I'm a newbie too

by Flowerpetal 54 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Flowerpetal,

I am glad that you and your congregation think the way that you do. However, I have read some bad stories of disregard for those in need. I doubt if one could find statistics to determine if your situation is the except or the rule. Since those who have had problems are more likely to voice them than those who had good experiences, what I have read may not be representative. Perhaps other posters here could relate what they know on the subject.

As to your description of the woman in the tent, I think the answer is self evident and needs no comment.

• larc
    larc

Flowerpetal,

Perhaps you think I am splitting hairs regarding field service. Because you do it willingly does not mean that it is voluntary. It is a requirement. It is something you have to do to stay in good standing. You may like doing it. You may do it with great joy. Nonetheless, it still is a requirement. When someone volunteers, they are doing something that they don't have to do. For those who don't enjoy field service, their is no alternative service they can perform in order to remain in good standing - hence it is a requirement.

• terraly
    terraly

I'm afraid I'm going to have to accept Flowerpetal's volunteer work as genuine :)

See, if the government instituted that 10 hours of volunteer work was required by law, there would still be the Mother Theresa's of the world who would be out doing it, not because it was required, but because they wanted to. Their work would still be volunteer in the most important sense of the work- they wouldn't care two bits about what the government had to say.

On the other hand, I am curious to know what you tell people at the door Flowerpetal. You believe there are certain, fairly major, problems with the Witness faith, yet going door to door you're recruiting people into an organization which has these flaws and is at _times_ quite intolerant of individuals disagreeing with them, or trying to understand the organization's faults.

I understand your desire to talk about God-- and I think I even agree that it's possible to be a Christian (as Jesus intended) while still being a Witness (if you keep your mouth closed), but I think it's easier to be a Christian outside of the organization...

Case in point, women. Now having never been a women in the Witnesses I'll have to rely on what my girlfriend has said about her experience, but it seems to me there is a fairly sublte (at times not very subtle) relegation of women to a secondary role. Not being able to serve as elders, or lead prayers if there are brothers there, or even being able to be parking attendants at District Conventions :)

While the last may not be important, as part of a consistent pattern, my girlfriend at least felt like a second-class spiritual member. This I believe, is an attitude which goes hideously against Jesus' attitudes during his life towards even the most marginal women in society.

Of course, the Witness attitude is not unique, and many fundamentalist Christian groups also follow Paul's prejudices on this matter, but I think any group with an attitude like this is being very unChristian, and makes it hard for women to... I know it's a bit of a corny phrase, live up to what God created them to be.

Just my thoughts,

t.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Flowerpetal,
    Perhaps you think I am splitting hairs regarding field service. Because you do it willingly does not mean that it is voluntary. It is a requirement. It is something you have to do to stay in good standing. You may like doing it. You may do it with great joy. Nonetheless, it still is a requirement. When someone volunteers, they are doing something that they don't have to do. For those who don't enjoy field service, their is no alternative service they can perform in order to remain in good standing - hence it is a requirement.

-----
    Dear larc,
    I don't look at it as doing something to be in good standing with the cong. I think a lot of you guys need to realize that, at least in my eyes, are two types of JWs. One type lives for the org, is legalistic and puts Jehovah and Jesus on the back burner. Then there is the other type, the kind that puts Jehovah and Jesus first in their life. I was raised by a spiritually-minded mother who had this spirituality even before becoming a JW. I guess this rubbed off on me. Truthfully, I don't like going from door-to-door, but since I love conducting Bible studies and helping someone learn about Jehovah, and how to become a spiritual person, the only way ususally to find persons who want to study IS to go door-to-door--and that's why *I* do it. Like I said, I can't let a day go by without talking about God OR spiritual things--it's not in me. It's a ministry for me.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Ter>>I'm afraid I'm going to have to accept Flowerpetal's volunteer work as genuine :)
    See, if the government instituted that 10 hours of volunteer work was required by law, there would still be the Mother Theresa's of the world who would be out doing it, not because it was required, but because they wanted to. Their work would still be volunteer in the most important sense of the work- they wouldn't care two bits about what the government had to say.

I agree T. And it goes without saying that in my book, Mother Theresa was a saint. I admired her very much for the selfless work she did.

T>>On the other hand, I am curious to know what you tell people at the door Flowerpetal. You believe there are certain, fairly major, problems with the Witness faith, yet going door to door you're recruiting people into an organization which has these flaws and is at _times_ quite intolerant of individuals disagreeing with them, or trying to understand the organization's faults.

I don't recruit first of all. I go to share scriptural thoughts and ask the person if they would like a Bible study. If they do, I study with them. At the end of the course, they have a decision to make and that is do they want to dedicate their life to Jehovah and symbolize it by water baptism. And they need to know that this baptism will identify them as one of JWs. But I don't make that decision for them--it is totally up to them.

T>>I understand your desire to talk about God-- and I think I even agree that it's possible to be a Christian (as Jesus intended) while still being a Witness (if you keep your mouth closed), but I think it's easier to be a Christian outside of the organization...

What is your definition of a Christian?

T>>Case in point, women. Now having never been a women in the Witnesses I'll have to rely on what my girlfriend has said about her experience, but it seems to me there is a fairly sublte (at times not very subtle) relegation of women to a secondary role. Not being able to serve as elders, or lead prayers if there are brothers there, or even being able to be parking attendants at District Conventions :)

While the last may not be important, as part of a consistent pattern, my girlfriend at least felt like a second-class spiritual member. This I believe, is an attitude which goes hideously against Jesus' attitudes during his life towards even the most marginal women in society.

Can your friend go from door-to-door just like a man? Can she go on return visits just like a man? Can she conduct bible studies just like a man? Can she give a talk at the hall just like a man? (of coursewith a householder but the information she brings out still benefits the congregation). She can be a auxilliary pioneer or regular pioneer just like a man. Being a parking lot attendant e.g. is not a gauge for the kind of spirituality Jehovah looks at, for crying out loud! And to tell you the truth, I would not want to be an elder. I don't want to know people's business that bad because it would change my attitude toward them. And I have a story about that!
    And giving prayers in front of men would make me uncomfortable. Now maybe this is a strong attitude coming from the apostle Paul, but if you accept what the Bible says, God made man first. He is to be the head of the family at least.

T>>Of course, the Witness attitude is not unique, and many fundamentalist Christian groups also follow Paul's prejudices on this matter, but I think any group with an attitude like this is being very unChristian, and makes it hard for women to... I know it's a bit of a corny phrase, live up to what God created them to be

Are you a liberal Christian, T?

IMHO, we still might have a long way to go. I mean there isn't even a woman president yet and I think it might be a long time in coming. Men are uncomfortable with women's cycles, etc. and it terrifies the majority of them that a woman might be making major decisions of the country based on that! LOL

• Tina
    Tina

fp,
    You're the one splitting hairs and ignoring my question,,,,,I was a witness most of my life-pioneered,dont tell me that not reporting fs is ok,and it sure does affect your standing,privileges,whether one is considered spiritually,weak.....and yes it is mandatory if you want to have a good reputation etc.
    Join not in the sense that you think,for many join simply means having ones name on a list for scheduling the voulunteer time,nothing more. You obviously know nothing about real volunteer work,,,now Iasked you What organizations are approved by the wts?
    larc defined it quite well as a requirement,Now the WTS approved List please?
    Thanks for your help larc, seems she's just avoiding an honest answer to me...and btw,yes you do recruit,you;re goal at the door is a rv(whih you said you do) leading to a bible study.which leads to joining the org-yes dear You recruit,,,,You're not talking to people here who dont know the deal,,,T

• Tina
    Tina

recruit = called making disciples,and the whole point of field service,,,,,do you let your elders know fs to you means idly chatting at the door with no goal?

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Hi flowerpetal,

Welcome to the board. My name is d0rkyd00d. It's good to see some actual Jehovah's Witnesses here, because I honestly don't think i see enough here to have a good discussion board. Glad you can join us and bring in some viewpoints from the "other side".

I must agree with Tina on the point that field service is mandatory. Here is my illustration. Say you have a job that you love doing. It really doesn't matter whether you love it or not, you still HAVE to do it in order to get a paycheck. Kinda the same thing. You may LOVE going out in field service, but you still HAVE to do it to remain in good standing. If you suddenly stopped, you would probably receive a shepherding call, which usually is a checkup on the spiritually weak.

I had something else to say that was really good.....hold on...let me think....

Oh yes. I remember now. I really have no qualms with the Jehovah's Witnesses going out in field service except for one simple fact that doesn't follow the Bible at all. When Jesus went door to door, what did he teach about? His father? The answer is yes. When you go door to door, what do you preach about? The watchtower. You may argue that the watchtower is God's word, but it is simply an interpretation of God's word. If accuracy and sticking to the Bible was the REAL concern, then why wouldn't you just study the bible, no watchtower needed? You aren't totally incomptetant, and you don't need a magazine's help to reach the truth using the Bible. You can find it on your own. I remember, i got baptized at the age of 10. How did i know the bible so well at 10? i didn't. i never even read the bible. You don't need to know the bible to be a jehovah's witness. You need to know how the JW's interpret the bible. I mean, You get to keep the green book OPEN during the entire thing, with the answers listed under the questions. LOL. How much bible study is really needed?

Once again, welcome to the board flower, and hope to see you posting more in the future.

"No cool quote yet. But I'll think of one soon."

• larc
    larc

Flowerpetal and Terraly,

Although you are both good writers, you are both making a common logical error called "victory by definition." Terrally, you said that if the government passed a law that people had to do 10 hours of voluntary sevice, etc. The word "voluntary" here is an incorrect use of the term. The only proper word that can be used here is "mandatory". Laws are mandatory, not voluntary. Flowerpetal, you did the same thing in your post as tina so clearly pointed out, and as I did earlier.

Tina, I don't think you will get a list of charitable organizations from Flowerpetal. They don't have one. If she asks the elders, they will discourage charitable giving, because "all of it is part of Satan's organization" Flowerpetal knows that as well as we do.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi larc,
    yes,I agree with you. She knows,,I wanted to show how the indoctrinated mind works,how they obfuscate,make the (il)logical evasions that you so clearly mentioned,,in short,their dishonesty.
    It's so very sad,,,,,,,I very much appreciate your input!! Thanks and regards,Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit