My Wife Says She'll Read Franz' Crisis Of Conscien

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What do you think of encouraging her to read Ray's other book, "In search of Christian Freedom"? Or looking at different websites (that won't scare her off)?

• Simon
    Simon

Angharad used to sneak on the computer when I was at work and read all the apostate sites I'd been visiting

It worked for her! She had to finally admit I was right

I'd stick to the better quality sites though like Freeminds and Quotes is a very good one too (have a look in the links forum)

Crisis of Conscience is a very good book to read too.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, she's read COC. It hit her hard but she still went thru the motions. Recently she has been reunited with her family and ENJOYS it without too much apparent guilt. But I will have her look at Freeminds too. Thanx

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Minimus, I'm happy for you! Is your wife's family j.w.s and do they know she is reading coc?

It's funny looking back when we got our computer. He warned me about apostate sites! lol Said that some of them would look like j.w. sites, but they wouldn't be!!! Too funny. I was the first one that started reading apostate sites and when I started, I couldn't stop. I remember reading untill the early morning hours. Honestly I felt as if my whole life had been a lie. Keep us posted on her responce to coc. It opened my eyes.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Minimus,

If your wife is very spiritual and feels the lack of formal worship in her life, I think it would be very beneficial for her to read "In Search of Christian Freedom." It debunks a lot of the unique-to-the-JWs teachings in a very nice and kind way and I found it allowed me to let go of some lingering doubts over doctrines that are pounded into the JW psyche over and over again (but with faulty logic). Also, she may want to just read in the Bible itself -- no study "aids" -- fifteen minutes daily. See what it says to her -- how it speaks to her, personally, without WT shading of meanings interfering with the flow.

I agree with Simon freeminds.org is a good place to start on the internet -- maybe the Bethelite personal experiences? I personally found BeyondJehovahsWitnesses.com to my liking -- evenhanded, not too strident for a "reformed friend" newbie. I remember not being able to handle WatchtowerObserver AT ALL!!! (Though I came to value it later.)

I also re-read "Crisis of Conscience". Still cried at the Mexico-Malawi chapter the second time through... was even angrier, if possible.

We will welcome Mrs. Min with open hearts when and if she decides to post here. I'm glad she's renewed family ties, too. They're precious.

Sincerely,

out

Nickey,

I think the May2002 is the updated version of COC containing the UN information. However, to be certain, you can check at www.commentarypress.com, which is Ray's publisher's site.

outnfree

• gumby
    gumby

Wow! Just saw this thread and that it had been since march since it was brought back. Great News Min!!!!! I can't imagine how I would feel were my wife to do this. I'm happy for the both of you.

Her best friend has talked very little to her recently and when she does, she always asks,"Did you go to the meeting?"........She is unwittingly alienating my wife. As she said to me yesterday, "She thinks that as long s you go out in service and go to the meetings, you can do anything that you want to do."

When ones mate drifts from the borg and the other friends begin to treat them differently, the other mate notices this treatment. This "treatment" is what pushes the other mate out oftentimes. I know my wife has seen treatment of me by others that to her must seem simply ridiculous. Our mates KNOW we are still the same people with feelings.......but the "friends" think you have gone weird. The mate sees how others now view you, and that is many times the very thing that gets them out also.

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

In my wife's case, she really had only 2 friends that we regularly vacationed with or she went with for fun. One married, recently an "unbeliever", the other is married also to an "unbeliever" that's been studying off and on for 40 years. He knows which end is up but his wife's a rather pushy woman that can make his life difficult when she goes on a rant. I tend to think that since we've had some private conversations about the "truth" in the past and they have not told the elders or others about our thinking, that it's killing them, esp. my wife's best friend. So, she's being aloof and weird towards my wife and that response is pushing her futrher away from "jehovah's "loving organization".

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

How come no one has David A. Reeds' site on the link list?

http://www.cftf.com/

Yiz

• gumby
    gumby

Good!

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

Yiz, I used to read that site a few years back too, but it seems that it's hardly ever updated. But there are some very good points made on David's site....I remember a School Instructor talking about how he was such a terrible apostate and how he was the first liberal, before he came into the "truth", to burn the USA flag. He made his case saying that he was always a fault finder and non-conformist and ready to disagree with the "slave".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit