Royal Commission live Today

by LostinJapan 175 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

He said "there are many JW therapists and health workers etc"???

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Not a Choice for Christians

Whatever health instructors may say to the contrary, yoga does not stop with physical exercises. The book Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies relates the experiences of two yoga novitiates who were under the guidance of a guru. One is quoted as saying: “I made superhuman efforts to hold my breath as long as possible, and only breathed when I was on the point of fainting. . . . One day, at high noon, I thought I saw a bright moon, which seemed to move and sway from side to side. Another time I imagined myself enveloped in thick darkness at midday. My director . . . was greatly pleased when I mentioned these visions to him. . . . The time was not far distant, he assured me, when I should experience much more surprising results from my penance.” The second man relates: “He obliged me to stare at the sky every day without blinking my eyes or changing my position. . . . Sometimes I thought I saw sparks of fire in the air; at others I seemed to see fiery globes and other meteors. My teacher was much pleased with the success of my efforts.”

The strange sights were evidently what the gurus felt were proper results along the way to the true aim of yogic exercises. Yes, the ultimate goal of yoga is moksha, explained as the merging with some impersonal great spirit. It is described as “the (intentional) stopping of the spontaneous activity of the mind stuff.” This is clearly contrary to the goal set out for Christians, who are given the admonition: “Present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”—Romans 12:1, 2.

The choice of what physical exercise to pursue is a personal one. Christians, however, would not allow anything—be it bodily training, eating, drinking, clothing, entertainment, or something else—to mar their relationship with Jehovah God. (1 Corinthians 10:31) For those exercising simply for the sake of their health, there are many avenues available that do not involve exposure to the dangers of spiritism and occultism. By keeping clear of practices and beliefs that are rooted in false religion, we may look forward to God’s blessing of a righteous new system of things in which we can enjoy perfect health in body and mind for an eternity.—2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:3, 4.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting first session. Rodney Spinks is not as awful as the previous elders. He has done much more agreeing with his questioners (theocratic warfare or a sign that WT will accept the RC's findings?) than the others.

I must say Angus Stewart is on top form, highlighting that 'discretion' has more than one shade of meaning (here authority and caution).

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

He is in the hot seat and may not know how many documents that are sent out to the elders are in the RC hands. They are running scared to a degree, and i am hopeful they will crack him. Hence the need to find some thing I read on this site not so long ago about how the society actually feels about being reported to secular authorities

If I could get that to them, it could be read out. I mean if Crabapple can ask for time and have it granted, then so can we/you/ other damaged souls.

If you sign a petition it will not be ignored, it will go into archive as a consolidation about how widespread this is.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Think he meant those touting the homeopathy stuff by the Jdubs in healthcare. Can't fathom that one otherwise. It's not like many countries require professional qualifications usually preceded by higher education...
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

*** w97 8/15 p. 27 Why Report What Is Bad? ***

Whose Responsibility Is It?

When elders learn about serious wrongdoing, they approach the individual involved to give needed help and correction. It is the elders’ responsibility to judge such ones inside the Christian congregation. Keeping a close watch on its spiritual condition, they assist and admonish anyone who is taking an unwise or wrong step.—1 Corinthians 5:12, 13; 2 Timothy 4:2; 1 Peter 5:1, 2.

But what if you are not an elder and you come to know about some serious wrongdoing on the part of another Christian? Guidelines are found in the Law that Jehovah gave to the nation of Israel. The Law stated that if a person was a witness to apostate acts, sedition, murder, or certain other serious crimes, it was his responsibility to report it and to testify to what he knew. Leviticus 5:1 states: “Now in case a soul sins in that he has heard public cursing and he is a witness or he has seen it or has come to know of it, if he does not report it, then he must answer for his error.”

*** w87 9/1 p. 13 “A Time to Speak”—When? ***

Another Bible guideline appears at Leviticus 5:1: “Now in case a soul sins in that he has heard public cursing and he is a witness or he has seen it or has come to know of it, if he does not report it, then he must answer for his error.” This “public cursing” was not profanity or blasphemy. Rather, it often occurred when someone who had been wronged demanded that any potential witnesses help him to get justice, while calling down curses—likely from Jehovah—on the one, perhaps not yet identified, who had wronged him. It was a form of putting others under oath. Any witnesses of the wrong would know who had suffered an injustice and would have a responsibility to come forward to establish guilt. Otherwise, they would have to ‘answer for their error’ before Jehovah.

This command from the Highest Level of authority in the universe put the responsibility upon each Israelite to report to the judges any serious wrongdoing that he observed so that the matter might be handled. While Christians are not strictly under the Mosaic Law, its principles still apply in the Christian congregation. Hence, there may be times when a Christian is obligated to bring a matter to the attention of the elders. True, it is illegal in many countries to disclose to unauthorized ones what is found in private records. But if a Christian feels, after prayerful consideration, that he is facing a situation where the law of God required him to report what he knew despite the demands of lesser authorities, then that is a responsibility he accepts before Jehovah. There are times when a Christian “must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29.

While oaths or solemn promises should never be taken lightly, there may be times when promises required by men are in conflict with the requirement that we render exclusive devotion to our God. When someone commits a serious sin, he, in effect, comes under a ‘public curse’ from the One wronged, Jehovah God. (Deuteronomy 27:26; Proverbs 3:33) All who become part of the Christian congregation put themselves under “oath” to keep the congregation clean, both by what they do personally and by the way they help others to remain clean.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Woohoo! Angus is telling His Honor about Geoffrey Jackson!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Wow, "the Governing Body are not involved in the formulation of policies or procedures" regarding child abuse. Quite a statement.
  • Mephis
    Mephis

Jackson from GB hasn't been summonsed due to reasons why he is in Australia. Stewart openly inviting GB to turn up. GB has handwaved responsibility for everything..!

McClellan expressing concerns over JW internal processes and saying he doesn't have access to a witness to explain how church will stop increasing trauma of those abused.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Just like Gerrit Losch, Geoffrey Jackson has given lame excuses why he shouldn't appear.

It would be so nice to see him there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit