To Ros, Re. "Ouija Please"

by IslandWoman 53 Replies latest jw friends

• herk
    herk

COMF,

You pagans are all alike! You know very well that your definitions come down to us from the ultra Platonic demon-worshipping demigodical Carzythians, and not from the original inspired manuscripts approved by the great giants of prehistoric and orthodox decipherers of the Palestinian cuneiform scrolls kept in the caves of El-Withitall.

On the other hand, maybe you've got something there, and I promise I'll consider it. Thanks for the contribution.

Herk

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Herk,

Acts 1:24 "Then they prayed and said, 'Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.' And they cast lots for them and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles."

Divination: "the art or practice that seeks to foresee or foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge usu. by the interpretation of omens or by the aid of supernatural powers." Merriam-Webster's

IW

• herk
    herk

IW,

You're going from bad to worse. Earlier you said the apostles cast lots with divine approval. Now you seem to be suggesting they did something wrong by praying to God and then casting lots for the choice of an apostle. You're even implying that they resorted in that instance to some form of omen divination.

So, which is it? Did the apostles cast lots with divine approval or were they consulting demons? You did say earlier, " My only point was that these things when used properly and by someone who is approved by God, will work. They will not work though if used to appeal to demons or the dead etc."

If I'm not reading you correctly, you have yourself to blame. Try explaining yourself instead of throwing in a Bible verse and a dictionary quotation as if I'm supposed to know what you have in mind by doing so.

Herk

• COMF
    COMF

Yeah, Herk, but anybody who has studied post-metafoozballic philanthropia should understand that those recent discoveries at El-Wazzamattayu have preempted neo-scocio-religio-coolio-exfoliolyptic thought. Or, in the words of professor emeritus of psythiocultic literature, Dr. Joe Schmoe: "nyaa nyaa ne boo boo."

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Herk,

The quote from the book of Acts and the dictionary were in response to your statement:

We've been discussing the "casting of lots," not divination.

My point was that they are one and the same. The difference was that the Apostles and Israelites conducted approved divination. I keep on saying that but you seem to be stuck in the Christian mentality of no divination is ever approved! What I am saying is Yes! it was approved if sanctioned by God.

They divined! They cast lots.

IW

• herk
    herk

IW,

Now you're making up your own definitions. No wonder we don't see eye-to-eye. Really, there's no way to deal with someone such as you. You have an answer for everything, no matter how illogical and ridiculous.

Call it what you will, the Bible does not refer to the casting of lots as divination, neither do English-language dictionaries. But apparently you think you know better.

You wrote:

you seem to be stuck in the Christian mentality

So why did you lie earlier and claim you were a Christian? Either we have a "Christian mentality" or we don't. Earlier it was okay. Now you ridicule it. You really are a piece of work, IW. You really are.

Herk

• herk
    herk

COMF,

My humble apologies. Finally I've met my match. In fact, I now bow to you as my superior. Thank you for shedding so much light upon one of the most awesome mysteries of the universe.

Herk

PS: Thanks for bringing some light-hearted humour into a discussion that's been getting a little too heavy.

• herk
    herk

Outoftheorg,

You're reading a whole lot more into this if you think it's come to the point of forgiveness and lack of forgiveness.

Herk

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Please. Welcome to the forum herk, but realize that we have more than enough dumb-asses posting already. Please do not go down the road of saying that casting lots is not a type of divination. If you posessed Ladonna Anna, Celtic, and Skeptic's vivid and colorful imaginations combined, you couldn't even begin to make that argument. There simply isn't room for another idiot on the board.

Tighten up now, before you even start, please.

• herk
    herk

SixofNine,

Thanks for the meaningless "welcome." Do you call people names all the time, just because you can't cope with the arguments they present?

You should know that I haven't made up my own language as you and IslandWoman are doing. We have to have standards, and when speaking English or Hebrew or Greek, the standard is the dictionary or a lexicon, not someone's whim or fancy.

Herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit