Where were you?

by joannadandy 45 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I was up staying with Princess. My Dad called Mulan to tell her to turn on the TV, then she called us. It took a min to register, I couldn't figure out why Rachel was waking me up to watch the news, I didn't know what was going on.

I don't think we left the TV all day, the kids were happy watching tv in her bedroom(which they never get to do during the day) and were mesmerized, and had plenty of theories. I can't belive it's been a year I remember it just like yesterday, and then in another way it seems like a different lifetime.

My heart goes out to all who lost family and friends. On TV they were just talking about the 5 woman who had babies last year and lost their husbands in the tragedy. Soo sad, one said' this is a time to rejoice and show how strong we are' OMG I don't know how they did it.

Ven

Lights Candles...............

Edited by - VeniceIT on 11 September 2002 18:48:36

Edited by - VeniceIT on 11 September 2002 18:49:57

Edited by - VeniceIT on 11 September 2002 21:40:13

• ISP
    ISP

I was at work when a client rang me to tell me what was going on. I went and watched the scene in a TV store. I rang my wife. Many dubs at the time thought it was Armageddon.

ISP

• crownboy
    crownboy

Being in NYC, it was especially poignant for me. I was at work when I heard about the first tower being hit. Unlike most, I immediately connected the first hit to terrorist, and I said to myself "Osama bin Laden is behind this", since I knew he was the number one terrorist on the FBI list, and he had attacked the USS Cole. I thought they had come to finish off what they started in 1993. When the 2nd plain hit, everyone else around me began to concur, and the Pentagon getting hit initially scared me (like a lot of people have been, I was just numb most of the day). We got sent home early (I'm happy I didn't work in Manhattan). What was usually a half hour commute was closer to two hours. I remember I was sleepy as hell going to work that morning, but I stayed up past 3 in the morning watching the coverage that night (no work the next day, thankfully ). I still remember it vividly, and can't believe a year has passed so quickly. We had a couple of minutes of silence at work for the 9/11 victims this morning. I didn't think about how decadent the world is, or how I want God's kingdom to come and destroy everyone. I thought about the victims families, what they've gone through, and how everyone affected (including me) has healed and continues to heal from this great tragedy.
    Hopefully this anniversary will remind us about just how alike we all are, no matter what religion, race, etc. we are. We all come together and try to heal when tragedy strikes (I wonder if the family of JW victims were at ground zero today?).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

no great story here - just flipped on the TV before heading into work, and there it was...my mind was so numb over my personal situation (2001 was a rough rough year all around for me) that it took a while for the magnitude of the situation to hit me.

Osama sucks and I hope he's dead

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

9/11 iz definitely one of those moments that you remember when and where you were at precisely the moment you heard.

I was at home nursing a sore tooth/ear ache, dentist and doc couldn't decide which it wuz. Hadn't slept for two days from the pain. Finally got some heavy painkillers and slept a bit, woke up to my boss calling me and telling me to turn on the news. Spent the next day or so glued to the tv screen and half drugged.

I was glad to be able to spend that time watching the events and reflecting and feeling. Never been so grateful for a toothache.

My initial reaction upon watching the first plane hit and the tower burst into flames was, "I wonder if it will fall. Everyone is running in and the building could totally fall." I was surprised that everyone was surprised when it fell. I'm glad to hear they have improved their disaster plans so EOC's are no longer placed on the main floor of a burning building.

SPAZ

Edited by - SPAZnik on 11 September 2002 22:1:19

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

I was at work meeting with our Legal Department. The attorney's wife called and told him a plane had hit the WT Center. I immediately said out loud "From which country?". Instinct told me right from the beginning it was no accident. We ran to the TV in the Copier Room. As I watched the first Tower crumble, I said "Oh, No-o-o-o. It can't be doing this. There are too many people in there." I was horrified. By the time the third plane hit the Pentagon, I was in tears and said "It's been a long time since Pearl Harbor". I was so stunned and then so @#$% MAD. Still am. But I believe in God, the ultimate Judge.

Trot

Edited by - Trotafox on 11 September 2002 22:19:6

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

It was 7.15am our time when I first heard about it. Andy works nights, so he heard on the radio at work and he woke me as soon as he got home to get up and watch the news report. I remember standing in front of the TV in a state of shock...never once did I think "Armageddon"....my first thoughts were "those poor people". After that I cried some, and then left for work in a state of disbelief.

Beck

• jack2
    jack2

I was at work, and happened to have the radio playing very low, so I knew nothing until my wife called from her office and told me the Trade Center buildings were on fire. I then went down the Hall to an office that had a TV on.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I was in the car on the way to work when I heard about the first plane. I immediately thought terrorism, but thought it might be an accident; the news was saying it was a small plane. Still stuck in traffic, I heard them cut to a live report of the second plane. "FUCK RELIGION!!!!" was my first, immediate response.

"Oh shit, my daughter and ex are vacationing in Manhattan", was my second thought. Thus began by far the longest 8 hours of my life, as I tried w/o success to contact them. Scenarios that seemed like unreasonable worry at 10:00 am began to seem more and more possible at 11, then noon, and so on. Why wouldn't they contact me? (they were trying, but couldn't get a line out of NY). When a relative got word to me they were ok, at 4pm, I broke down and cried in relief. Thank god I had work that had to happen during that day, or I would have been a basket case all day.

ps. How did I know it was religion? It's always religion.

• detective
    detective

After the attacks, I drove by the home of my neighbor who died on one of the airplanes that hit the world trade center. The driveway was jammed with cars. I didn't know her. I just remember driving by their house in the days following the attack. Watching the cars come and go. Somebody had draped a flag over a large rock by their entryway.

I took a detour and passed by there on the way home tonight. A year later and the cars are back.

I think about their private pain.

It breaks my heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit