Questions for Creationists

by IronGland 184 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Rem,

There doesn't seem to have to be a why with evolution; it just is. People say the same thing about God? Why question Him, that's just the way He made things? I

• rem
    rem

Kennesen,

It depends on what god you are talking about. The Judeo/Christian god supposedly made us in his image. Therefore, it is proper to ask why. A personal creator implies purpose. Therefore the why's. A personal creator implies personality. Therefore the why's.

Evolution is just blind physical forces. Therefore there is no reason to ask why in the sense of "what was the purpose". Things just are. You can ask "why" in the sense of "how did that come about?" or "what led up to that?". Evolution does not strategize for the future, it only reacts to the here and now. That's why there are so many extinctions in the fossil record.

rem

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Rem,

Those who believe in the Judeo-Christian God would reply with this analogy: how can the clay say to the potter, why have you made me so?

• Parousia
    Parousia

Rem said, "Yes, in the spirit of Proverbs 18:17, I would recommend anyone who is interested to do research on both sides of the issue. The problem is that many people only research the side that is comfortable to them (creation, intelligent design) and don't honestly look at the other side and the counter arguments."

I agree. It is sometimes hard not to let our experiences influence our ability to be objective.

In school I was one of those kids who liked to be invisible. I behaved and did what was expected of me. In junior high being embarrassed publicly was one of my worst fears. One day in ninth grade, after explaining the evolution unit we would be studying in class, the science teacher asked for a raise of hands of those who believed in God. I slipped a quiet hand up and quickly back down. At the tender age of fourteen, it was all I knew. My admission was simply my honest answer to his question. What came next? My worst fear. Public humiliation and ridicule. I didn't know it was coming, and it scared me. I was shaking.

A JW elder came to my door once. Once he figured out I knew too much, his eyes narrowed. He eyed me suspiciously. He started ridiculing me and accusing me of being an "Eve." He left yelling loud enough for my neighbors could hear. I remained quiet, but my knees were the consistency of jello. After he left, I cried.

I had the same feeling after both encounters I have described. Honest debate was not the objective of either man, using fear and intimidation,
    winning was.

So, what did I learn? Be careful who you debate with.

• rem
    rem

Parousia,

It angers me when I hear experiences like yours. It is wrong for a teacher to humiliate a student because they believe in god. God should have nothing to do with teaching the scientific theory of evolution. You had an incompetent teacher. Unfortuntately, there are many bad teachers out there and there are others who are now going through what you did. Only with better education will we get better teachers.

Kenneson,

Because the supposed potter gave us the capacity to question and to reason. And the potter claims to have made us in his image. And the potter also claims to be loving, all knowing, and all powerful.

rem

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Rem states: "Because the supposed potter gave us the capacity to question and reason. And the potter claims to have made us in his image. And the potter also claims to be loving, all knowing and all powerful."

Rem, it is to be hoped that we ask the right questions.

What do you mean "made us in his image." Most Christians, unless you are a Mormon, take this to be an anthropomorphism. What is your view? We certainly aren't all knowing and all powerful. You might ask all the whys you want, and still not understand why. That's when acceptance of what is becomes a reality. I don't always have to know why. If I had all the answers, wouldn't that make me all knowing and therefore God?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Rom 9:20,21
    But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

yep.

• Faraon
    Faraon
    Poisonous snakes make perfect sense without an omni-benevolent god in the picture. The questions only arise when such a creator is assumed to exist.

Any Jdub can tell you that before the flood all animals fed from plants only. Evolution took place after the flood.

As you can tell from Genesis, Chapter two, man was created before all plants and animals. You will soon see evidence of man existing before other forms of life. The reason J was looking for a mate for Adam among the animals was because he liked diversity, and wanted to see if man would pick a mate from one of the snakes (who at the time could talk and walk erect). The snake became upset because she really liked Adam and become jealous of Eve. She overheard J saying that her head would be crushed, and evolved poisonous fangs as a preventive measure. Man's sin caused illnesses, virus, accidents, etc. after sin was committed. All kind of deadly microbes started sprouting after they ate the forbidden fruit. J wanted to prevent more deaths because man's sin started to crack the firmament (firm, or solid plane) that held the top layer of water above the sun, the moon and the stars. He tried to prevent the water from killing all the animals so he had Noah construct an ark and feed all the millions of species, pack them in a single day, and this is how Earth was saved.

I can also get some Acapulco Gold.

Jehovah is not omni-benevolent god. Who told you this? Would an omni-benevolent god do the destruction J has done?

• Faraon
    Faraon
    Rom 9:20,21
    But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

But then it shows predestination.

If she exists and does not let you talk back to her, she is then an arrogant fool. No different than a dictator.

• ros
    ros

The argument between atheists/agnostics versus believers comes down to the definition of terms, and neither side seems to stay on track.

Creationism does not necessarily mean fundyism. I consider myself a "creationist" because I believe everything came from a creator rather than from nothing.

It is a fallacy promoted by skeptics that Creationists necessarily reject evolution. It's not creationism versus evolution; it's creationism versus atheism.

~Ros

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit