Help a lurking dub with doubts

by undercover 64 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Terry
    Terry

14. 1975 was the last firm date set by the Governing Body and it failed too. A backlash began a crackdown and asserting of Authority grew.

Allow me to respectfully disagree (though slightly) with that single item, 14. Recall that a few years before 1975 had even begun, they must've felt they needed another 25 years or so to hedge their bet, extending their prediction to the end of the century

". . .Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah - How? 1971, Chap. 12 pp. 216-217

Cheers, Len.

I've always suspected that somebody went ___around____Freddy Franz in saying that in print just to modify the (what must have seemed terrifying) enthusiasm for 1975. But, your point is well taken. I was active at that time and I did not encounter ANYBODY who wasn't 100% sure the actual end was attached to that date.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was active at that time and I did not encounter ANYBODY who wasn't 100% sure the actual end was attached to that date.

That's interesting Terry. I came along in the 90's and questioned them about 1975. I was assured that MOST people didn't really put a lot of stock in 1975 and that it was only the weak ones that jumped on that wagon wholeheartedly. Also, it was a "sifting" to flesh out those who were serving with a date in mind. For that matter, no one I ever met admitted to being caught up in the 75 hype and always referred to those that did as a "different" sort. I believed them and it was only after coming here that I realize how serious and widespread it really was.

Undercover, again sorry about the identity confusion. I was up late and had never really read anything personal from you. For some reason I confused you with Outlaw. As a matter of fact, I even looked for the snickering dog at the end of your dream post and thought "He must really be serious right now, he left out the dog," LOL Such is the faceless internet.

NC

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

For those out there who are bitter and angry I just want to say feeling that way is a normal human response. It does not mean you are wicked, evil, or spiritually weak. These are normal feeling, and a reasonable reaction. And you can not stay there for an extended time and be healthy. Just as someone crying can not keep weeping for an extended period. We need time to work thru these emotions.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I was active at that time and I did not encounter ANYBODY who wasn't 100% sure the actual end was attached to that date.

That's interesting Terry. I came along in the 90's and questioned them about 1975. I was assured that MOST people didn't really put a lot of stock in 1975 and that it was only the weak ones that jumped on that wagon wholeheartedly. Also, it was a "sifting" to flesh out those who were serving with a date in mind.

I recently heard a newly baptized brother make the comment in the WT Study that although HE was too new to recall the 1975 time period, his study conductor assured him that all the negative being said about the WTS making the definitive date was apostate propaganda. DUH?

DOC

• bsmart
    bsmart

Bumping this for anyone new and thinking they are alone in discovering something rotten in the Kingdom Hall. It's not you, it really stinks.

The responses are great and some of the older members are no longer with us (I really miss Farkel)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit