Serena thanks "Jehovah" after US Open...

by jack2 33 Replies latest jw friends

• jack2
    jack2

Serena Williams, after winning the US Open women's tennis championship tonight, thanked "Jehovah" for blessing her family. In the background were numerous US flags, and of course, prior to the match, the Williams sisters were there and standing while various patriotic songs were played (oh, that's right....they were already standing since they had to walk out onto the court....guess that's okay).

While watching all that I could not help but think of all the JW youths who have been told that they could not particicpate in organized sports at school or otherwise. I just wonder what they, and their parents, might be thinking as they watch the Williams girls attain to the highest level of participation and success in the sport of tennis - and that is what bothers me when I watch these sisters compete. I think it's fine that they do so and that they are achieving great success (and making some nice $$$, $450,000 for Venus, $900,000 for Serena) but I am always bothered by the thought of all those Witness youths who never had a chance to do the same.

• dsgal
    dsgal

Maybe if other youths were making some nice $$$ to donate to the Society,they could participate too.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

JW's are not the only one's that use that name.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Yes - how interesting it is that their family is 'blessed' for doing exactly what the borg prohibits and many would be marked for. Just goes to prove that the borg will bend its rules for anyone with status and money.

Mimilly

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Yeah...that makes me want to barf!

Should I thank "Jehovah" that I turned down full scholarships to university in order to take a one-year dental assisting course so that I could support my pioneer ass? And should I thank "Jehovah" that I was STILL looked down upon by the congregation and made to feel guilty at every turn for the horrible SIN of pursuing "post-secondary" education?

<gag> <hack> <puke>

Still, I see the Serena thing as on par with other fundie Xtians. I absolutely HATE it when rap/soul artists get on stage and thank JESUS for blessing them. Give me a fucking break! If Jesus exists, shouldn't he be a bit more concerned with all of the babies dying in Africa, China, and elsewhere rather than whether or not Boyz to Men have a number one hit?

ecchhhh!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

A lot of it does also depend on the parents. I was always taught by my parents (3 generations of jws here not just newbies) to never show blantant disrespect for the flag. It is sacred to our country. No one can deny that.

A flag is incapable of being evil. It is an inatament object that represents who we are. SO we ALWAYS stood during flag salute at any event we went to that saluted the flag as part of the program and there are quite a few.

We never saluted it. But showed respect.

I know there were parents even during that time that would not even stand during the flag salute and that is being disrespectful and not necessary.

It's also drawing major attention to your self which is somathing not condoned in the Bible.

More and more JWs started refusing to even stand but there are still some from the old school who aren't that ignorant.

Standing is not a Dfping offense or at least it wasn't. It was a matter of ones concience and if the WT could plant enough inuendo to make someone feel guilty for standing up then it's nothing less then really really sad.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I absolutely HATE it when rap/soul artists get on stage and thank JESUS for blessing them.

I just had to insert that "rap/soul" artists are not the only ones to thank Jesus, so do country music and most any musical artists.

And kenpo-

I missed your point. You do realize that Serena and Venus were raised JW's don't you?

• teejay
    teejay

She said *what*?

I missed it. Must-a been distracted by what she had on!

• jack2
    jack2

Thanks Stinky - yes, the Williams sisters were indeed raised as JWs.

My point was not to condemn the Williams girls for standing or being there, but rather the fact that so many other JW kids will never even have that chance. I was a bit sarcastic in the first paragraph of my post - but the again, these sisters once posed in Sports Illustrated with a US flag draped across their bodies. Is that wrong? Technically, no, but it sure looked odd for people who profess to serve "Jehovah". And I can't help but think that there are many JWs out there who would receive strong "counsel" against doing exactly what the Williams girls do or have done in the past.

Kaethra - what you mentioned about being looked down upon for pursuing "post-secondary" education is very sad.

[email protected] guess you were too busy staring at her skin-tight shorts.

Edited by - jack2 on 8 September 2002 0:24:59

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

SP -

You're right, of course. It is not only soul/rap artists who thank Jesus. But, in my experience with award shows, which is admittedly and thankfully limited, I've yet to see a rock/alternative band get on stage and thank Jesus for their grammy or AMA or whatever.

I feel sure that you are correct in saying that many country artists also thank Jesus. Not being a huge fan of that musical genre however, I have not seen many award shows dedicated to that particular type of music.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit