To Ros, Re. "Ouija Please"

by IslandWoman 53 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Ros,

I was just wondering what the phrase "ouija please" means and what is it's significance?

Thanks,

IW

• Mary
    Mary

the name Ouija comes from the French words Oui (meaning yes) and Ja (meaning no). This is what's on the ouija boards "Yes" and "No"..........

• Mum
    Mum

Mary,

I think "Ouija" comes from the French word for yes, "oui" and the German word for yes, "ja." The French word for no is "non."

In fact, I believe there was a Jeopardy "answer" on this very subject within the last week. I have never heard the word "ouija" except in connection with the board game.

• herk
    herk

Since "ouija" sounds so much like "wouldya" or "wouldja," some people in fun spell it "ouija please" when they mean "Would you please" do this or that. Perhaps, though, Ros means something else.

Herk

• ros
    ros

IW:

In the particular instance you are referring to, it was a play on words as well as intended to convey to certain ones that I am aware of some things that I will leave alone at this point.

~Ros

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Ros,

Thanks for the response.

If the above posters are correct about the "yes" and "no" meaning of the word ouija then I suppose it could be associated with the use of the Urim and Thummim by the High Priest of Israel, according to the Watchtower understanding of them at least.

IW

• herk
    herk

As Mum stated above, "ouija" means "yes, yes," not "yes, no."

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Herk,

Thanks for the correction. Do you know if a Ouija board has a "yes" and "no" on it?

Thanks,

IW

• donkey
    donkey

IW,

it does have a yes and a no on the board.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Donkey,

Thanks for confirming that.

Then I suppose it could be said that the Ouija board serves a similar purpose to the Urim and Thummim and even the "lots" cast by the Apostles.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit