Labeling one self "Atheist" is Unscientific

by LAWHFol 449 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    _Morpheus

What is "evidence " in the minds of those that WANT to believe is vastly different than evidence in the eyes of those that question.

In my mind if the words: "Allah is eternal and Mohammed is his prophet" suddenly appeared in Arabic carved on the surface of Mars and it covered half the planet, it would certainly give me a moment of pause.

Heading for the next page...

• cofty
    cofty

I have quickly read the OP but not the rest of the thread.

Has anybody clearly defined "god" yet?

If not then the conversation is a waste of time.

• DJS
    DJS

ROTFLMAO, I mean LAWHfol,

I speak for one atheist. Me. Having said that, too many people place too much emphasis on the motives and rationale employed by atheists. IMHO I believe that all atheists SHOULD be individuals who require evidence before believing anything.

Taking an entrenched view is what theists do. Atheists have evolved past that, or at least they should have. I don't consider 'atheists' who are angry at god as atheists, because that isn't an atheist. That's an irrational, reactionary, emotional response to external or internal stimuli. And it's what theists do. Once such individuals get a job, get laid or whatever else ails them is at least temporarily fixed, they are likely to 'forgive' god and become believers again. They don't deserve to be labeled as atheists.

Like others have said, when verifiable, replicable evidence is provided that god exists, I will believe in her. Y'all theists give this WAY too much irrational, emotional energy.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Cofty,

Has anybody clearly defined "god" yet?

I believe Oubliette had Carl Sagan do the talking:

Oubliette

Carl Sagan had this to say about that:

• The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity. - As quoted in "Scientists & Their Gods" in U.S. News & World Report Vol. 111 (1991)
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Cofty

these threads are sorta like masterbaton. In the end we are all just playing with ourselves.

The god squad ignites these debates that go nowhere to prove no point. It becomes a debate on how well everyone argues and little is gained. Between everyone. Not theist vs atheist just everyone against each other. All they prove is what an inflammatory piece of shit religion is to the human species that weighs in more on emotion and superstition that fact and knowledge.

Everyone can go on with the debate about the debate now.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    383 pages left, freemind
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    freemindfade,
    The god squad ignites these debates that go nowhere to prove no point.
    I use these threads to check whether the god squad has come up with anything new yet.
    Which brings me to my fundamental reason:
    I check how atheism is molding theism.
    The arguments from five years ago aren't the ones used today.
    Five years ago, most christians would start by throwing up scripture.
    Then the irreducible complexity phase became more fashionable.
    Both were shot down in flames so today I see they try to use philosophical techniques more and more.
    This is going to have a profound impact on theism in the future. I believe.

• DJS
    DJS

Cofty,

Ditto (I"m a Cofty Ditto-Head for all you newbies): "All they prove is what an inflammatory piece of shit religion is to the human species that weighs in more on emotion and superstition than fact and knowledge."

• cofty
    cofty

How desperate are believers when they have to witter on about esoteric semantics?

First define your god then ask me if I believe or not.

• DJS
    DJS
    FMF,
    "This is going to have a profound impact on theism in the future. I believe."
    Resistance is futile. They will be assimilated.
    Excellent summary. I've only been on the site for just over 2 years, but I've seen it evolve to being more rational and less religious/scripture. If it hadn't I would have left a long time ago (hold your applause, all of you wishing I had :-).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit