Help a lurking dub with doubts

by undercover 64 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• undercover
    undercover

I've been lurking about, checking out some of the evidence against the WTBS. I am currently inactive but still an approved/baptized member. I have seen all the 1914/607bce evidence; the blood transfusion quandry evidence; the current child abuse problem evidence and several other things that are damning to the WT doctrines.

I see that some here are sincere people hoping that others see what they believe they have seen, but others seem bitter and vindictive. I try to weed through the most negative to look for facts and evidence, not opinion and mudslinging.

My predicament in having lost faith in the Society is this: Does the GB really believe they are God's human channel for all of mankind to learn about his kingdom? Or is there some sinister conspiracy? Is it to fleece millions of people to make them rich or powerful? What do they gain by this notoriety? The thing about committing yourself to the fact that the WTBS may not be God's organization is if they are not, then who is? Or is there an earthly organization at all? God is a god of organization. I am leaning to the old Russell(or was it Rutherford) philosphy of "Religion is a snare and a racket" way of thinking.

When you see all the so called "mind-control" evidence compiled and listed together from years of literature it makes me wonder, "Are they really that smart? Are they trying to control our very thinking? Or is just because of being no different than the rest of us(ideas and opinions change over time) and there is more than one man's thoughts going into the writing, that things just get muddled up?" If they were that smart, I can't see them getting caught in inconsistencies all the time.

Since becoming inactive and no longer "feeding on the teachings from the F&DS", my mind seems freeer, more at ease. I see things I didn't see before(the little inconsistencies that we just used to shrug our shoulders at). I feel like a huge burden has been lifted. Is it because I'm lazy and don't wanna get dressed up 4 days a week, go to meetings, knock on doors or is because my mind has been released from some control that was on it? Some of the teachings are correct and have opened the door to people learning about the Bilbe, while others seem to be contrived, relying on old opinions and dogma. Am I being picky about things that will eventually get straightened out, or am I correct in sensing that something is very wrong?

I have not read R. Franz's or C.O. Johansons books yet. I'm trying to figure a way of getting them locally, paying cash instead of charging over the Internet. Yea, a little paranoid. I know that's what some of you will say to do, is read these books. But I would like some input as to what finally made up your minds. Is there anyone else that had the same thoughts that I have now? What convinced you to believe as you do now? Are some of you still active, afraid to commit and comment outloud because of the possibility of losing all former ties to friends and relatives? Is that not as hypocritical as some say the GB is?

As you can see, I am fairly confused over this. Do I jump on the bandwagon of saying the Society is full of mistakes just so I can be part of the World? Sounds like the easy way out. Any input would be appreciated and I apologize for my rambling. I have spoke to NO ONE about this and these are things that eat away at you at night. (If this comes up as a red font, sorry. I don't know how to change back to black font.)

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

You ask:

My predicament in having lost faith in the Society is this: Does the GB really believe they are God's human channel for all of mankind to learn about his kingdom?

How about we allow the facts to speak for themselves?

Let us look at direct quotes taken from the Watchtower magazine.

*** Watchtower 1981 December 1 p.27 The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter ***

Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his "faithful and discreet slave," made up of spirit-anointed ones ... Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do.

*** Watchtower 1967 October 1 p.590 Finding Freedom with Jehovah's Visible Organization ***

Jehovah poured out his spirit upon them and assigned them the responsibility of serving as his sole visible channel, through whom alone spiritual instruction was to come. Those who recognize Jehovah's visible theocratic organization, therefore, must recognize and accept this appointment of the "faithful and discreet slave" and be submissive to it.

*** Watchtower 1981 February 15 p.19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible? ***

OUR VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using . At the Brooklyn headquarters from which the Bible publications of Jehovah's Witnesses emanate there are more mature Christian elders, both of the "remnant" and of the "other sheep," than anywhere else upon earth.

*** Watchtower 1965 June 1 p.352 Questions from Readers ***

New features of the work have required new methods, which has meant revisions and changes from time to time in organization instructions, but it is all a part of the advancement of Jehovah's theocratically controlled organization under the immediate direction of Jehovah God himself. Therefore, these revisions and changes are themselves fully theocratic, so they do not alter in any way the fully theocratic structure of the organization.

*** Watchtower 1961 July 15 pp.431-2 Become Activated by the Spirit of Jehovah ***

6 From a study of God's Word one appreciates that Jehovah does not dispense his dynamic energy through just any organization that chooses to label itself religious. Neither does God deal with individuals independently of his own wifely organization, the "mother" of all those dedicated to God. (Gal. 4:26) He has always had His channel of communication on earth through which his spirit operates . Remember how Miriam and Aaron tried to bypass this channel and almost lost their lives as a result? Only after Jesus had been baptized by Jehovah's representative did he receive holy spirit and strength to enable him to do his powerful works. (Num. 12:1-16; Matt. 3:16; Acts 10:38) By and through this holy spirit Jesus aided those associated with him so they could understand the truth, and so they too could receive power to "cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons." Thus is emphasized the importance of association with Jehovah's organization.-Matt. 10:8; Luke 24:45; 1 Cor. 2:10.

*** Watchtower 1964 May 1 p.277-8 Building a Firm Foundation in Christ ***

8 God's Word is the basis of our faith. As we pore over its pages our mind is communing with God's. Our faith is established and strengthened. We are "always ready to make a defense" by offering "a reason for the hope" that we hold, and we are thereby equipped to teach others the way of life. (1 Pet. 3:15; 2 Tim. 2:2) Why, though, is such emphasis placed on "accurate" knowledge? Why should such care be exercised in our study of the columns of The Watchtower , and of our application of the Scripture texts to the material under consideration? It is through the columns of The Watchtower that Jehovah provides direction and constant Scriptural counsel to his people, and it requires careful study and attention to details in order to apply this information, to get a full understanding of the principles involved, and to assure ourselves of right thinking on these matters. It is in this way that we "are thoroughly able to grasp mentally with all the holy ones" the fullness of our commission and of the preaching responsibility that Jehovah has placed on all Christians as footstep followers of his Son. Any other course would produce independent thinking and cause division. "Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1 Cor. 1:10) If all who are associated in the Christian organization have the mind of God and of Christ there will be unity and all will be built up in maturity of understanding.

Do your research. The facts speak for themselves.

For any rationally thinking person, it should be BLATANTLY OBVIOUS.

• ugg
    ugg

hi,,,and welcome..i do not have any words of wisdom for you,,,i wish i
    did,,,,i am not dis'f or dis'a....just in hiding and very inactive...
    i am an elders wife,,,so i have opportunity to hear the "latest"

take your time,,,read and discuss things that might bother you..you are
    not alone in your feelings...SO MANY HERE,,,have gone through so much...

there are lots of ex elders,,ms..ect ect here,,,that i am sure will
    help you alot...stick around,,,you will find comfort here...

• og
    og

Hang in there bro. You're not lazy, or weak, you're just waking up. It hurts at first, but keeps getting better and better. Read a lot, hang out here a little bit, and just enjoy your new freedoms. Maybe get a video or two that you would never have watched as JW. Do your own thing.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Personal, for me, it was very difficult to finally realize that the org. wasn't the *truth*, but after educating myself, reading, reading, reading, till the wee-hours in the morning, anything and everything that I could get my hands on, I realized that everything that I had been taught my whole life was false! It's simply a matter of opening your eyes, finding the courage to stand up for what is right and acting upon it. I don't hate the Jehovah's Witnesses, I simple feel alot of people have been mislead. I wish there was something that I could do to make the rest of my j.w. siblins see the WTS for what it really is, but I'm afraid that will probably never be possible. They are in it pretty deep with their own families. I can only hope that they will one day open their eyes. I'm not saying that I have all the answers, but I feel deep down in my heart that the WTS does not hold the answers. Yes it may have been alot eaiser on me if I had stayed in and kept my mouth shut, but my conscience would not and could not allow me to do so.

Seek and you shall find, open your eyes and you shall see! It takes alot of courage to take a stand.

Good luck to you in your search for truth!

• undercover
    undercover

Reborn,

I'm not so interested as to what they say in the WT. I'm trying to come to grips with the conspiracy theory. Maybe I wasn't so clear in my first post. Are they sincere in thinking they speak for God, or are they intentionally misleading people? I know they say they are God's channel, but is it a ruse or are they delusional?

I'm new here, so if I speak out of turn or step on toes, I apololgize in advance. I'm just trying to find some answers to questions I've had.

• JG
    JG

Hi
    I'm not alot of help, I'm worldly ohhhh ahhhhh but as far as getting the books by cash etc. Go to Hastings if you have one and order them that's how I was able to get mine without causing probs with my wife.

Good luck
    Sean

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Welcome Undercover,

Yes, some of us are, at times "bitter and vindicative", but that's what can happen when going through the process of realizing how deceived we have been. You will learn a great deal on this site and it will bring comfort. Get Ray Franz's books and educate yourself, just as one would who has found that they have been living with a terrible disease.

• og
    og

IMNSHO:

re: conspiracies

Russell was definitely a cold-blooded crook, as bad as Hubbard or Moon. Rutherford recognized a good thing and moved in after Russell's death to live the high life. After that... not so clear cut. Some believers, some con men. Like any religion or political party, but crueler.

The above is certified fact-free speculation.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Are some of you still active, afraid to commit and comment outloud because of the possibility of losing all former ties to friends and relatives? Is that not as hypocritical as some say the GB is?

How can that be hypocritical? Does the GB have family or loved ones to loose? No, the GB claims to be God's chosen mouthpiece. They gladly enjoy the power that this title brings them. Why give up the glory?

If a member of the rank and file chooses to stay silent at this time in order to be able to stay close to their families, what is it to you? What purpose could you possibly have for asking this question? Are you here to bait the forum?

I think you need to work out your own issues with the WTS. Don't worry about what others are doing.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit