The 1995 Generation Change

by sloppyjoe2 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

At about that time I asked myself if I'd stay a JW even if it could be proved wrong. I thought I might.

When the article came up, I was surprised the lack of response to it. The article made no sense, but it washed away a huge chunk of chronology. I brushed that off, but I probably also stopped bothering to care if the teachings were true or not too as a result. It didn't matter, since every teaching was evidently able to be made to go away with just one article that would just be accepted. What would be next?

I'd thought before about what I'd do if the religion was proved false, and I suppose I hadn't been able to comprehend being the first in my family to leave the JWs at tbat time. It took 2 more years to sort myself out and realize that I would not, could not stay and it was ok to leave.

So I left. The Watchtower is just a weekly science fiction series.

• trebor
    trebor

Ah, yes...The good ol' 'Generation' teaching...

Let's take a look at the Watchtower Society's teaching of 'generation', from a longer historical perspective:

Generation (Mathew 24:34)...

-1927 = The Anointed
    [Watchtower February 15, 1927 page 62]

-1942 = Anyone alive to see 1914
    [Watchtower July 1, 1942 page 204]

-1995 = Wicked People alive today
    [Watchtower November 1, 1995 page 19]

-2008 = The Anointed
    [Watchtower February 15, 2008 page 24]

-2010 = Overlap Generations of the Anointed since 1914
    [Watchtower April 15, 2010 page 10]

Source: http://savedfromthewatchtower.blogspot.com/2010/01/next-generation-is-this-generation.html

I recall more than a few coming up to me in shock. Even one asking me directly, "Do you know what this means?" My 'toe the line' response was we must continue to follow the organization no matter what. Unfortunately, it would take more than a dozen years later for me to finally wake up.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I am 36. 1995 was 20 years ago already. 1985 was 30 years ago. 30 years ago the WT's and Awake!'s with the whole 1914 and Generation covers were fresh in our young minds. How big was it? HUGE. As a child of 6 in 1985, there was an older gentlemen in my congregation in Columbia, PA named Charlie Nagle. I kind, tall, then gentleman of 90+ years old. So, he was clearly of that Generation. I remember always asking him how many more years to 100? It was just kind of a kid joke.....and also kind of a joke of the times.....that being, that he wouldn't be an old man at 100, because the "New Order" would be here and he'd be young with me and we could play together. How sad.......Brother Nagle and his wife have long since departed, and at 36 I'm in the early stages of middle age and at some point will reach old age. I am becoming the old man. (though I'm fighting it, as I'm in great shape).

This cult has put such a mind-job on all of us. And it's really mentally frustrating to know and hear about people on a few years younger than myself (30-ish) who don't know about how much emphasis and importance was placed on 1914 and the Generation.....to the point that WE (ex-JWs, etc) actually have to explain it to them, or that they deny it!!!!!! That is very, very nerve-racking to me. It's almost like my childhood belief system didn't even happen, even though I lived it!!!! That is crazy....just crazy!!!

I wish I could say the 1995 change woke me up. Truth is, I was 15 and too busy to even read those idiotic magazines. My parents got the mags, but hadn't been attending much at all since 1991 or so. It was completely missed by my family until later. What a mind-job this cult is.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I think I missed the particular study that discussed the changes. ( always a slacker).

I was in my 20's and while sitting in a dentists waiting room I was reading through a 'Time' magazine article with the title ' The end is fluid' , or something similar. I'm still ashamed that I had to read a 'Time' magazine to comprehend what the change meant.

The magazine discussed the new changes and I have to confess, it was the first I had heard of it, even though I was still attending regularly and witnessing. No one had mentioned the new changes to me and I don't remember anyone discussing it.

When you think about it, this WT article should have had a massive impact on JW's around the world and got everyone buzzing. The fact that it didn't proves that most people are asleep or have had the critical thinking beaten out of them with the 'happifying stick'.

Anyone that becomes a JW after 1995 (including born-ins) will never fully understand the expectation about 'the generation' that everyone felt for decades and decades leading up to the end of the 20th century.

The 'overlapping generation' is a concept that makes no sense on any level.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Found the article (not Time magazine).

Apocalypse Later: Jehovah's Witnesses decide the end is fluid

Jehovah's Witnesses decide the end is fluid

From Newsweek magazine, December 18, 1995, page 59. Article by Kenneth L. Woodard, with Joel P. Engardio.

THE THIRD MILLENNIUM is just four years away, and you'd think that Jehovah's Witnesses would be ecstatic. Ever since the movement's inception in the 1870s, the Witnesses have insisted that the world as we know it is about to end. According to their unique Biblical calculations, the countdown to Armageddon commenced in 1914 -- the first world war was a major sign -- and Christ would establish his millennial kingdom on earth "before the generation who saw the events of 1914 passes away." For countless Witnesses, this prediction was good reason not to save money, start a career or make burial plans. As one of their leaders famously preached in 1918: "Millions now living will never die."

Now, it seems, all millennial bets are off. In last month's issue of The Watchtower, the sect's leaders quietly acknowledged that Jesus was right in the first place, when he said that "no one knows the day or the hour." All previous references to timetables for Armageddon, the magazine now suggests, were speculation rather than settled doctrine. The year 1914 still marks the beginning of the last days. But those who hoped to witness the battle of Armageddon and the establishment of God's kingdom on earth will have to wait. Henceforth, any generation that experiences such calamities as war and plagues like AIDS could be the one to witness the end times. In short, the increasingly middle-class Witnesses would do well to buy life insurance.

If this serious revision of expectations takes the edge off the Witnesses' apocalyptic profile, it also buys them time. The generation that was alive in 1914 is rapidly disappearing, and the the sect's current leadership shows every sign of digging in for the long haul. In recent years the Witnesses have been on a building spree: they just completed a 670-acre educational center in rural New York state that includes 624 apartments, garages for up to 800 cars and a dining facility that accommodates 1,600 people at one sitting. Officials of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (the Witnesses' official title) deny that the leadership felt a generational pressure to change. "The end is still close," says Witness spokesman Bob Pevy. "We just can't put numbers on Jesus' words."

So far, the new interpretation has caused no noticeable decline in membership among the 5.1 million Witnesses worldwide. But then, they rarely air their differences with outsiders. "Believing the end was imminent gave a special urgency to being a Jehovah's Witness," says Ray Franz, a former member of the society's governing board in Brooklyn, N.Y., who left the church in 1981. Older members, especially, heroically risked their lives and reputations by refusing blood transfusions, military service, allegiance to the flag and other acts prohibited by their faith -- all with the expectation that they would soon live forever in the paradise of God's new kingdom on earth. Charles Kris, 73, a retired autoworker from Saginaw, Mich., served three years in prison with 400 other Witnesses for refusing to fight in World War II. "It was prison life, but I took advantage of the time to study the Bible and witness to other prisoners," he recalls.

But for Kris, and especially for those younger Witnesses who have no memory of the rough early days (the Nazis interred many Witnesses in concentration camps), preaching God's message is more important than witnessing the end of the world. "I'd like to see it happen," says Kris, who still hands out tracts door to door.

"But if it doesn't happen in my lifetime, I won't be disappointed."

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Joel Engardio was writing about the witnesses as far back as 1995. I didn't know that.
  • Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Israel Ricky Gonzales

Seems like there are a few on this thread my age, 36 now, so I was 16 when this doctrinal change happened. I was 32 when the overlapping generation change happened. And I was 35 when they admitted they they were NOT appointed in 1919 over all Christ's belongings. All three changes flew over my radar.

I do remember being at a Circuit Assembly in 2010 when it was time to review the WT article with the overlapping change and seeing many overjoyed and talking about it afterward. I was kind of in a state of shock on the whole thing and seeing a sister actually cry out in joy for this change, but thought nothing of it afterwards. I guess I was just a sleep walking JW for 20+ years who used critical thinking for everything else in life except when it came to my own religion.

After I started waking up in 2014, and started realizing that I had been duped, it immediately came to me: Wait a minute! They admitted in 2013 that they were NEVER appointed by Jesus. Sooooooooo, for over 90 years, they taught AS TRUTH of an appointment by Jesus himself that never happened???!!!

It was like cognitive dissonance slapping me into reality.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    That's a helluva Newsweek article! I had no clue that even existing.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They admitted in 2013 that they were NEVER appointed by Jesus in 1919 .

Are you sure of that Israel ???

For many decades they said they were concerning that year .

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Either way its quite obvious now the WTS and its leaders created whatever bullshit it could to support themselves as something uniquely special, truthful and righteous among those other Christian based faiths. In reality they were more deceiving and false in their teachings as anointed prophets, instigated and influenced mostly from their own literature proliferation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit