Pagan Origins

by tinker 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I've had enough of these pagan tight pants! I'm replacing them with a proper, modest, Christian skirt like Jesus wore!"

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I read the pinata has orgins in human sacrifice and pagan god worship of the Aztec yet the borg says there ok to use.
  • millie210
    millie210

The local Kingdom Hall here was remodeled last year and there are finials everywhere.

I find that amusing in some sort of silly way.

Thats what happens when you hold yourself up as the "be all and end all "of pure worship.,,,

when you slip up - people laugh.  

• Island Man
    Island Man

The funny thing is that the bible itself indicates that a Christian can eat meat that was sacrificed to idols provided he did it innocently as a regular meal and not as a religious rite, and was not stumbling anyone. Paul told the Corinthians that they can eat meat given them without inquiring of its origins. This shows that the pagan origin of the meat doesn't really matter to God. What matters is the intent with which it's eaten by the Christian and whether eating it in the presence of others with weaker consciences could stumble them. See 1 Corinthians 10:25-30

In contrast, JWs adopt an overly scrupulous pharisaic attitude of feeling compelled to research the origin of obscure practices to make sure there're no pagan roots hidden somewhere in its history. They are missing the point completely. According to 1 Corinthians 10:25-30 God does not stigmatize an otherwise innocent practice engaged in with innocence simply because of past association with paganism.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    anyone who says a white wedding dress isn't the focus of the event has obviously never known a bride. Just saying!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I just realized "Pagan Origins" would be a really cool username.

Or alt-rock band name.

• millie210
    millie210

- Good point Island Man!

- Yes it would Vidiot! 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "According to 1 Corinthians 10:25-30 God does not stigmatize an otherwise innocent practice engaged in with innocence simply because of past association with paganism."

Like baptism, for example?

• coalize
    coalize
    Like baptism, for example?

You can't know how you're example is true!

For example, it's very interesting to read all the books of the British assyriologist Theophilus Pinches, especially this two ones :

1) The Old Testament in the Light of the Historical Records and Legends of Assyria and Babylonia

2) The Religion Of Babylonia And Assyria  

and the transcript of a conference he gave : Assyro - Babylonians and Hebrews - Likenesses and contrasts

With these books, you understand very well, than almost all about the hebrew religion, came from the babylonians... like Abrahm came from Ur...

And then, ironically, all about christianity, and about JW doctrins, have, in fact, pagan origins !

• Half banana
    Half banana

Hello people this is my first post here...

The Jesus story is most certainly pagan in origin and the nativity of the virgin-born, wonder-working healer and teacher who sacrificed his life existed for thousands of years in fine detail... before the name Jesus was inserted into it and then made part of  the “holy” scriptures.  Most of the Bible is pagan in origin! What isn’t pagan? Jehovah or Yahweh, was originally an ox-headed idol, a moon god. He was one of the seventy sons of El, whose consort was Ashera. Later she too became identified as Yahweh’s consort, this might be called incest today but then if you are a pagan God... anything goes!

Half banana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit