To Ros, Re. "Ouija Please"

by IslandWoman 53 Replies latest jw friends

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

MegaDude,

As I understand it, flipping coins and pulling straws are modern forms of casting lots. Prayer would have to accompany the practice in order to make it anything like the ancient custom. Another difference is that the ancient Jews had assurance their prayers would be answered, but in modern times most people are not so sure.

We can't precisely cast lots in the ancient way since nobody knows what materials were used or how it was done. Some scholars believe several stones, or perhaps precious gems, were cast from a clay jug. Others connect the practice with Urim and Thummin, precious stones that were on, by or in the breastplate of Israel's high priest. The high priest used these stones in making important decisions, but it isn't known exactly how that was done. (Ex 28:30)

I hope this helps.

fjtoth

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

The Britannica Concise- Yahoo reference

Divination:

Practice of discerning the hidden significance of events and foretelling the future. Divination is found in all societies, ancient and modern, though methods vary. In the West, psychics claim innate ability to predict the future, and horoscopes, palm reading, and tarot cards are popular methods of divination. Other methods involve or have involved interpreting dreams, discovering omens in natural events, reading the entrails of animals, casting lots, and consulting oracles. Divination has long been viewed as the province of specially gifted persons, such as prophets, shamans, and magicians. See also astrology.

In addition, the Microsoft Encarta includes the casting of lots as a form of divination in its Divination article also.

The Urim and Thummin are also considered to be a form of divination.

Approved divination was practiced by the Jews and the Apostles. Therefore it can also be practiced today was my point.

Also, I would like to know where I declared myself to be a Christian on this thread or any other recent thread, since I have been called a liar over it.

Let the "Christians" continue in their inane name calling while at the same time holding the cross to their bosom and declaring themselves disciples of Christ!

IW

Edited by - IslandWoman on 25 November 2002 15:43:49

• herk
    herk

IslandWoman,

Your post illustrates that people will see anything they really want to see. Please look at the Britannica definition again. It nowhere states that casting lots is "a form of divination." Instead, it states that "other methods" of divination "involve or have involved . . . casting lots."

Birthday celebrations "involve or have involved" a cake, but a cake is not necessarily a birthday cake. Some hospital treatments "involve or have involved" the use of herbal medicines, but the use of herbs is never a representation of hospital treatments. The pagan practice of divination can employ the use of lots. It can also involve the use of drugs, fire, water, chemicals, snakes and other animals, music, dancing, etc., but none of those things in themselves are a form of divination.

Similarly, the Encarta does not state that casting lots was "a form of divination," as you claim. It explains that ancient divination required "interpretation by a medium." The medium studied or pretended to study "the behavior of animals and natural phenomena, which might convey messages from the supernatural." That study or pretense at study utilized "casting lots" and other "means." Though the Encarta doesn't explain how the medium used lots, other sources do. They show that it was simply to determine which animal or corpse should be studied and which could be discarded. In other words, it was as simple a matter as our tossing of a coin or pulling straws to help us make a choice between two alternatives. Just as coins and straws are hardly to be viewed as instruments of divination, neither are lots.

Just as lots were studied, so were crack patterns in shells, the flight of birds, the flow of water and water patterns. In themselves, none of those things were "forms of divination." People today study the flight of birds because of their fascination with the animal kingdom, but that does not identify them as diviners.

Divination requires a diviner, medium or oracle. On the other hand, anyone could engage in the casting of lots. We don't need a priest on hand when we roll dice or toss coins or pick straws, and we wouldn't need the presence of any such person if we lived in ancient times and cast lots to help us make up our minds on some matters. Of course, some priests and other religious and national leaders did cast lots. Nevertheless, the casting of lots has never in history been on a par with forms of divination such as the study of the entrails of sacrificial animals (haruspication), the inspection of animals shoulder blades (scapulimancy), crystal gazing, palmistry, fortune-telling and astrology.

I'm not expecting to change your mind, IslandWoman. You've already committed yourself, and I really doubt you will back down from your position. That's okay. Your challenge added to my enlightenment, and I hope it did the same for others.

You wrote:

I am also not a Christian in the accepted use of the term.

I took you at your word. You didn't say "I am not a Christian." You added "in the accepted use of the term." That left the impression that you claim to be a Christian but not the ordinary kind. I think you should be able to understand that your sentence could be misleading. Since then, of course, your near anathema against Christians has convinced me that you indeed are not a Christian in any sense of the word.

Despite the strong words we've exchanged with each other, I hope we're still friends. Knowing the type of person you've shown yourself to be in other threads, I tend to think that your feeling is probably the same toward me. Thanks.

Herk

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Herk,

I leave your post without comment.

It is not I who am entrenched since I have been willing to learn from others and if you had had something to teach me I would have listened. The only lesson you had to teach me was the same one I learned in the Watchtower, the same lesson Jesus taught.

Yes, I do believe Jesus taught good things. It is his claimed followers who judge others, who in reality do not follow him but follow his adversary: the blind Pharisee of his day.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit