I'm a newbie too

by Flowerpetal 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Tina
    Tina

Hi flower, I find it interesting that in the "why' topic you strongly advised the poster to heal herself thru volunteerism, Now you being an active JW,,,,could you enlighten me as to what volunteer work you do? And refresh my mind as to the wts policy on volunteering for other organizations? Maybe I missed some new light or policy that has changed this....BTW,Welcome,,,regards,Tina

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Terraly,
    I mostly agree with you about Paul's statements.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Tina,
    You probably aren't going to like this answer, but so what?

What volunteer work do I do? You mean other than make return visits and go from door to door? I think with that, and taking care of my family needs, and getting ready to start a job, my plate is full at the moment. But even with that,talking to other people about the Bible keeps me focused off my issues for a while, while I am talking with others at the door or in their homes. I have a really interesting return visit who finally decided to pick up a Bible and start reading it. I praised her for it, even though this Bible has apocryphal books in it--which scared her so much, that she decided to go to the gospels.

But others who are not active witnesses, appear to have time to do volunteer work *apart* from what I do, unless their time is taken up by other pursuits that have replaced JW activity. I am sure somebody out there can benefit from what they could do. And if I ever found myself not a witness anymore, and not having to make a secondary income, I would do volunteer work myself.

• Tina
    Tina

Greetings,
    I asked about approved volunteer organizations/ What does the wts allow you to do or join? The practice of rv's and door-door, is not volunteer work-that's something the society says you HAVE to do to remain 'in good standing'. Let's make this a hypothetical situation-pretending that you had time,what volunteer organization would the wts allow you to be part of? Homeless shelters? Soup Kitchens? Safe houses for women&children? your local hospital?
    This is not about what I like,I'm asking for an honest answer,what would the wts let you do? I'd like to know so I can print out the list of approved organizations you give me to show somebody.Thanks,Tina

• larc
    larc

Flowerpetal,

What is your view of charity in the congregations. I have read of several cases here where brothers and sisters who fell on hard times were given little or no help. Also, on WOL, a discussion group for JWs only, I read a case of a sister who needed help and was getting none. It was very sad.
    Also, it is my impression that most Witnesses give little or no money to charities. However, if they are in a bind, they will take full advantage of charitable resources. In fact, that was part of the advice given to the sister on WOL. Even if Witnesses are strapped for time, it seems to me that they could give a little something to worthy charities. How does your experience fit with my opservations?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Well Tina, I never had that idea that going from door to door or making return visits was something I *had* to do to remain in good standing. For me, it's voluntary work because there are other things I could be doing with that time, that I am giving to God. That is how I have always seen it.

As far as organizations go, I don't know what the *join* part is, that you are talking about. I would have to check them out myself and see if I could conscientiously *do volunteer work* there. Perhaps I would be a voluteer for a homeless shelter--but do they say you must *join* in order to be a volunteer?? What would you be joining? As I see it, it would be work without pay. I wouldn't mind even doing volunteer work for an organization that visits hospitals as long as they are secular in nature. It's what I would let *myself* do. I would not join any *religious organization* that does volunteer work, if that's what you're asking. Sorry I don't have a *list* but I would do the leg work before deciding what place I would volunteer at.

• larc
    larc

Flowerpetal,

You said that your door to door work was voluntary. I thought it was mandatory. Would you be in good standing in your congregation, if you did not turn in time for the next 6 months?

Also, what are your thoughts on my last post?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

larc,
    I believe each individual witness should decide what charity they are going to contribute to. I have heard of a charity recently called "Second Harvest" which sounds pretty much honest as far as getting food to the people that need it. I am checking it out, and will probably choose that organization to contribute to as well as an animal shelter here in my hometown, that does great work in placing animals in good homes. I am an animal lover at heart, and I hate to see them suffer.

In the meantime, I give Goodwill Industries and have given furniture to the Salvation Army. And in my congregation, if there is someone who has fallen on some hard times, we contribute outright and there is also an emergency fund. Since all of us are taxpaying citizens, we can take advantage of governmental agencies who can assist.

Now on the opposite side of the coin, what does one do with a person who is on disability, is shown how to get housing, and is taken to all the governmental agencies where she can get housing, and some have done preliminary work for her, but she doesn't follow up and chooses instead to live in a tent in her mother's backyard? Is something wrong with the thinking or brain of that individual?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

larc,
    I understand the reasons why I turn in time spent in service. I could never go without speaking about God for 6 months. Maybe some can, but the times I speak about him, I report the time. THe society can do what it wishes with it. If they want to report how many hours JWs spend in preaching a year, that's fine with me. My few hours make up part of that report. I don't sweat the small stuff--and to me that is small stuff.

• COMF
    COMF
    The only thing remained was smoking. I could never figure this out. I think God left this piece of dirt on my exterior

Hey, good hook!

"Why do you smoke?"
    "It's not my doing. Talk to God about it."

"Why do you smoke?"
    "If God wants me to smoke, who am I to resist the Lord's will?"

"Why do you smoke?"
    "It's my punishment from God for being imperfect. I have to endure it in order to be refined."

"Why do you smoke?"
    "And it came about in the sixth year, in the sixth month, on the fifth day of the month, that I was sitting in my house and the older men were sitting before me, when the hand of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah fell upon me there. And I began to see, and look! a likeness similar to the appearance of fire."

Victim-mentalized CO("it ain't my fault")MF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit