Silentlambs, The Letter, The World, and Justice.

by BeautifulGarbage 101 Replies latest jw friends

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

First off, let me express that Bill Bowen would not know me from any stranger on the street. I have never spoken with him, or have I ever corresponded with him. The only information that I have of him is what I have read of him on this forum and on Silentlambs.Org. I do know that he is a man that has made tremendous personal sacrifices for an extremely noble cause. For that, he has my utmost respect and admiration. I do know that the overwhelming majority of individuals would not be willing to go to the mat for innocent victims as Mr. Bowen has. He is their champion and warrior. He has been their outspoken public voice. And I understand that any criticism of Mr. Bowen is seen as an attack on them and on their ability to garner attention to their cries that were crushingly silenced by an evil corporate machine whose only interest is self-preservation.

I would also like to say that I see danger on the horizon. I hope that I am wrong. Dead wrong. I write this with good intentions and with a pure heart. I have no agenda and would like nothing more than seeing justice brought to those that have suffered so terribly at the hands of the WTS and its minions.

Why I see danger

My last paying job was as an operations manager at a small recycling company. Started by a man who is, quite frankly, brilliant in his ability to see a niche and start a successful company. His single-mindedness and determination is start something from nothing is nothing short of amazing. The company growth within 2 years had increased 300 percent. The work was becoming overwhelming to this man and his small office staff and that is when I was brought in. It was my job to run the company and to facilitate its continued growth. A sink or swim situation that was overwhelming at first, but I was determined to learn the ropes. And through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, I did. And I did a damn good job in my opinion. It was exciting to be apart of something that had the potential for being unique and good.

Things went well for a period of time. Just as long as I was allowed to do the managing and the boss just did his job of CEO and kept his nose out of day-to-day operations (my job). His strength was in the start up. He praised my job performance and we were both happy. Then, for reasons I still dont completely understand, he decided he need to micromanage my job and began to request that I implement ideas that I found to be bizarre and detrimental to business. I expressed my oppositions and the fireworks began. Back and forth it went. The company founder became more belligerent and nasty. As one might surmise, I became less satisfied with my position and desired to vacate it. Any attempt to use reason and calm in expressing opposing ideas was met with name-calling and insults. Until finally, I was told that I could take myself, and my opinions, and get thee out.

Eventually, I did. The man had the ultimate power and the final say in the direction of the company. And what become of that growing thriving company? It doesnt exist anymore. That man, and his inability to acknowledge his weaknesses, use his strengths and those of others, drove it to the ground. He had done this time and time again. Other employees were either fired or left in disgust. Completely destroyed. To this day, it causes me pain when I think about it. And it happened over ten years ago.

Now, I am not saying that will be the fate of Silent Lambs. But, I do see some parallels. I am merely sharing my experience and it is my wish to not have history repeat itself. I realize that the purpose of Silent lambs is much different than the business I was involved with. Still, with the national attention and its growth the need for temperance and reason is more important than ever. Battles need to be chosen more carefully and where they can make the greatest impact. As more lambs come forward and numbers grow the more a business-like attitude is going to have to have the final say. I know that this may alarm many people who value a personal approach, but I believe it is necessary for the long term effectiveness of SL.

The Letter

The overwhelming majority of people would have absolutely no clue as to what that letter is referring. Even with a history lesson of the WTS, the GB, and the complexities of JW hierarchy and the power they hold over the rank and file, it is one that is not EASILY understood by an outsider. I understand completely how this letter would evoke a positive response from a hurting former JW. Especially one has suffered emotional and physical trauma at the hands of the WTS and its henchmen. I can also sympathize with the satisfaction one can get seeing the GB perhaps getting a taste of their own medicine. But, in the end, what value will it truly bring to the victims? None, IMHO. Its only preaching to the choir. It will only make [underline]Silent lambs[/underline] look willing to hysterically grasp at anything to zing the WTS in the public eye. It makes me think of those organizations that are willing to pull( like throwing ketchup on fur coats), what the majority of the public, thinks to be silly stunts to get attention.

And this leads me to this point: It is the NON-JW public support that this organization needs and get its success. Though there may be thunderous applause from the some areas of the XJW community at the sight of that letter, and its balls to call out the all mighty governing board and its god complex, it is in such statements that precious credibility can be lost. It is the WORLD that SL needs to impress! Why? Because from them comes the press, the attorneys, THE JUDGES, THE JURIES, and most importantly, THE JUSTICE handed down to those that have suffered. From THOSE eyes we need to view information that is released regarding pedophilia/child abuse.

See, the public understands Whistle blower-cast out-pedophilia cover-up-protecting children. They understand the evil nature of such things. They DONT understand WTS inner-politics and they satisfaction that letter and such an event brings to many XJWs.

Well, Im sure I have probably irritated some people. Thats ok. I can take the heat. It is my sincere hope that SL will continue to help victims seek and receive justice until either WTS policy is changed or the organization itself is a mere bad memory for all that had the unfortunate fate to be involved with it.

Thank you.

Andee

Edited by - BeautifulGarbage on 7 October 2002 15:58:18

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon
    It is the WORLD that SL needs to impress!

I agree! The world will have to take notice and ask for change, either through laws or restrictions. Impressing us Ex-Jw is to easy. Impressing and gaining support from people who know nothing, that is a challenge.

Take Care

Dragon

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

If there is a God, and He is behind SL, who can stop it?

If it is Bill's vision alone, it will surely fail.

WHATEVER BILL DOES, it is surely another piece of straw, and maybe he's the straw that breaks the camels back.

My view.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I do not think that the success of a organization is based on God's backing. Otherwise, why would organization like the "KKK" exist today? The success of a organization is based on the passion of the leader, and the application of knowledge on how to gain success. Thus, even the best of programs have failed when the proper procedures were not followed.

My added thought

Dragon

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

One teeny weeny man and a bunch of victims, against WADS of money. You do the math.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Have you seen "Erin Brovovich(sp)?" It would help you to see that one person, or the small man can make a difference. If they use the law to their advantage, and work the system properly. PG&E was a huge company, with billions on there side. Yet, they lost.

Take Care

Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 7 October 2002 16:7:36

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

I think it's very important for the lambs to not put all their survival and legal prospects in the hands of Silentlambs. To do so would be counter productive and possibly disastrous.

Silentlambs is a magnificient support group, letting others know they are not alone and that they in fact have legal recourse, supporters etc.

However, each lamb's situation is unique and requires personal legal counsel and personal therapy. Personal - individual.

Silentlambs seems to have a couple of purposes, one of which is making changes within the JW religious set up. While this may help future victims, it won't help the present ones.

These lambs have experienced a major loss of control in their lives, and to throw all their eggs in the Silentlambs lap is to repeat this loss of control. Should Silentlambs 'fall thru', it would further devastate the lambs, whereas if they take their cases into their own hands, justice will move forward.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Mimilly

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Re: "Erin Brochovich"
    Maybe God was behind her too?

Edited by - pomegranate on 7 October 2002 16:12:42

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Personally, I think the law had more to do with it. Then again, I am not a Christian and view God differently. Either way, by working the system properly. The results helped the little guy to have a voice that mattered.

Take Care

Dragon

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

God is the Law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit