Labeling one self "Atheist" is Unscientific

by LAWHFol 449 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    How sure are you that God does not exist? 100%?

Define "god" and I will tell you.

Every god that has ever been worshipped in human history - 100%

If you have invented some other god tell me all about her and I will give you a number for that one too.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Atheism simply means without belief in god/gods. This definition fits babies to a T.

I might be wrong but; how can they have disbelief in something they don't know about?

Would that not constitute obliviousness?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Agreed, If you read the context we are arguing, you will see that it is about absolute certainty. That is my understanding at least.
    And it can not be proven with absolute certainty
    I know that's what we were discussing. My point is that to even have the conversation in a frame of reference of absolute certainty is wrong on it's face, that's not even something science does.
  • cofty
    cofty

I would rather stick pins in my eyes than indulge this sort of semantics.

There is no god. If you happen to bump into him let me know. Until then .....

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I might be wrong but; how can they have disbelief in something they don't know about?

Did you lack belief in magical unicorns made of meteorite teapots that my dog poops out every morning until I just told you about them?

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    That example falls short. Not seeing a fly is not the same as not seeing an elephant. What size is the room? Is there something big enough to hide an elephant or fly? What methods were used to look?
    There are some exceptions, to be sure, but in your examples it is 100% reasonable to find the evidence if one is willing to look. Also, we know what flies and elephants are, their properties, etc., and how to detect them. In the case of god, anytime someone has been able to loosely define what we are looking for, then absence of evidence absolutely is evidence of absence.

It is not my example and it is simple to help laymen understand the logical fallacy and it's exceptions. It can be dissected like this but it is used to convey a point and assist in understanding.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It is not my example and it is simple to help laymen understand the logical fallacy and it's exceptions. It can bedissected [sic] like this but it is used to convey a point and assist in understanding.

Then let's hope we come up with a better example.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Obliviousness to what?

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Define "god" and I will tell you.
    Every god that has ever been worshipped in human history - 100%
    If you have invented some other god tell me all about her and I will give you a number for that one too.

I said there where some Atheists that are Gnostic to freemindfade

I disagree with this position as you may have noticed, I am Agnostic.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    LUHE, obliviousness to the magical unicorns made of meteoritic teapots that live in my dog's butt, obviously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit