The 1995 Generation Change

by sloppyjoe2 69 Replies latest jw friends

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

I didn't give it a lot of thought at the time. I was graduating HS and dating. I remember the change, but I also remember how much they stressed that the end was still coming soon, you know because things were so bad and just getting worse. I made life altering decisions based on how much they emphasized that the end was close.

I wish I had woke up then...

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf
    @Phizzy As it is, my lifetime's indoctrination killed the questions.

I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. I can top everyone here so far, I actually conducted that Watchtower study. I remember thinking that faith was more important than the actual timing, mostly because deep down I knew there was never going to be an armageddon. At least not in the sense that the Jdubs believe.

I also realized that very few in attendance that day really grasped what a momentous change in doctrine that was. I'm really surprised more didn't walk away at that time.

What a dolt I was. But at least I made it out. There's still a whole lot of people that were there that Sunday in 1995 that are still lapping up the horsesh&t.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I have wondered since learning about this new light how people like my parents and relatives reacted all I know is that they are still in lapping it up. All it took for me to realize the GB and the rest of religion was wrong was careful research into evolution.

I guess Finkel is right some people can stomach the lies some can't. I'll bet there are people in North Korea that staunchly believe what they are fed by the regime in power. I don't think it's got anything necessarily to do with intelligence either. We see it here in free countries with the intelligent people swallowing some of the nonsense we see politicians push.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

on Wikipedia says 'There are estimated to be 300–450 living super centenarians[3] in the world, though only 45 verified cases are known'

Irrelevant the 1914 date was a false a doctrine anyways , the overwhelming majority of bible scholars know that.

If people would really pay close attention to what Jesus said about making a set time on God's own sacred time, they would realize that the Watchtower committed an act of Apostasy or acted as false prophets.

• steve2
    steve2
    Truth is very, very few gave the change any thought whatsoever, unlike earlier generations of JWs who were literally Bible students. The modern breed of JWs is largely disinterested in doctrine, let alone tinketing over what key words mean.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

If people would really pay close attention to what Jesus said about making a set time on God's own sacred time, they would realize that the Watchtower committed an act of Apostasy or acted as false prophets.

were you a witness?

• Magnum
    Magnum

it was a HUGE teaching we as JWs used at the time to show how close the end was. I am sure it would be downplayed now by current JWs as not a big deal, but I certainly remember it being repeated over and over during my childhood.

I agree. It was a major point that was repeated over and over to me by the top JWs in my area. I heard it said over and over that a generation is 70 yrs but could be 80 yrs at the max. 80 years from 1914 is 1994. So 1994 was the absolute limit.

And don't forget, they had already bought themselves some time prior to that. The teaching used to be that a person had to be old enough to recognize what was going on in 1914, so he had to be at least ten years old. That means he would have been born in 1904 and the limit would have been 1984. They bought themselves some time by changing that and saying that a person could have been born in 1914 and wouldn't have to have been able to recognize what was going on.

So that bought them about ten years. Then when time ran out on them in 1994, they changed the teaching again, and things got clear as mud.

I remember the series of articles like it was yesterday. I had been pioneering for a number of years and had all my eggs in the JW basket. Looking back, I think that's when it started going downhill for me. I really thought at that point that they were just guessing and that they simply had to change the teaching because time ran out on them. I strongly felt that there was no divine guidance involved.

I am sure it would be downplayed now by current JWs as not a big deal

I think it's actually worse than that. I believe most of the new generation of JWs don't even know about it. I posted on this site a few months ago an experience I had. A 32-yr-old JW tried to informal witness to me in a parking lot. She had never heard of Fred Franz, knew nothing of the old generation teachings, probably didn't understand the current one, etc. A lot of our conversation revolved around me explaning her own doctrines to her and relating the history of her organization.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. very much exploited the general population's ignorance of what the bible says.

They exalted themselves as god's chosen organization, then postulated lies and false doctrines with the intent of proliferating their literature and cultivating their own semblance of power and control around themselves.

umm umm umm ..... thats some good lying

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

were you a witness?

of course from birth pioneered talks etc.

• DisArmed
    DisArmed
    That was the last straw for me. I started my exit immediately. I can remember my best elder friend and me discussing that either the big A had to come pretty soon or doctrine would have to change. Well low and behold we know what happened. When it comes to changing doctrine, I don't see the GB as sinister as some do. I think they are just fumbling idiots. Either way, I don't want to be following them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit