I Need To Gain Weight??

by Dutchie 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I am so bummed!

I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that I was too thin and that I need to gain 5 or 10 pounds. I don't understand why. Do I look too thin? I am 5'5" and I weigh 100 pounds. Everyone in my family is thin. That's just the way we are.

I ate a Hershey bar and a banana for breakfast and I am so sick to my stomach you can't imagine. Do you think my doctor might be a quack? How do you gain weight anyway?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Dutchie,

That is a very good question. I have been doing everything in my power to put on 10 to 15 lbs and nothing is working. When I was a skinny kid, I ate Weight On, which was yukky and did nothing to add any pounds. To me, it is easier to lose weight than gain.

I look forward to hearing some suggestions.

Robyn

• JH
    JH

Are you happy at 100 pounds? Most people are over weight, so be happy to be a little under weight. Try to gain about 5 pounds, and see if you feel good at that weight. If everyone in your family is thin, there is not much you can do about it. Some people just look at food and gain 10 pounds. While some people burn all the energy they have and never gain weight. Don't worry, be happy !

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Dutchie,

My favorite way to gain weight is to look at or smell fattening foods. I swear, looking at a picture of fattening food will get it done. Not sure where your Doctor is coming from, but if you only need to gain five pounds it doesn't sound as if you are grossly under weight. You will no doubt receive plenty of advice on this thread about how best to gain. Take care.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Robyn,

He even wanted to give me some medication to increase my appetite. I refused it and said that I would try it on my own.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Dutchie - I had the same problem a couple years back - I'm 5'6 & had dropped down to 103 lbs. The doc didn't like that. I started eating really tiny meals a few times a day - starting with just the banana & followed an hour later by a hershey bar, hour later another piece of fruit etc. Anything to get the metabolism up & the stomach juices flowing.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I don't put too much validity in doctors...from my experience. You are thin for your height..but as long as your eating at least 1,500 calories a day..IMHO you are alright.Some people just have ahigher matabolism than some.I truley beleive it is better to be under weight than even slighty over weight...as long as your not starving yourself.Is he an older doctor?...some of them still have outdated veiws. Doctors ..believe it or not do not get much training in nutrition..nurses get more training than docs in nutrition.
    I think you look great in your pics...healthy not sickly.
    I am trying to knock off 10 more pounds myself.
    I think the key question you should ask yourself is "Do I feel good and am i eating healthy foods daily?

• ugg
    ugg

hi dutchie,,,,,,my mom looked like a toothpick with skin over it....she tried everything to gain weight...nothing worked...just be happy with your self.....nothing else matters...you are very very pretty....

• Robdar
    Robdar
    He even wanted to give me some medication to increase my appetite. I refused it and said that I would try it on my own

Dutchie,

I think you made the right decision. This is probably some new drug that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing. No need to be a lab rat, if you can help it.

Robyn

• Celia
    Celia

If you feel good and don't have any health problems, then you don't need to put on 5 or 10 pounds. I think it is a strange recommendation coming from a doctor. Although not as thin as you are (I am shorter too), I always lose weight in the spring and summer and gain some in the winter months. I always feel better when my weight is the lowest (105). When I visit my parents, they always bug me and say I look like a skeleton and should eat more.... and "don't they feed you in the US ?" But that's when I feel really good, active, energetic, happy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit