Donkey's never-ending atheism thread

by donkey 189 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rem
    rem

LucidSky,

I don't believe it's techinically correct to say that atheists believe they can prove god does not exist. Very few atheists, for sure, may take such a stance, but none of the atheists I know, including myself, do. Atheism is just the absence of belief in any gods. It doesn't imply any knowledge that there really is no god. Most atheists that I know seem to be agnostic atheists. That is, they don't believe in any gods because of lack of evidence, but they also realize that there is no way to prove a negative... just like no one can prove that Invisible Pink Unicorns don't exist.

If there were compelling evidence for the existence of one or more gods I certainly would believe. Why wouldn't I? So far the god's aren't talking, though.

rem

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

I understand what you're saying and I could describe myself as an 'agnostic atheist' then. If there is a greater being out, he hiding really good.

just like no one can prove that Invisible Pink Unicorns don't exist.

Sure they do. They live on Pluto.

• Focus
    Focus

"For God so loved the world that he screwed up" --Fookus 3:16

SwedishChef:
    Contrary to your assertion

There is little evidence to back up the theory of evolution, the big bang

(a) the Earth is filled with proof that Evolution is the correct explanation; and
    (b) the observed Universe is filled with proof that there was a big bang.

If we came from monkeys where are all the hundreds of missing link species

1. We did not exactly "come from monkeys", but shared common ancestors.
    2. "We" killed off many transitional species, for reasons of competition for scarce resources - and maybe because "we" are natural born killers who hate most what is pretty similar to us. The grating of Protestants against Catholics, and Muslims against Christians, etc., serve as modern-day examples of what may have been a long-existent trait.
    3. The prevalence of fossils is mathematically just as expected, given the improbability of both preservation and recovery.

He who argues against the existence of transitional life forms is in danger of HIMSELF serving as a COUNTER-EXAMPLE to his own misguided contention.

Meditate on this one: "Faith is .. believing what you know ain't so."

--
    Focus
    (Samuel* the Agnostic Class)

*that is Langhorne Clemens, not that imaginary bozo Ishmael from a book of fables.

• Focus
    Focus

Re: FIGS and PIGS and ASSES and TREES....

On the futility of educating a "literal creationist":
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Windchaser:

Well, that's it for me. That new light on the fig tree episode did it

Then, you missed my pull from Genesis 30:37-9 at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41460&site=3&page=5 where we learn how to get virtual condoms off from cattle? Beats the ass and the figs any day.

I'm gonna be an atheist.

Please note that Christianity, and to a slightly lesser degree its offspring Islam, are the two most illogical and absurd of the world's "major" religions ("major" as measured by number of idiotsadherents). So a demonstration of the utter nonsense of the Bible does not, per se, indicate that atheism is the indicated course. One or more of the other "major" religions might have the truth. Or the same from among the "minor" ones. Or unadulterated Buddhism (no God, but..). Or your own one. Or that God exists, but all of man's searching for God has been in vain. Or.. no God.

Jesus talked to trees. Yeah, like I'm really gonna follow this guy.

Follow Our Man Clint, then!

I talk to the trees
    But they don't listen to me
    I talk to the stars
    But they never hear me
    The breeze hasn't time
    To stop and hear what I say
    I talk to them all in vain

But suddenly my words
    Reach someone else's ears
    Touch someone else's heartstrings, too
    I tell you my dreams
    And while you're listening to me
    I suddenly see them come true

I can see us on an April night
    Sipping brandy underneath the stars
    Reading poems in the candlelight
    To the strumming of guitars

I will tell you all the books I've read
    And the way I met the King of France
    Then I'll send the servants off to bed
    And I'll ask you for a dance

But suddenly my words
    Reach someone else's ears
    Touch someone else's heartstrings, too
    I tell you my dreams
    And while you're listening to me
    I suddenly see them come true...

The trouble is not with talking to trees. The problem is when you start hearing them reply.

--
    Focus
    (Logic Class)

• donkey
    donkey

Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else -- and it hasn't -- it's that girls should stick to girl's sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
    -- Homer Simpson

• donkey
    donkey

When you meet the unbelievers, strike off their heads; then when you have made wide slaughter among them, carefully tie up the remaining captives. -- Holy Qu'ran

• Focus
    Focus

Click here to read Why People Believe Weird Things

Some are approaching it with:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/userposts.asp?id=1337&site=3
    and
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/userposts.asp?id=6420&site=3
    in view, but that was not necessarily intended. It is a wide-open thread, without an ass in sight (as yet).

All honest ones are welcomed. The rest can and shall serve as target practise for others.

--
    Focus
    (Pointer Class)

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Did you know another name for KenpoDragon or (AtlantisDragon) is ...Clint ?..

Snoozy....

Saw it on a list of people looking for other X-JW's

Saw some familiar other names too!

http://www.watchtowernews.org/findexjws.htm

Edited by - Golden Girl on 6 December 2002 20:33:55

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Slice up the universe one way, and you shall find God. Slice it up another, and ye shall find Evolution, Spontaneous Generation, and Ye Olde Bigge Bange.

For me, the Biggest Bang is that which I and my lover engage in, therein do I finde Godde - and he has a sense of Hummoure.

Godde liketh not the atheist, for the atheist is far from Goddliness, and Cleanliness, and therefore doth the Atheist Stinkke.

The Atheist Liketh not the Godde, for He hath no Eyes, yet Sees All - What Manner of Being Is Thiss that Seeth without Eyes? A Potatoe?

And Thus the twain revolve around each other, the Potatoe and the Stinker, and the cycle of life is Compplette.

Ye Olde CZAR

• Focus
    Focus

Golden Girl said:

Did you know another name for KenpoDragon or (AtlantisDragon) is ...Clint ?..

Why do you need to ask? Do you associate me with coincidences?
    I don't talk to the trees for nothing, ma'am.

--
    Focus
    (Monitor Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit