Where were you?

by joannadandy 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

I was at work (in the Boston, MA area) and heard it on the radio - at first the radio announcer's were unsure also what was going on. Three of my coworkers traveled to NYC on AA that morning leaving Logan 1/2 hr. before the 1st hijacked flight left. My coworkers witnessed the bombing live. Shortly after the announcement, their spouses were calling the office in panic. It took a couple of hours, but we were able to located our folks (they had arrived safely to their destination in NJ).

I also could have been in NYC at that time. Two weeks before 9/11, I was asked to go on that same trip, for some reason I strongly felt I did not want to go, and told them I was going to pass on that trip.......

• dsgal
    dsgal

I had just dropped my daughter off at beauty college and came home and turned on the t.v. a couple of minutes after the first plane struck the WTC.I watched in absolute horror and cried.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I was at home, in bed.

My wife's mother called us and told us to turn on the TV

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

I was at home, on my treadmill when the first plane hit. I thought it was an accident, maybe the pilot had suffered a heart attack or something. Then, the second one hit. I remember I turned around and looked at my husband behind me and jumped off the treadmill. I guess I just knew something awful was happening.

We found out shortly after, that one of my husbands college roommates had been on American Airlines flight 11. We waited to hear his name read outloud this morning at the ceremony.

C

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

WERE was queenie (If anyone cares) I was watchin reg.TV and all of a suddin there it all was (8:30 am pst) for all to see..I GOT UP AND WOKE UP DAN HALL (REVEAL MINISTRIES) via phone of course..HE actually thought I was joshing HIM WELL THERE ARE SOME THINGS ONE DOES NOT JOKE ABOUT and this is one of them--so I told him to flip the figin TV on and he did and he said OH MY GOD..TODAY I AM KEEPING THE TV off while LISA my daughter LISA does the regular grub shopping AND POST here and remain glued to my WEB TV UNTIL SHE GETS BACK WHICH SHOULD NOT BE TOO LONG..in THE MEANTIME mamie kitty HAS HER EYE ON ME -- thant is for now and yes I AM LEAVING DAN HALL alone....queenie

• Farkel
    Farkel

I was on an airplane heading home the day after I buried my father. I had to make a connection in Las Vegas and without any explanation, they kicked us all off the plane. Clueless, we all left and as we walked off the gangway, we saw the twin towers burning on all the television sets. A half-hour later they ordered all of us to remove ourselves from the airport. All rental cars were booked, and I had to wait for hours in the bus terminal to get a ride home. What should have been a 55 minute flight to San Diego took me 9 1/2 hours on a bus.

Farkel

• LB
    LB

I was at home recovering from surgery. Laid in bed and watched the whole thing.

Same here. I was actually in very bad shape and there were concerns about me being sent on a Mercy flight to San Diego as they were concerned they couldn't help me up here in Oregon. But there were no flights. So they provided me with a livein nurse for a few days and I was glued to that TV. It's amazing how you can switch from self pity one second to anger and outrage the next.

Today is another day. Lots of memories and while things are great here I know those closely touched by these events have mixed emotions.

• mommy1
    mommy1

I was driving my kids to school, we heard the news on the radio.

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Here in the UK it was mid afternoon. I was sitting with my son who was 3 at the time and we had just watched a Disney video together. The video ended so I switched it off and the TV came back on. I was greeted with a picture of both towers in flames. It must have been a couple of minutes after the second plane had hit.

It didn't register for a few minutes, to be honest I thought it was a film or something so I switched to another channel. And that showed the exact same image. In that moment I knew something major was happening and realised I was seeing live pictures of the World Trade Centre.

I sat glued to my TV in total shock and listened as Kirsty Young (ITN News presenter) interviewed her own husband by phone who was in New York at the time. You could see the anxiety on her face, because of what was happening and also that her own husband was in the thick of it.

I had to leave my house to pick up my daughter from school and the last thing I heard was that another plane had hit the Pentagon. Once I got to my daughters school I looked around the playground at all the mums that were waiting for their children. They were all chatting away as usual and I realised that none of them could have seen the TV or heard about it at that point. It really was a surreal moment, I felt as though I was the only one that knew what was happening. I'll never forget that day.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I had been working evenings and was sleeping in that morning. My cell phone kept going off. Finally after about the 5th call I gave up and got out of bed. I checked my messages and the first one was my friend saying "Please call me! I want to know where all my friends are! America is being attacked." My roomate was out of town in San Francisco. I was home by myself. I turned on the t.v. at the exact moment the second plane hit. I started crying.

I called my mom. She said Armageddon had started and I should start praying. I went to my ex boyfriend's house and watched it on t.v. with his family. I went to work that evening.

one week later my sister and I went to the L.A. County fair. We went to the 99 cent story and bought tons of candles. At about 6:45 pm we walked around the fair passing out candles to people. At 7:00 we held a vigil while waiting in line for the Pat Benetar concert. It looked beautiful with all these people standing there holding candles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit