Serena thanks "Jehovah" after US Open...

by jack2 33 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Yerusalyim

I think the only reason I knew Selena was (although she was not baptized) was because I had friends in the Spanish Congregation in our area and they liked her music.

Dragon

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Kenpo,

I just find it amazing that as much as my wife likes Selena she didn't mention it. My wife's cousin is Mark Anthony by the way (ooooo, nearness to fame, ahhhhhh!)

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

I, too, despise double standards. But I havent heard anything about the WTBTS honoring the Williams sisters or giving them preferential treatment. The only reason the girls are "allowed" to play tennis competitively is because they dont care what the WTBTS thinks. They do what they want to, and I bet their congregation talks trash about them behind their backs (the same way they talked/talk about all of us). Simply because Serena thanked Jehovah doesnt mean she has the Jehovahs Witnesses favor. She may have made that public statement to regain their favor for all we know.

I guess what Im trying to say isI am truly sympathetic to all of you who have been hurt by the double standards of the WTBTS, but I dont think Venus or Serena have done anything wrong by playing tennis and making their own decisions.

• jack2
    jack2

Gumby and Mrs Rocky summed up the point I was making exactly.

No, the Williams girls are not doing anything wrong.

Yes, there is a double-standard that exists, and yes, youth who choose sports and many other organized activities are, as Gumby points out, not acting in line with the WTS's "guidelines". Just check the "School" brochure, as he suggests. And that brochure has not been superceded by the "Education" brochure. I had a service meeting part on that subject not long ago. It was the "School" brochure that was used to make points about the need to avoid such activities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit