Pagan Origins

by tinker 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kaik
    kaik

thanks bittersweet.. My avatar is from Czech cartoon commercial.

French Revolutionary calendar was a way for the I. French Republic to break away from Christian calendar and was in place between 1793 till Napoleon changed it back. It was actually very popular by dividing day to ten hours, which were divided into 100 minutes which had 100 seconds. The drawback it had that week had ten days and people did not had enough time to rest.

I uses geometry all the time, as well as matrix algebra at my work. I love math, and if I had to choose a different career path, I will go for M.S. in applied mathematics.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Something has a Pagan Origin,....... so what ?

The old testament fear of everything foreign/different to the worship of YHWH came from the very real realisation by the priests of Yahweh that foreign gods were very real to the Israelites, and hence a pull away from the national god, Yahweh.

In modern times Rutherford had a desire to make his little following stand out as different, so he condemned anything to do with Christendom or pagandom.

Nowadays JW's do not know why it is so bad that something has pagan connections, and as everything on Earth and in the Heavens does, they have to operate a Pick and Mix system, whilst watching their backs so that other JW's cannot find fault with them.

• Listener
    Listener

Doc House

"Any of you SERIOUS? Doesn't LOOK that way.

RELIGIOUS pagan customs disguised as 'Christian' customs are what we avoid."

The act of getting married is very much a Christian custom and religious act. 

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

obviously he is not that smart....probably book smart. if was, he would recognize it's a cult. did he get his PHD from Sally Struthers university?

GTTM

• pontoon
    pontoon
    NECK TIES have a military origin, just as bad isn't it???
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Related subject...

...When I was a teenager, I had a step-uncle who was so militantly pro-WT that he counseled his step-kids, -nieces, and -nephews that we shouldn't even use ordinary slang expressions like "cool" or "awesome" because they were "Worldy" terms.

I politely pointed out to him that the entire English language was developed by people JWs would consider "Worldy", so refusing to use any casual English expressions that weren't offensive was unreasonable (paraphrasing, but that's the gist).

I have to say, he didn't argue the point (he had enough brains to realize that would just make him look stupid), but I could tell he never forgot or forgave me for successfully standing up to him.

Not that I gave a shit; I disliked him, too.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Not only did Jesus and the first century Christians NOT wear neckties, they didn't wear pants!

Trousers have a long non-Judea-Christian history and Jesus in his prehuman existence would have been well aware of their existence and practicality. However, Jesus never wore pants or cheap polyester suits. Why? Clearly because these were associated with pagans including Chinese, Celts, Persians, etc. that were part of Satan's world. Pants were popular with warriors on horseback, so wearing pants would be as acceptable to a true christian as walking around with an AK45 slung over the shoulder.

Rumor has it that an early Church father, Antonio Morrisianium the Thirdian, condemned pants as a tool of pagan homosexuals that in the snugness of their fit caused pagan tingly sexual arousal of Christian naughty parts.

• kaik
    kaik
    Pants were worn in Roman empire by inhabitants of Gaul and Germania and Romans considered it barbaric custom. It was more practical in the colder climate of the Western Europe than toga and tunic of the Mediterranean climate. However, wearing pants and trousers were so popular in Roman empire that emperor Honorius issued degree in 423 to forbidding them for Roman citizens. Roman foederati troops wore trousers as majority of them were recruits from Celtic and Germanic provinces and beyond. It was also often called Gaulic fashion. In Czech language the word trousers came from old French.
  • Scully
    Scully
    It's fun to point out to JWs that Judas Iscariot's betrayal of Jesus was vital to the completion of God's Purpose™. Why, then, is he so reviled?
  • Scully
    Scully

@ bittersweet2K

Do you suggest we all go back to school and learn some ancient calendar for no reason?

If I remember correctly, there was a failed attempt by CT Russell (I think) to invent a new calendar just for the Bible Students. To say that it would be an arduous task and a simply ridiculous measure to maintain Separateness From The World™ is an understatement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit