I Need To Gain Weight??

by Dutchie 49 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Our old football coach told us to 'eat till your full, then take one more bite of everything"--seems to have worked for me.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I HATE YOU!!

Just kidding. What a problem to have. I wish you luck. No problem for me. If the doctor told me I had to gain 10 pounds, I could do it quite easily. Damn!!

I read a book once about how diets don't work. There was a test group, of people who needed to gain weight. Their doctors put them on a restrictive two week weight loss diet, and then took them off of it for a month, and they could eat anything they wanted, and then it was repeated. They all gained weight. Diets make you gain!! It was a good lesson for me.

Edited by - mulan on 17 November 2002 13:6:59

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

Hi Dutchie,

I've read over and over that the rule of thumb is 100 pounds for 5 feet and five pounds per inch above that. I am a little concerned that you aren't eating much protein. Are you getting your protein through supplementation or by combining beans and rice or something else? If not, it isn't advisable to skip the meat/protein. Or else you will begin to need more than weights to tone up. I have only just been educated regarding this very subject myself.

I've also read that your body has a need for a certain amount of protein and that it will begin to break down muscles and other protein stores in the body to obtain it. You will start losing definition all over the body, including from the muscles in the face. You should probably investigate if this is something you wish to continue doing.

On the other hand, I've also read that underweight people have a higher life expectancy than overweight and even normal weight people.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Yrs, I eat peanut butter and beans, I just don't care much for meat. Something about it just does not appeal to me. Once in a while I will have a little chicken or maybe a little fish, but I would prefer to eat veggies, carrots, lettuce, potatoes. I also like bread. I lose weight very quickly though and sometimes when I'm busy I actually forget to eat. I am trying to be more conscientious about it though.

• Solace
    Solace

Dutchie,

I dont think its anything you should worry about. My husband actually had the same problem. No matter how hard he tried, what he ate, he couldnt gain weight. He is just so physically active that he burns off every calorie he consumes. He has gained a few pounds now that hes 35.

Have you tried high calorie protein shakes etc? You can get them from the health food store. Im not sure if lots of Chocolate bars are the best thing, Ide get sick too. I cant eat much sugar. You feel ok otherwise right? Not lethargic or anything? Thats the main thing.

Take care hun.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Heaven,

Chocolate protein shakes? You're playing my song.

Nope, no lethargy. I feel fine.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hmmmm...

(Speaking with a cheezy german doctor accent)

I sink you need to have zume choc'olatezzz

Perhaps iii'f you were to agzzept zome chocolatezz from a gentalman (hint hint - nudge nudge) you would be able to zatisfy your doctors advize.

• TR
    TR

My wife is 5' 2", and weighs about 110lbs. She seems just perfect to me. 5' 5" and 100lbs. seems a tad light. My oldest daughter is about 5' 5' 100lbs. She seems too skinny to me.

TR

Edited by - TR on 17 November 2002 14:58:58

• Patriot
    Patriot

I read in numerous articles that the key to gaining weight is the amount of protein that you eat.

If you just stick to foods rich in fat, you'll gain the weight in the wrong places.

You need to eat at least 1 gram of protein per body weight and start a small excersice routine that includes weights.

You dont want to hit the treadmill or anything like that because you'll wind up burning the fat that you eat causing more weight loss.

Eat foods rich in protien e.g. tuna fish, chicken breast, peanut butter, red meats etc. (I had a friend who use to eat 3 peanut butter sanwiches before bed everyday!!)

Then start working maybe your legs (being that they contain the biggest muscles. You can do squats, leg presses anything that will work the muscles and get the protein working.

Dont overdo your workout either. Use a weight that will challenge your muscles and do maybe 3 sets of 4 or 5 reps..thats it. 2 or 3 times a week. The weights have to make an impact on you central nervous system (you'll know because you'll start shaking).

If you do constant reps at a weight that doesnt challenge your muscles it will be counterproductive and you will loose weight.

Once you get started it wont be that hard. You should can have 10 pounds in as little as 2 months.

But remember the diet is the key.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Wow, thanks Patriot. In two months I'll show you before and after.

TR, I saw your daughter in the picture you posted. She's beautiful.

Elsewhere, do you carry chocolate with you wherever you go?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit