW, they gave me a pretty good brain washing.

Since then, I have read the Scriptures by myself -- I don't even go to a Church, and I most certainly have no "religious leaders" except God.

So, those who do not believe in god are thought of as "heathen" barbarics.

I did not mean to imply this at all.

My main point was why humans have morals and why do humans care what happens to other humans, especially those who are not close to them, since animals live by "survival of the fittest" and most probably don't care at all what happens to other animals.

Why are humans different?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Why do you believe that Stealing is wrong?

Why do you believe that Rape is wrong?

Why do you believe that Hurting Fellow Humans is wrong?

Undisfellowshipped:

My answer to all those questions is the same: because it is not in the collective self-interest.

However, humans have not always believed the above things to be wrong, nor are all of them universally believed to be wrong on all occasions now. For instance, a war in Iraq will undoubtedly hurt fellow Humans, yet there is a majority in favour of it, viewing it as a justified, necessary, and therefore "good" course of action.

Why is it that sometimes actions that hurt other Humans can be viewed as a good thing to do, and other times that same action can be viewed as an evil thing to do? Self-interest, which governs human behaviour, and thus forms our morals and ideas of "good" and "evil".

In its basic form, self-interest is entirely brutal, a no-holds-barred war between all individuals, and this is the default state of humanity. As society develops, so brute self-interest becomes enlightened, or collective, self-interest, which is based upon co-operation, and thus activities such as the above which are not in the colelctive self-interest become viewed as bad.

Animals too have a limited amount of collective self-interest, banding together in packs and prides etc. Humans are simply the most intelligent of the animals, and have developed the concept further. But there is no fundamental difference in the default state of humans and other animals.

Now here's a couple of questions for you:

Why does God view rape as being wrong?

Did God decide that rape was wrong, or does he simply acknowledge the inherent wrongness of rape?

If God simply aknowledged the inherent wrongness of rape, then why do we need God to set our morals for us?

Assuming that God is the arbiter of right and wrong, then if God had decided that rape was right, would that make it right?

Expatbrit

Edited by - expatbrit on 29 December 2002 0:26:35

• MrMoe
    MrMoe
    My main point was why humans have morals and why do humans care what happens to other humans, especially those who are not close to them, since animals live by "survival of the fittest" and most probably don't care at all what happens to other animals.

Because humans are not like other animals. We have evolved into "superior" beings. We have a much wider variety of emotion. Such as compassion. And yet, even animals can show basic "morals." Mother alligators as an example. They protect thier offspring.

Why do we care? Because of one word. Love. Human beings are capable of this word, and to love does not always mean a self-love, but love of fellow man. Some people are mentally askew in this sense, and this is where the criminal mindset comes into play. They put thier selfish needs and desires before others. It would hurt me to bring harm to another person, simply because I am capable of this word we call Love.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Thanks for all your comments.

Good questions expatbrit!

expatbrit said:

Why does God view rape as being wrong?

Did God decide that rape was wrong, or does he simply acknowledge the inherent wrongness of rape?

It is my belief that God decides what is RIGHT and what is WRONG.

If God simply aknowledged the inherent wrongness of rape, then why do we need God to set our morals for us?

I don't believe God simply acknowledged anything -- I believe God defines what is RIGHT and what is WRONG.

Assuming that God is the arbiter of right and wrong, then if God had decided that rape was right, would that make it right?

Very good question.

It is my belief that God gave each of us a conscience and that if we feel that something is VERY WRONG, then that is what God feels is WRONG.

Whatever God says is RIGHT is RIGHT and whatever God says is WRONG is WRONG.

God would not say that rape is right because of His Love and Justice which is in harmony with humans' consciences.

I wouldn't be a follower of Jesus Christ [God in the Flesh] if Jesus had condoned or practiced things that were VERY WRONG according to my God-given conscience, such as Murder, Rape, Stealing.

Instead, Jesus taught that Christians should have unconditional love for everyone, including even their enemies who tortured them.

Jesus taught that Christians should do to others what you want them to do to you.

Jesus taught that Christians should not judge others if they themselves do not want to be judged.

Jesus is the very Personification of Love and Justice.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 29 December 2002 1:20:14

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

MrMoe said:

Because humans are not like other animals. We have evolved into "superior" beings. We have a much wider variety of emotion. Such as compassion.

I have a question for you.

Since atheists believe there is NO God/Creator....

If there is NO Intelligence guiding Evolution, how does Evolution "choose" how to evolve certain species?

How does Evolution "know" that a certain animal needs to evolve differently?

According to scientists, apes have survived for thousands or millions of years just fine, so why would Evolution decide that apes needed to evolve "into 'superior' beings that have a much wider variety of emotion such as compassion"?

Is love and compassion necessary for survival?

Think about this -- All those New York City Firemen on 9-11 DIED because they had love and compassion for other humans.

They could have just not tried to save anyone else, and then they would have SURVIVED -- which is, I believe, the whole idea behind Evolution -- "Survival of the Fittest", correct?

So why would Evolution cause humans to have such a wide range of emotions such as love and compassion, since love and compassion have nothing to do with Survival as far as I can tell.

Apes have Survived for millenniums without having the range of love and compassion that humans have.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 29 December 2002 3:2:49

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi UnDisfellowshipped,

You're covering old ground here. Nevertheless, I'll bite.

: I think what I was getting at is, if we humans are simply higher forms of animals -- do apes feel that it is morally wrong to hurt (or steal from) other apes simply because they themselves do not want to be hurt (or robbed)?

Never having conversed with an ape about such problems of morality, I cannot say what they feel. However, some apes do steal from each other, kill one another, kill each other's babies, make war on other ape clans, and so forth. By most human standards they don't appear particularly moral, any more than many humans do.

But that's not really your question. What you really are asking about is whether apes have feelings about morality. The answer is: No one knows. However, my suspicion is that apes have little capacity for introspection, or at least have far less capacity for it than do humans. So I doubt that apes concern themselves with such things as stealing or hurting each other.

Your line of questioning is an attempt to show that there can be no such thing as morality without God.

: If not, why did humans develop this?

Probably for survival value as a social species. Likely it's bound up with the evolution of religious capacity. There is an interesting new book by one Pascal Boyer called Religion Explained: The Evolutionary Origins of Religious Thought that tackles this question. I've only read a few dozen pages, but it gives some interesting thoughts on how religiously based morality developed due to evolutionary pressures.

Let me pose a side-thought for you: Since we differ from one ape species, the chimpanzees, by only about 2% in our DNA, how is it that so great a gap in mentality, emotions, morality and so forth can exist?

: I personally feel that those things are wrong for different reasons:

: * The same as you (I don't want them done to me)

Good!

: * My conscience

Yet another interesting consequence of social evolution.

: * God forbids those things

Ah, the crux! But Bible believers have a terrible problem here: If, as you told expatbrit, God defines morality, then whatever God says is moral, is moral. And whatever he says isn't, isn't. But this notion immediately throws out the idea that morality can exist independently of God, and so we have no basis for judging for ourselves that God is moral. I.e., if "moral" is what God says is moral, then everything God says or does is by definition "moral" -- otherwise God would be self-inconsistent, and we can't have that! Thus, if God says that killing people on a whim is moral, then it is. And if God says that eating your neighbors' babies is ok, then that's fine too.

Do you see where this is leading? Do you see why it's old ground?

The bottom line is that if God defines morality, then God-given morality has no more or less meaning than does 'ape morality', if you will, since both appear rather arbitrary. But if morality exists independently of God, then God is irrelevant to it, since we would be able to judge for ourselves whether any particular act by God is itself moral.

So asking leading questions like "Why do humans have morality" really accomplishes nothing, since none of us really have any good answers. Evolutionary scientists certainly can't trace its development, and a religious person's saying, "God did it" really gives no information except that the person has faith that God did it.

According to various biblical accounts, God is changeable to the point of arbitrariness with regard to certain things we consider moral questions. This is particularly so with respect to how those who claimed to be God's servants treated those who didn't, especially in many Old Testament stories. God's servants were not allowed to kill each other, steal goods from each other, steal each other's wives (note the sexism here), and so forth. But God's servants were not merely allowed, but often encouraged, according to these ancient stories, to do such things to whoever they considered God's enemies. Naturally the people who justified their cultural traditions in these stories presented excuses as to why they could properly kill other peoples, steal their women and so forth, but we today generally do not accept such excuses from anyone, except that some religious people make exceptions for the characters in those ancient stories. Why the double standards by some religious people? Because they cannot see beyond their narrow religious cultures, and to admit of the inconsistency would necessitate abandoning their religion.

Just to forestall the question, I am not an atheist. I am a thorough-going agnostic. I mean this in the sense that I cannot prove that any God or Creator or supernatural being or super-being or anything like that exists or does not exist. I simply do not know. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure that nothing like the God of the Bible exists. This biblical God seems quite out of its mind, but the physical universe, while surprisingly strange, is not out of its 'mind', and it does not seem possible to me that an insane God could create a sane universe.

You made some comments and posed some questions to other posters, and I will comment on a few of those.

: Why do most humans have morals and don't want to hurt other humans, when most animals simply live by "survival of the fittest"?

Most animals are not particularly introspective, and live by instinct. Instinct is the programming that governs much of animal behavior, including the behavior of humans. Recent studies have shown that an amazing amount of human behavior is governed, not by learning, but by instinct. We have little idea how much of our supposedly altruistic behavior is governed by instinct and how much is learned. Human cultures tend to teach that much of it is learned, but many animal species -- even relatively "simple" ones such as ants and bees -- illustrate how much of altruistic behavior can be built-in, or instinctual.

Furthermore, what is your justification for implying that living by "survival of the fittest" necessarily entails hurting other humans? People tend to know, apparently often by instinct, that survival of the group implies survival of self, and vice versa. Studies during the past 30 years have shown that many animal species do not live exclusively by "survival of the fittest" on an individual basis, but also on a species basis. The notion is that by helping the species survive, an animal is helping its own genes to survive, and therefore to propagate, which is the most basic of evolutionary ideas. That evolution is largely about the propagation or reproduction of genes is about the most basic of modern evolutionary notions.

You said to MrMoe:

: Since atheists believe there is NO God/Creator.... If there is NO Intelligence guiding Evolution, how does Evolution "choose" how to evolve certain species?

: How does Evolution "know" that a certain animal needs to evolve differently?

Your questions show that you have not actually studied the subject at all, at least, apart from the stereotypical anti-evolutionary writings of people like the JWs, various Fundamentalists, and perhaps even the relatively recent "intelligent design creationists". If you have, then do inform me of the works you have studied that are not from the above people.

Since no sane scientist who studies evolution would say that evolution is an entity that should be described by a capitalized and anthropomorphized term such as "Evolution", and no such scientist would describe evolution as "choosing" anything at all, your question is entirely off the mark. According to modern theory, evolution works by several different mechanisms, including a bit of random "genetic drift", the traditional slow and gradual evolution that tends to pick out individuals who are best at surviving until somewhat past the onset of reproductive maturity, and by a rather faster mechanism usually put under the umbrella term "punctuated equilibrium". Many scientists allow that other, as yet undescribed mechanisms, may be at work. Therefore there is no "Evolution" that can "choose" anything at all.

According to modern evolutionary theory, species often gradually drift away from their present norm of morphology. This drift can be seen in the fossil record (references given upon request). Given a stable environment, species can remain morphologically stable for tens of millions of years. Nothing says that a species must evolve or must remain stable -- what happens is what happens, and most of the time we have no idea of the specifics involved.

You should rephrase your questions in a more precise fashion, and then people will be able to comment more precisely.

In case you object to my request that you phrase your questions more precisely, think about the following scenario: Suppose that you as a Christian apologist are asked to defend the history of Christianity. How would you answer the following questions? How did the many existing sects of Christianity evolve? What force was involved in their evolution? Since they are all in conflict to some extent (otherwise they would be united), how can it be said that Christians are not all a bunch of apostates, as the Jehovah's Witnesses teach?

I look forward to your answers. When such are forthcoming, I have many other questions for you.

AlanF

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Thank you for your reply AlanF,

I will definitely read over it again and reply ASAP.

You are right, I did use bad wording on a few of my questions.

When I said "Evolution", I meant the entire process of evolution, I did not mean it as an "entity" (I know it sounded that way though).

I will try to rephrase the question soon.

Thanks for your replies.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Undisfellowshipped:

Thanks for your reply. This kind of debate about morality has been going on for at least 2300 years, and probably will go on for the next 2300 too.....lol

From your reply, I gathered pretty clearly that your viewpoint is that God decides what is right and wrong. Using the example of rape, God has decided that rape is wrong.

The next logical question is: why did God decide that rape is wrong?

There are two options to this question:

1) It was an arbitrary decision, the equivalent of God flipping the divine coin.

2) As you said:

God would not say that rape is right because of His Love and Justice

Option 2, though, is just another way of saying that God recognises the inherent wrongness of rape, because of His qualities of Love and Justice. In this case God merely recognises a moral position, and therefore he doesn't determine the moral position.

So, if God doesn't determine morality, who does? Is there an even higher moral power than God? Of course, if it is postulated that there is, then exactly the same argument can be applied to that higher entity. We get into a never-ending spiral of ever higher moral authorities.

This is why I think that there can be no such thing as an absolute source of morality. Instead, everyone determines their own morality, which frequently differs from others.

The real world reflects this. If there was a God as an absolute source of morality, we would expect that there could be no moral questions or ethical dilemmas. The absolute moral code of God would be perfect and cater to every conceivable situation. There would be no moral disagreements possible, and ideas of morality would never change.

If however, everyone determines their own morality, we can expect to see differences in moral opinions, and conflict between different ideas of morality. We can expect to see ideas of morality changing as human society develops (and in some cases regresses).

Looking at the world of human society, it's clear which of the two above scenarios fits reality.

Expatbrit

• donkey
    donkey

Why do most humans have morals and don't want to hurt other humans, when most animals simply live by "survival of the fittest"?

Undisfellowshipped,

So if MOST animals don't want to hurt other animals then do the remaining ones have the guidance of God? Are they true worshippers?

Also, there are religions that do not believe in the same God as you do, yet they have moral principles in their teachings - how do you know they aren't right and Christianity is wrong?

Then there are atheists who don't try to hurt others and in fact are more peace loving and less judgemental than most of the Christians I have met here - why is God showing them the right way but failing to do so with his own people who claim to love him and follow him?

Survival of the fittest requires us to have the ability to make love and to make war...

Jack

• donkey
    donkey

Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science? ... No other human institution comes close. -- Carl Sagan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit