Pagan Origins

by tinker 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tinker
    tinker

A currently active Jdub acquaintance occasionally stops by to say hello and we share a wee dram or two. After the general small talk of new cars, exotic vacations and sports we often get into the "why" we are XJubs. He is a well educated publisher who holds a PHD in Child Psychology. He brings up Christmas pagan origins as a argument that the WTBS teachs the truth of the Bible. really, Really? that's he's Truth! 

Can anyone share other examples of "pagan origins" that Jdubs might practice today without knowing or caring about the history.  

• coalize
    coalize

Good question!

I was talking on a french religious forum lately about this question and it was all about the readers question of the watchtower of the 15 February 2007 (p 31). This wasn't so clear answer, even for some JW's. I resume in short words the answer of the GB in this article :

If it have pagan origins, doesn't mean that's unaceptable for a christian 

And try to manage with that... :D

You really must to check this article, because he gives some pagan things you can make as a JDub (in fact things it will be impossible to make swallow even at the more dumbass JW,  that's now that's no more accepted : like wedding ring) !!! I have a link, but only in french :( 

And in fact, 99,99% of what we know, do and think have a pagan origin... even God himself...

• bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K

I have a couple of good ones that I can't verify, but that I heard in public talks. 

1}  Gingerbread men were copies of people sacrificed to the sun god during Saturnalia

2)  Stonehedge in (is it Scotland or Ireland)  was put together by the Nephilim

• coalize
    coalize
     Stonehedge was put together by the Nephilim

ah yes! I forgot them!!!!!

I heard too that Hercule in the greek mythology was a Nephilim!!!!

• tinker
    tinker
    Many wedding customs have pagan origins from what I understand. Rings, veils, wedding white, cake. When I brought up these things he downplayed them as not the main focus of the event. I know there are other commons customs with pagan origins but can't think of them off hand.
  • bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K
    Hey, I like you Coalize.  You seem pretty cool
  • bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K
    How about the monthly calendar we use. 
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The most obvious and totally insane pagan-belief (that very few question) is giving credit to the infinite spender of life and universe to a primitive, human-like, male deity created by ignorant and superstitious desert-tribesmen thousands of years ago.

I suspect that a tree is far more wise in this regard.

• bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K
    Are we all supposed to live in plastic bubbles at this point?  Everything seems to be Pagan, Politically oriented or Sex driven??  As the Church Lady said "could it be Satan"/
  • DocHouse
    DocHouse

Any of you SERIOUS? Doesn't LOOK that way.

RELIGIOUS pagan customs disguised as 'Christian' customs are what we avoid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit