Crap,,,,,,, now I think I am addicted to cigs...

by LyinEyes 59 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

ugg, why do you put "right" in inverted commas as if it is questionable as to whether smoking is right or not. It is expensive, addictive and bad for your health. Of course it is not "right". There is no two ways about it. I cannot see how your comment could be construed as constructive with regard to this.

• shera
    shera

The first time I tried smoking I was 9!!!

Then stuck with the habit at 14 and quit when I was preggie at 17 .Than I started and quit and etc...etc...then finally I quit for good at 25 and never to pick another one up again.Oddly I never felt I became hooked,I could quit so easy.Everytime I smoked,I felt sick.I think thats why I quit easy and I have no idea how I even started the habit,feeling like I did.When I was 12,I would sneak a smoke...hide and smoke it and come home and get sick..lol..yeh, ok than??

Well,I'm glad I don't smoke anymore and I hope you can quit if you want to.You will feel better in the long run.

Take care

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

I gave up smoking for quite a few years,then I started again last year with some severe trauma in my life, worst thing I did,as I will have to try to stop again,the problem is I enjoy it but I know what it is doing to me.

I was told,and I think its true,that once you have smoked,you never give up,you just refrain.

Does that make sense.

Take care,

Rich.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I've been smoking since 19. Can't tell you exactly why I lit up that first Marlboro Red but I did. Probably rebellion against the dub life I guess.

I don't smoke all day long. Most smokers light up as soon as they get out of bed. I used to smoke first thing in the morning until one day I woke up and didn't feel like one until sometime after lunch and it's been that way ever since. I guess that's a good thing. I haven't chosen to quit yet because I really do enjoy smoking. Skip the lectures folks cause I've heard them all. I do want to cut down. Wait until later in the day to smoke, go a day here and there without, things like that. One day that may lead to becoming a non-smoker or at least smoking only a few cigarettes a week or even a month. Can't give up tobacco totally though. I love the occasional cigar. Arturo Fuentes are my favorite, second only to the Cuban cigar I had a few years ago.

Mike.

• Kep
    Kep

I started smoking 5 years ago. Why ?? Because I can.

I smoke Winfield Menthol and also Park Drive Menthol. I prefer the Park Drive as you roll any size ciggie, I like thin ones, and they do not burn when you leave them unattended. So, you still have your ciggie ready and waiting.

Yeah it's not good for, but I enjoy sitting back and sucking down on a smoke and sipping a beer or 2, damned good way to relax and unwind.

Am I addicted ?? Yep, altho I can go a day or 2 without one, by the 3rd day I am hanging out.

Would I quit ?? Only if it got too expensive.

Mmmmm I just love that menthol flavour, yummm, think I will go light me up one now.

Kep

• Imbue
    Imbue

Dede what did you expect? If you smoke you will become addicted just as everyone else. The one thing I did get from the org is I quit smoking and I will never light up a cigarette again. It's a prison to be addicted to a drug and I hated it because I couldn't go any where without my nicotine. You don't have to do everything that was forbidden while in the org because some things were a protection. I doubt that having the choice whether to smoke is the reason you left. Be careful out there Dede.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Why did I start? Because I can.

Watch my emails now.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I have always wondered why so many ex'ers take up smoking after exiting the Borg. I guess it falls under the I-want-to-try-everything-that-was-denied-me-while-I-was-in-the-borg syndrome. It certainly looks like fun, but then again being a JW looked attractive to me at one time also. Smoking is corporate slavery. But you don't need me to tell you that.

The people who run the cigarette companies are bigger whores and bigger liars than the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. An interesting film about them is "The Insider" starring Russell Crowe. That film will remind you of leaving the JWs.

You can read Jeffrey Wigand's true story here on which "The Insider" is based.

http://www.jeffreywigand.com/insider/vanityfair.html

Lyin, you kicked the JW habit. Good luck on kicking the cigs.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Quitting Smoking sources: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Cancer Institute
    released by: U.S. Surgeon General David A. Satcher, M.D., in June 2000

Q. Why should I quit?

A. You will live longer and feel better. Quitting will lower your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or cancer. The people you live with, especially children, will be healthier. If you are pregnant, you will improve your chances of having a healthy baby. And you will have extra money to spend on things other than cigarettes.

Q. What is the first thing I need to do once I've decided to quit?

A. You should set a quit date -- the day when you will break free of your tobacco addiction. Then, consider visiting your doctor or other health care provider before the quit date. She or he can help by providing practical advice and information on the medication that is best for you.

Q. What medication would work best for me?
    A. Different people do better with different methods. You have five choices of medications that are currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: a non-nicotine pill (bupropion SR), nicotine gum, a nicotine inhaler, a nicotine nasal spray, and a nicotine patch. The gum and patches are available at your local pharmacy, or you can ask your health care provider to write you a prescription for one of the other medications. The good news is that all five medications have been shown to be effective in helping smokers who are motivated to quit.

Q. How will I feel when I quit smoking? Will I gain weight?

A. Many smokers gain weight when they quit, but it is usually less than 10 pounds. Eat a healthy diet, stay active, and try not to let weight gain distract you from your main goal-quitting smoking. Some of the medications to help you quit may help delay weight gain.

Q. Some of my friends and family are smokers. What should I do when I'm with them?

A. Tell them that you are quitting, and ask them to assist you in this effort. Specifically, ask them not to smoke or leave cigarettes around you.

Q. What kinds of activities can I do when I feel the urge to smoke?

A. Talk with someone, go for a walk, drink water, or get busy with a task. Reduce your stress by taking a hot bath, exercising, or reading a book.

Q. How can I change my daily routine, which includes smoking a cigarette with my breakfast?

A. When you first try to quit, change your routine. Eat breakfast in a different place, and drink tea instead of coffee. Take a different route to work.

Q. I like to smoke when I have a drink. Do I have to give up both?

A. It's best to avoid drinking alcohol for the first 3 months after quitting because drinking lowers your chances of success at quitting. It helps to drink a lot of water and other nonalcoholic drinks when you are trying to quit.

Q. I've tried to quit before and it didn't work. What can I do?
    A. Remember that most people have to try to quit at least 2 or 3 times before they are successful. Review your past attempts to quit. Think about what worked -- and what didn't -- and try to use your most successful strategies again.

Q. What should I do if I need more help?

A. Get individual, group, or telephone counseling. The more counseling you get, the better your chances are of quitting for good. Programs are given at local hospitals and health centers. Call your local health department for information about programs in your area. Also, talk with your doctor or other health care provider.

• Lin
    Lin

Megadude, thanks for posting that. I've seen that info before, but it's a good reminder.

I started smoking just 2 1/2 yrs ago, yeah yeah yeah I know I know. I started out of a sense of jw rebellion, but also because I had a whole lot going on in my life at the time, with dub family etc. I've always smoked Marlboro Lights (menthol), but I plan to quit. I'm getting married next May, and I'm going to be singing a song to my new husband at the reception, and I want it to sound really good and I don't want to run out of breath when I need to hold a long note. Considering the song I'm going to do is originally by Barbara Streisand, I need all the breath I can get to hold those dang notes! LOL I'm hoping that it won't be AS hard for me to quit as it is for those who've smoked longer, I don't know, I just hope it won't be that hard for me. I will just have to keep my hands busy and do something else at the times I'd usually light one up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit