Crap,,,,,,, now I think I am addicted to cigs...

by LyinEyes 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

My Dad smoked for about 34 years...started when he was 19. He used to smoke 3 packs a day and sometimes cigars. He quite eventually, but he died at the age of 60 after open heart surgery. I'm sure his heart was already damaged from all his smoking. Once the heart cells are damaged, they are irreparable. I choose not to smoke.

Edited by - lost diamond on 1 November 2002 13:23:34

• onacruse
    onacruse

MARLBORO MENTHOLS?!?!?!?

Good Lord, Dede, what in the world were you THINKING when you started smoking those pathetic excuses for a cig? LOL

Me, Winston 100's, about 1/2 pack a day. Started when I was 25, quit when I was 27, started again at about 29, quit again 31, started again 38, quit again 40, started again 48. Seems like I go in 2-3 years phases...thinking about quitting again.

When I quit, no withdrawals symptoms to speak of, other than a little restlessness.

WAY WAY WAY easier to quit smoking than to leave the Borg.

Craig

• Shakita
    Shakita

No preaching here.

I lost both my parents last year do to smoking. They both died from cancer related to smoking almost their entire lives. My Mom smoked from the age of 13 till she died at the age of 67. My Dad smoked on and off from the age of 16 till he died at the age of 74. My Mother-in-law died also from cancer. She smoked too.

I give no advice to others on smoking. I just loved these people so much. It is enough to keep me from smoking myself.

Just my 2 cents,

Mrs. Shakita

• Mulan
    Mulan

Carol Burnett's daughter died last year from lung cancer. She was 38 and had smoked since she was 13.

It's a nasty habit, but I am not judgmental about it. I personally think people, especially the JW's, make way too much out of it. I don't like people to blow it in my face, but I've never been one of those who gets ballistic if someone is smoking. That offends me more than the smoking. It's their life, leave them alone. IMHO

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Hey Lyin --You know posting here that you smoke,

is not going to go over well. Because we have all these

smart folks, to tell us all about the bad things related to smoking.

As if we don't already know that. I mean come on people, who

dosen't know the side effects from smoking.

Just because we smoke dosen't make us total idiots.

We can read, write,and still do the math.

Yes I smoke, I make no excuses, hey I'm an adult now.------PLUS.

Merit Ultra Light 100s is the brand, Marlboro in a pinch.

Besides I went Trick or Treating tonight -so there

took both my grandsons, along.

People think just because you smoke, your going to

have a filthy house, well i would put mine up against anyones

in the neighborhood,the saying is you could do surgery in my

toilet, thats how clean it is.

After all i gave up the silly notion of living forever, after i left the Dubs.

• Navigator
    Navigator

I smoked for about 30 years and consumed about 2 packs per day. It was inexpensive because I was in the military service. Anyone that says nicotine is not addictive needs to have their head examined. It is one of the most addictive substances on earth. Fortunately for me, I was the only one in my family that smoked. Giving it up was one of the hardest things I ever did. The withdrawal symptons went away in a few weeks, but I dreamed I was smoking for about one year. I feel a lot better now, but did put on some weight. Food tastes better and I have a lot more energy. I've been off for about 15 years, but know that I am only 3 cigarettes from 2 packs per day. My wife and kids tell me that I smell a lot better.

I recommend a program called Smokewatchers International. It involves about 2 weeks of documenting your habit and noting which cigarettes you enjoy most. Then you start giving up the ones you enjoy the least. The hardest to give up are the ones you smoke with coffee or after a meal. I went "cold turkey" when I got down to 10. I wasn't much fun to be around for awhile, but my family was very understanding.

• onacruse
    onacruse

OK, let me step into the firing zone here...

1) Who has the right to say smoking is "right" or "wrong"? That's a moral/ethical judgement that I believe is a matter of individual choice. And if I choose to do something that may OR MAY NOT shorten my life (and the statistics are interpretable on this, especially for sporadic or low frequency smokers), so what? It's MY life, after all.

2) Who says smoking is always addictive? Individual experiences (including my own) run the gamut, from "no problem at all to quit" to "can't quit to save my life." It is NOT a given that someone who uses nicotine will absolutely get addicted. Accustomed, yes (as with anything done on a regular basis). The same is true of any drug or substance, whether or not used for mood-altering purposes.

Craig

• Farkel
    Farkel

LyinEyes,

I wouldn't worry about it too much, because statistics have shown with 100% accuracy that sooner or later EVERYONE quits smoking!

Farkel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Onacruse

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious. What is the attraction to smoking? I've never smoked and I've always wondered what people see in it. I'm not coming down on anyone for starting, but I am a little curious.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Big Tex: Good question. Really, I don't get much of a "kick" from smoking. It's almost more of a nervous habit than anything.

I only experience the intense physical sensation of a nicotine hit when I smoke like 3-4 cigarettes a day. Nicotine (like caffeine) is a short term stimulant, with about a 1/2 hour biochemical cycle. Hence my 10-15 cigs a day.

In comparison, when used sparingly, I'd say it's pretty much like having a real cold beer at the end of a long hot day at work.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit