Help a lurking dub with doubts

by undercover 64 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

New Chapter, so glad you "resurrected" this. It's "Deja vu all over again" and yet it's nearly 10 YEARS OLD.

It appears that most of those posters have moved on. I guess it's encouraging to know that is possible (vs. the addiction I now have for this place). Though it would certainly be interesting to know where some of them are now, 9 years later. I do see Undercover still here regularly and with 13000+ posts evidently still going strong.

DOC

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi 20571pnt428571 and congratulations on your eloquence. You seem to demonstrate, at first blush, that the GB has had the inside scoop on the book of Revelation. Your "legacy of truth", however, lacks a few details about deep Watchtower history -- one that should make you truly blush. Check out the following table -- and it's two accompanying charts.

Just those Beginning dates makes my head swim. To put those into persepective, let's chart those.

Finally, THE GREAT WATCHTOWER CONTRADICTION, while only an 11 minute read, is designed for new ones. Picture yourself, the old-timer, at the door this coming weekend and someone hands you that document. How would you, with all that seasoned knowledge of Watchtower history, respond to the simple question this poses?

Len

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

New Chapter are you confusing Outlaw with Undercover?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I Thought the same thing, NC. I believed you have confused the two.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL---I AM confusing the two! Thanks. Sorry Outlaw---Sorry Undercover.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

WOW Letters and Numbers---that's an awful lot of explanation to justify false prophecy. You've got it bad.

NC

• Terry
    Terry

A simplified history

1. A Military hero, William Miller, started publicly preaching the 2nd coming of Jesus in 1844. Many people split with their church over this and followed his teachings.

2.The Great Disappointment followed. Miller was wrong. He tried again and failed.

3.Die Hard 2nd Adventists who would not admit they were wrong kept on trying. Many chronologies, charts and explanations exploded popularly.

4.Charles Taze Russell, after a bout of zeal, non-belief and revived zeal, used his family fortune to delve into 2nd Adventist writings, charts, proofs.

5.Russell opted for HIS OWN chronology supported by Pyramidology. He founded a publishing empire to advertise his theology.

6.Russell declared Jesus had returned invisibly in 1874. the END OF THE WORLD was coming in 1914.

7.Russell died in 1916. Judge Rutherford used Russell's writings to consolidate his authority and then abandoned most of them.

8.Rutherford promoted vile hate speech against Jews (Big Business) government (landing him in prison for sedition) and all religion except His own version.

9.Rutherford predicted 1925 would bring (Armageddon) and the resurrection. He failed but later built a mansion to house the resurrected. He lived there.

10.Rutherford wrote to Hitler claiming he agreed with the fight against the International Jewish Conspiracy (Big Business) until the Germans confiscated the headquarters contents, later he claimed the opposite.

11.Repeated use of martyrs for public relations purposes (deaths over blood transfusion refusal) rejection of holidays, military "neutrality", crazy health pronouncements (aluminum cookware is poison, germs don't cause disease) were published.

12. Claims that Jehovah used JW's as a "mouthpiece" were contradicted by changes in teaching and false dates.

13.Revisions of history in the Organization occur again and again.

14.1975 was the last firm date set by the Governing Body and it failed too. A backlash began a crackdown and asserting of Authority grew.

15.Since around 1978 the Governing Body has created a drumbeat of adherence to everything THEY SAY before any other loyalty.

16. The Internet allows the tidal wave of "proof' against the lies and misdeeds of Watchtower leadership like never before.

17. A crackdown on former members launches a war of shunning, labels of Apostacy and a marking of any unusual curiousity by members.

18. Generation teaching changes because 97 years have passed and the Millions Now Living Will Never Die promises expired.

That is as concise as I can be. Draw your own conclusions.

Is there Freedom of thought, speech or honest inquiry permitted inside a Kingdom Hall without reproach? No.

Shunning remains the most powerful inducement to conformity. That and fear of extinction in the ever-"near" Armageddon threat.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

undercover had a first post? unbelievable..

• undercover
    undercover

Geez, guys... this is older'n white dog dookie...

but... as embarrassing as this first post was (remember, anything written on the Internet is forever) it shows that we all had to go through the process of questioning, doubting, confirming, accepting the fact that we were in a cult.

I too await a most excellent KFC and beer graphic from OUTLAW...

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Terry, and kudos to that list of 18 items -- a great recap.

14. 1975 was the last firm date set by the Governing Body and it failed too. A backlash began a crackdown and asserting of Authority grew.

Allow me to respectfully disagree (though slightly) with that single item, 14. Recall that a few years before 1975 had even begun, they must've felt they needed another 25 years or so to hedge their bet, extending their prediction to the end of the century

". . .Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah - How? 1971, Chap. 12 pp. 216-217

Cheers, Len.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit