Labeling one self "Atheist" is Unscientific

by LAWHFol 449 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    I know that's what we were discussing. My point is that to even have the conversation in a frame of reference of absolute certainty is wrong on it's face, that's not even something science does.
    I argue that belief in fairies is not something science does at all, so yes. This is not something science deals with.
    And in the context of God, fairies and all other things that where mentioned, a lack of evidence would not prove that they don't exist.
    I don't think science deal with God nor fairies, am i wrong?
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Did you lack belief in magical unicorns made of meteorite teapots that my dog poops out every morning until I just told you about them?

I think this is where you and I differ, I would argue no, since I think you have to know about something to believe or disbelieving in it.

You would probably argue that not knowing about is is a from of disbelief?

I disagree.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I argue that belief in fairies is not something science does at all, so yes. This is not something science deals with.
    That's not what I said. I said science doesn't deal in binary certainties. Science has in fact dealt with fairies.
    And in the context of God, fairies and all other things that where mentioned, a lack of evidence would not prove that they don't exist.
    And you're wrong. If there should be evidence, then it should be able to deal with it. The problem is that no one has been able to define god in such a way that any evidence can possibly be found. Every definition either shows no evidence where there should be some OR defines god in such a way that there is no possibility of finding evidence, thus rendering their definition pointless in any conceivable context.
    I don't think science deal with God nor fairies, am i wrong?
    Yes.
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Obliviousness to what?

God

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I think this is where you and I differ, I would argue no, since I think you have to know about something to believe ordisbelieving in it.

I never said disbelieve, I specifically and purposely wrote "lack of belief". Re-read it again as written and let's discuss.

You would probably argue that not knowing about is is a from of disbelief?
    I disagree.

You're disagreeing with a proposition that is your own invention, I never said nor suggested such a thing.

• cofty
    cofty
    Every god that has ever been worshipped in human history - 100% - Me
    I disagree with this position - You

Which god that has ever been worshipped do you still worry about?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Obliviousness to what?

God

But God's existence is yet to be established. Babies are oblivious to other people's belief in god - that's why parents usually pass on their beliefs to their children.

You don't get ready-made, new-born true believers, do you? Form this it seems reasonable to conclude that neonates are without belief in god/gods and are therefore atheists.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Form this it seems reasonable to conclude that neonates are without belief in god/gods and are therefore atheists.

The problem, Uni, is that (s)he is equating lack of belief with disbelief.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    That's not what I said. I said science doesn't deal in binary certainties. Science has in fact dealt with fairies.
    Really? I did not know that. When?
    And you're wrong. If there should be evidence, then it should be able to deal with it. The problem is that no one has been able to define god in such a way that any evidence can possibly be found. Every definition either shows no evidence where there should be some OR defines god in such a way that there is no possibility of finding evidence, thus rendering their definition pointless in any conceivable context.
    No, it depends on your definition of fairies, if they are shy creature that can turn invisible or in other ways are un-testable. It would not be the case that we except evidence from them, if they are the opposite we would expect evidence from them and would conclude that they probably does not exist to a high level of certainty.
    They define God in that way so you cant disprove him. People want God and only the disprovable god will survive the test of time. It is just like evolution, it adapts. So we might call it an evolution of God :P

Any example of a study made on God/fairies?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its unscientific for theists to offer a definition of what is an atheist !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit