WT Attacks Being 'Easygoing' October,1,02 WT

by ISP 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ISP
    ISP

Should You Be Easygoing?

Most People would probably feel that it is a compliment to be thought of as an easygoing person, one with a relaxed, placid, tolerant nature. However, there is another side to easygoingness. The Bible says "The easygoingness of the stupid is what will destroy them." (Proverbs 1:32) What does that mean?

Other Bible versions render the original Hebrew word with such expressions as "careless ease" (American Standard Version), "smugness" (The New American Bible), and "complacency." (The New English Bible) In this sense, easygoingness is linked to laziness and carelessness and thus to stupidity or foolishness.

So says October 1, 2002 WT. Notice that the accepted understanding of people generally is that 'easygoing' is a good thing.It may have obscure meanings as above but the WT will adopt the obscure use of it in the subject title.

ISP

Edited by - ISP on 23 August 2002 17:8:25

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I'm a pretty easygoing guy and I say, screw them!

I'm sure they interpret it as being zealous in distributing their propaganda, though.

Lew W

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

So much for being meek and mild tempered.

• gumby
    gumby

Be busy in service= more dough

Be busy at your secular work=more dough

Be busy with your studying for meeting's, family, etc,=no loss of members....more dough

Don't take the time to look at your life realistically.

Stay so busy you will never change what you are now!

• ISP
    ISP

You have to be on the brink of a nervous breakdown to get the nod of WTS approval. When you do have a breakdown it will be your fault!

ISP

Ex-Headless Chicken Class

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Interesting, they said that the word could also be rendered as "complacency"

"The complacency of the stupid is what will destroy them." (Proverbs 1:32)

Sounds like the pedophile issue to me!

• Gopher
    Gopher

easygoing

1a.

Living without undue worry or concern; calm. b. Lax or negligent; careless. c. Relaxed or informal in attitude or standards: an easygoing teacher who allowed extra time for assignments.
    2. Not rigorous, demanding, or stressful: an easygoing life as a part-time consultant.
    3. Leisurely; unhurried: an easygoing pace.

From the above, it appears the Watchtower is focusing on definition 1b, and ignoring all the good connotations of the word easygoing.

I have to agree that 1b is not good. If you're negligent about your job, you should be fired!

Like they said, MOST PEOPLE see easygoingness as good. And no wonder, since most of the definitions do not necessarily describe a lazy person.

So why the wholesale condemnation of a concept that has two different meanings? Do they deliberately seek to confuse the reader, and thus control the direction of the conversation??? Naaaah, they wouldn't ever do that -- not the faithful and discreet slave!

Edited by - Gopher on 21 August 2002 20:41:38

• abbagail
    abbagail

Right on, Elsewhere!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gopher

Wasn't jesus like that, and advocating that kind of life style? 'My yoke is kindly, my load is light.' 'Don't worry about tomorrow, be happy.'

SS

• ISP
    ISP
    So why the wholesale condemnation of a concept that has two different meanings? Do they deliberately seek to confuse the reader, and thus control the direction of the conversation??? Naaaah, they wouldn't ever do that -- not the faithful and discreet slave!

Exactly...Gopher!! Anything to take the spring out of your step....and impose their controlling mentality. How many dubs will now reject the good aspects of being 'easygoing' ?

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit