The 1995 Generation Change

by sloppyjoe2 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

The bit they admitted in 2013 is that they were not appointed in 1919 over all Christ's belongings.

That bit is still future.

• Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Israel Ricky Gonzales

*** w13 7/15 p. 8 par. 19 “Tell Us, When Will These Things Be?” ***
    In review, what have we learned? In the beginning of this article, we raised three “when” questions. We first considered that the great tribulation did not begin in 1914 but will start when the United Nations attacks Babylon the Great. Then, we reviewed why Jesus’ judgment of the sheep and the goats did not begin in 1914 but will occur during the great tribulation. Finally, we examined why Jesus’ arrival to appoint the faithful slave over all his belongings did not occur in 1919 but will take place during the great tribulation. So, then, all three “whens” apply to the same future time period—the great tribulation. How does this adjusted view further affect our understanding of the illustration of the faithful slave? Also, how does it affect our understanding of other parables, or illustrations, of Jesus that are being fulfilled during this time of the end? These important questions will be considered in the following articles.

To me, that is an admission that they were never appointed over all Christ's belongings in 1919. They do still claim to have been appointed over the domestics in 1919, and outline what the domestics entail, which is basically everything here on the earth. Sounds like a "cover your ass" to me.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sounds like a "cover your ass" to me.

Yes it does more like white washing over their past proclamations to deem the organization as it existed then were not being guided or chosen by god.

Dirty scoundrels.

Now they can in their minds claim new light and change doctrines as they see fit.

Its great when you make up your own set of rules and then change then when time moves along that proves what was taught was really wrong and redundant.

All the while still proclaiming god's only solemnly chosen organization.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I remember a few things about the generation change in 1995.

first, this teaching was a huge deal. It was always used whenever 1914 was mentioned as the start of the last days, and it was particularly popular in the late 80's early 90's. My brother had a stock presentation he would use at the doors as a pioneer, and the generation scripture was always the clincher.

however I do remember when I was younger and we were in a meeting and this scripture was used. I read the context of the scripture and leaned over to my mother and whispered 'couldn't this generation just mean a nonspecific group of people?' She sort of nodded, suggesting it was too deep to discuss then. I never brought it up again, but decided that the witnesses were applying it too specifically (as with so many things). I generally was never a true believer and took many of their teachings with a grain of salt.

so the generation change came along and I felt vindicated somewhat. I was like 'of course they changed it. They had to, time was running out, and unless they wanted the religion to fizzle away, they had to change it.'

It seemed like people didn't want to talk about it. Maybe they were scared of what they would say. They didn't want to sound negative. But I was surprised one day in a car group in service, a big SUV that was packed, this older sister with health problems and a loud voice said 'Can you believe this new Watchtower? It sounds like this old system can just go on and on, now! I can't believe it, I SOO wanted to live to see the paradise!!!' She was so discouraged. I felt bad for her, but also enjoyed that someone was being honest about how they felt.

Shortly after this, I was in an airport shop with my husband and father waiting for a flight, and I picked up Time magazine. There was a weekly short religious column at that time (Jojo I loved that Newsweek article by the way, thanks for finding it!) The Time column was about the generation change, and it mentioned 1975, and the end comment was 'It remains to be seen how witnesses will respond to this disappointment and if their numbers will significantly decline.' That comment made me slightly mad, because even if I wasnt a true believer, I was a loyalist. I tried to show the article to my father, he wasn't interested. My husband barely acknowledged it either. frustrating for me, because I always liked to discuss controversial stuff.

But with a swift pitch, that scripture stopped being used at the door and was rarely used at meetings. The absence of it seemed strange, like something was missing, The train of reasoning they had used for so long was missing the last stop.

• Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Israel Ricky Gonzales

Much like when Jesus asked the Pharisees of the baptism of John was from God or men, and they refused to answer, I posed a similar question to the elders in my JC.

I asked them: so if they taught of an appointment for 90+ years that Jesus Christ himself made, and it never happened, did that appointment come from Jehovah or men?

crickets...... They refused to answer it and did not make eye contact with me. Classic and epic!

• TD
    TD

I do remember when I was younger and we were in a meeting and this scripture was used. I read the context of the scripture and leaned over to my mother and whispered 'couldn't this generation just mean a nonspecific group of people?' She sort of nodded, suggesting it was too deep to discuss then.

It was apparently too deep for Watchtower writers....

Temporal prepositions like, "Until" do establish a specific relationship between events and when one of those events is the passing away of a generation, you are talking about a specific group.

The '95 explanation ignored the linear sequence that grammar demands and the result was absolute gibberish:

"Those taking no note of the sign won't be destroyed at Armageddon until the entire sign preceding Armageddon occurs."

Or in super, ultra condensed form:

"Armageddon won't occur until it occurs."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So basically now if you rejected what the WTS. taught through its own doctrines from 1919 onward, you are now deemed righteous and loyal to Jesus Christ, its only the people now living who are loyal and accepting to the direction and teachings of todays GB that are approved in appeasement to Jehovah ???

Nothing like covering your bases when you can.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FayeDunaway - "...the witnesses were applying it too specifically (as with so many things)."

I've come to the conclusion that - from their POV - they had to apply many things too specifically...

...otherwise they would have ended up interpreting the Bible like a bazillion other small Christian denominations, and thusly undermined their own sense of uniqueness.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

"There are many reasons to have complete trust in the slave class. First and foremost, Jesus has appointed them over all his precious "belongings." This is a clear indication that he has complete trust in them." Organized to Do Jehovah's Will (2005) p.18

Sometimes I wonder if people even read these magazines...as Ricky already pointed out, complete trust in the slave class was because they were appointed over all of christ's precious belongings...except, now no the weren't!

*** w13 7/15 p. 8 par. 19 “Tell Us, When Will These Things Be?” ***

Finally, we examined why Jesus’ arrival to appoint the faithful slave over all his belongings did not occur in 1919 but will take place during the great tribulation.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Like someone said earlier on this thread.....fumbling idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit