Comments from Ray Franz re Bill Bowen

by Amazing 148 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Waiting and IW: I have been following yours and others posts, trying to decide what I think of this saga.

I still have some mixed feelings. When Bill first published his 'apology' I took it at face value, and posted a thanks to him. Then, I talked with Ray Franz again, and he mentioned talking with Bill, and his tone suggested the conversation went well. But, when I went back to visit the earlier posts that Bill edited, I saw this phrase repeated everywhere, "Is Ray Franz Great or What?" ... and, as much as I hate reading emotions and/or a state of mind into the written word, there is a sense of sarcasm that comes across ... such that Bill's "apology" did not appear to be really an apology, but more of a resentful regret.

I don't believe in dwelling on things, and certainly not difficulties between other people, especially difficulties that should be kept between them alone. Yet, there are some additional things here that knaw at me: Both Bill and Ray are not just "anybody," but have built reputations upon very visible activity that has clearly affected the lives of many. Bill did not just drag Ray into negative public comments, but earlier he was behaving similarly with Hillary-Step and some others ... it is more of a style-pattern he has developed, and the 'Ray Franz' issue is the most recent in a series of similar steps that go back to the "Mad Apostate" saga.

Almost everyone, me included, has overlooked one irratic step after another, allowing for imperfections, blunders, and human error, or whatever we like to call it ... but each time letting it pass because of the greater good, the greater cause, the noble quest to save the victims, and force public accountability on the Watchtower Society ... then, I realized something far more germane to the issue ...

This saga between Ray and Bill hurt the victims because it undermines the unified face of the ex-JW movement. Granted, we are a loose coalition of everything from athiests to fundamentalists Bible thumpers ... but we have all stood together on this single all-important issue affecting victims of molestation among Jehovah's Witnesses. Once brought into the public realm, it was no longer just about Bill and Ray, but became a breach between two well known ex-JWs ... one with a very vocal and noble cause, and the other who made a dynamic contribution, but otherwise stays on the sidelines ... this breach exposed division, and given that the Society monitors these boards, could play into their hands.

What is most germane in my mind? It was not just that Bill commented negatively about Ray, or that he thought Ray was not doing anything, or that Ray wrote a policy that was eventually used to the detriment of molestation victims, but rather something far more powerful. It was when Bill plainly and clearly stated that Ray supported current Watchtower policy on victims of molestation, and that Ray was not able to take a moral and ethical stand ... this position coming from Bill was most shocking, and confused me, since I consider Bill a friend ... I could not understand how he could make such an extreme statement without facts. That prompted my calls to Ray Franz. The clear and emphatic response by Ray Franz, also a good friend, made it clear to me that what took place is more than a mere foible, or "opps" ... it was a major breach, and one that has caused serious set-backs for the SilentLambs efforts ... not insurmountable, but one where Bill will lose much needed support in the way of person-power and financial backing.

What I want or expect? What I want is to go back in time and ask Bill to rethink making such statements about Ray Franz, but instead, stay focused on his mission to save the children. Even if Ray were guilty as charged, it would not benefit SilentLambs one iota to drag him into the mud. Far better to stay on the high road. Nonetheless, all that is history, and what is done, is done ... some are somehow able to let it all pass and chalk it up to mere foolish blunder, others are not ... and I really don't know at this point what to think or expect, except that I have to believe that at some point Bill will come to realize how serious this blunder is, and take more proactive steps to make amends - without sarcasm - and then he can hope to move on nearly as before ... but, I believe that he does not see the need, and will likely ignore this post and others like it ... and as a result, the damage done will never get the chance to heal and restore the credibility needed to have full suppport.

Whatever the case, I hope that I am wrong, because, this is one of the few times in Watchtower history where there is a chance to force some constructive change ... and I hope that in weeks or months from now, I will be able to say how wrong I was ... but as it stands, it looks real bad for Bill.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Amazing,

Well said.

Old timer's in the wt society, had a saying, 'respect the position not the individual'. This allowed Rutherford, Knorr, Jarass, and other stuff shirts, to get away with almost any gaff or outlandish behaviour. Why it was Jehovah's organization.......he will fix it, was thier mantra. Jehovah will correct these imperfect men, in his due time. Hogwash.

Except for Moyle and few others, everyone sat back and let these arrogant men do as they pleased. Knorr going so far as to, stand some poor bethelite up in front of hundreds at the breakfast table......and proceed to berate and degrade them, often lasting up to an hour. No one said a peep. Fear of his reprisal and Jehovah's.

Bill has cast overtones of Jehovah blessing his efforts, he has demonstrated on several recent occassions his reluctance to accept criticisim. Then he proceeds with almost a knee jerk reaction, and condemns or casts false accusations about the individual critic, not just Ray Franz, but several other's here who have left the board in disgust over his antics. His attitude is imo no different than the GB or other prominent members of the cult he is waging war with.

Actually it may be very timely that this has come to a head. Far better this has happened now, before any major cases envolving high profile GB member's hit the media. Like you said, it is not to late for Bill to fix this.

Time will tell.

Danny

• Englishman
    Englishman

Danny Bear,

I want him to fix it too. The problem is that Bill has run his own companys on several occasions, and appears to be accustomed to unswerving obedience and loyalty. There's no-one on this Earth gets that from me.

Englishman.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Englishman,

Iam the same. I have been with the same employer for over 8yrs now, but I have a rep for not just rolling over, every time some bigwig passes wind. Havn't alway's won alot of brownie points, but guess what, some of those very same big wigs have come back to tell me I was right, and that they were glad that I spoke my piece.

Iam looking for every reason to continue to give my support to Silentlambs aka Bill Bowen, he just is making it so damn hard right now!

Danny

• TR
    TR

DannyBear,

Iam looking for every reason to continue to give my support to Silentlambs aka Bill Bowen, he just is making it so damn hard right now!

You took the words outta my mouth. I just put special "silentlambs" graphics on a vehicle of mine, now I feel halfhearted as to wether or not to keep them there. I know the cause is what's important, but I have shit-canned otherwise good business relationships due to the owner's bad behavior in the past. I would hate for that to happen now.

Amazing,

Great comments. Your perspective is very much appreciated.

TR

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I have nothing to add, but that I agree with the last five posters or so.

It's sad that this started out as a tiff about a letter.

ash

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Danny,

Me too.

Amazing,

Thanks for your post.

Andee

• willy_think
    willy_think

A good reason could be the children that are in need of help, or perhaps the adult survivors of abuse that are coming together for the first time with the help of SL.

I thought the support was always for the cause, not the champion, but it seems it's another popularity contest.

• og
    og
    I thought the support was always for the cause, not the champion, but it seems it's another popularity contest.

What if the champion is hurting the cause?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Willy-Think: You noted an important point,

There is no popularity contest. Ray Franz is not leading any movement. Bill is the only current champion if we use that term. Credibility is vital to the leadership of any movement, otherwise there is a need for a new leader, or starting a new movement. No one has questioned whether Bill has done a good job. No one disputes that the victims are the primary concern. But to enforce rhetoric regarding the needs of the victims to the point of drowning out fair criticism of errors of a leader is seriously counter-productive, and an act of dysfunctional denial.

The GB themselves espouse noble causes, the healing of the sick, and the raising of the dead in paradise ... what a grand mission and noble vision ... but the credibility of the GB and their supporters is so vastly wasted, that their message is all but hallow.

Obviously, Bill has not joined their league. He is a good man, and has led an important and noble cause. We want him to succeed, and in doing so to listen to some wisdom and not trample on the innocent for the sake of other innocents.

I am sure, and hope, that after Bill returns from Germany and/or other European countries, he will take some time to consider all that has been said, step up to the plate, and post a statement to bring closure and move forward. That is little to ask to correct what otherwise is a huge dent in credibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit