The 1995 Generation Change

by sloppyjoe2 69 Replies latest jw friends

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    I was just a teenager and have a vivid memory of sitting in a chair doing a microphone for the sunday meeting. Everyone was commenting that it didn't mean the end was far off, and it didn't change the condition of the dead, or the 144,000, or the trinity so we should still remain faithful. This is my first memory as a kid being just a teen that I ever had a single doubt. I had not pre studied or read the magazine since they used to be mailed to our house, so this study was the first time I knew of the change. I remember thinking they just changed this because they ran out of time, there was no new revelation from God. But I soon forgot about it, went on playing with my friends and took many more years before I really realized I believed in something false. I had studied out of the red live forever book and it was a HUGE teaching we as JWs used at the time to show how close the end was. I am sure it would be downplayed now by current JWs as not a big deal, but I certainly remember it being repeated over and over during my childhood. For those that were in at the time, what was your reaction?
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

For me it wasn't a big deal. To be honest it wasn't until I started visiting apostate sights that I truly began to realise what had happened and the magnitude of it. Looking back I wonder what was going through my mind and I guess the answer is doctrin just wasn't important to me.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I was 9 when it was changed, I think, so I didn't notice it at the time...but the strange thing is that even well after that, in my area the generation of 1914 was still often talked about as if they never changed the 1995 teaching. I think this happened from the platform, but it definitely happened in comments (i.e. "those born in 1914 are really old now...") without being corrected from the platform. I guess a lot of people either missed it altogether or just couldn't accept it. They definitely didn't do nearly as much to push that change as they have the overlapping generation nonsense.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am deeply ashamed that it did not move me to further questioning and research.

Two JW's came up to me after that WT study and asked for my opinion, they both felt that something was badly wrong.

I fobbed them off, and thought no more about it myself.

What a Grade A, 100% Plonker I was, I could have left long before I did, and still have had time to turn my life around.

As it is, my lifetime's indoctrination killed the questions.

As I say, I am deeply ashamed of myself.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It was enormous... Looking back, it was the probably the start of my looking critically at the G B , although it was years later that the penny dropped.

This how we had always viewed it (from the "Truth Book")

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It floored me at first. But as a good JW Eldub I began to thoroughly research their explanation. As a JW that meant hours spent pouring over WT & Aw bound volumes &/or the WT Library.

It seems like the key word was "to-te" -- "and then".........(vs. "now").....the end will come.

Yes, I realize so clearly now that it was damage control over the 1914 generation. That little expression "THEN" sure has been a long period of delay, hasn't it. At least it was a better spin than this Overlapping Generation BS.

Fortunately today for those who have a doubt there is an abundance of material available for research. (And I do not refer to WT Library. LOL)

I vivid recall one sister who decided that if The Big A wasn't coming "now", but was still off in the future, then she wasn't putting up with her deadbeat husband anymore. She dumped him cold. I'm sure she's still glad she did, but she's still a "faithful" JW sister, now remarried, and still not very happy. (Maybe it was HER?)

Doc

• cappytan
    cappytan

I was 15. Probably running mics or on the sound system.

My father was the Watchtower conductor. I remember us studying it for Family Study (as Family Worship was then called) the night before.

I remember him explaining with some excitement that this was a new understanding and how awesome and privileged we are that the FDS is directing us in this time of the end.

I ate it up, towed the line, and swallowed the kool-aid.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

OEJ

I guess a lot of people either missed it altogether or just couldn't accept it.

To this day about 95% of my old congregation members will not accept the overlapping generation change. They tell me that new light will reveal that the old light was correct.

DOC

She dumped him cold. I'm sure she's still glad she did, but she's still a "faithful" JW sister, now remarried, and still not very happy. (Maybe it was HER?)

LOL! Not “Maybe” it was her

(IT WAS HER)

That’s just so funny, I’ll be cracking up all day.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The GB of the WTS lures people into their organization with false doctrines, self proclamations that god has chosen their organization then exploits people to distribute these false commercialized lies to lure even more people in.

Of course " This Generation " doctrine had to change, time simply ran out.

Religion is about organizing lies, then getting people to support those lies.

Some people can stomach these lies, some cant ...... like myself.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Of course " This Generation " doctrine had to charge, time simply ran out.

on Wikipedia says 'There are estimated to be 300–450 living supercentenarians[3] in the world, though only 45 verified cases are known'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit