My cat--Need Your Help in Naming Her

by patio34 48 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

I have a new cat. A smallish young adult (1-2 years old) female, with black & gold back and white chest, belly and feet.

I can't come up with a name I like. I wanted to name her something consistent with her coloring (Carmel, Fawn, Tawny, etc.), but they didn't seem to fit.

I came up with the name "Lucy" after Lucy Australopithecus Afarensis to reflect my new evolutionary beliefs, but when a friend said it "loooo-ceeee" dripping with honey, it gagged me. I still like it though because it represents mystery (the fossils of Lucy) and our common genetic material.

But another problem with it is I said I was going to go home and have Lucy crawl up on my lap and it sounded a bit lesbian. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" (As Seinfeld says...)

Another possibility that is gender-neutral is "Bonsai," since she's on the small side and tears around here like crazy.

So, what is your opinion on: 1) Lucy; and 2) Bonsai ??

I've had her almost 3 weeks now and call her something every day (one day it was "Hell Cat"!)

Pat

• Prisca
    Prisca

Lucy is a sweet name, but I think Bonsai is more original, and going by your description of her, probably looks more like a "Bonsai" than a "Lucy", if that makes any sense!

• JanH
    JanH

Bonsai? Yikes. See http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

Initial insertion, with aid of Alessi shoehorn. Kitten has been given muscle relaxant 30 min. prior to insertion process.

After 1 week, using proprietary airhole/feeding tube technology. Notice the conformal shaping accelerated through the use of calcium sequestering agent to soften bone structure. After 1 month skull will attain complete conformity to flat surface resulting in the desirable "bonsai kitty" expression.

Rear aspect, revealing excellent sealing properties of Super Glue. No leakage has ever occured with proper application. Thus, fur remains soft and tail attains beautiful convolutions as the months pass!

• outnfree
    outnfree

I prefer Bonsai to Lucy, but how about Topaz? (You could call her 'tope for short, as a hidden reference to isotopes, given your new scientific bent. )

((((((pat))))))

out

Edited by - outnfree on 17 August 2002 9:44:12

• jgnat
    jgnat

oops! If I were you, bonsai is now OUT. Oooooh, the images that won't leave my brain now. Thanks a lot, JanH!

I like, Lucy, too - "Lucy, you have some 'splainin to do!". The possibilities! Not very intellectual, but then again, a how intellectual is a bouncy cat?

• larc
    larc

I prefer Lucy because that was my grandmother's name. Maybe your cat is my grandmother in a new life. She did not tear around the house much, because she was an old person. Maybe she tore around the house when she was younger. I don't know.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Hi Pat

I like Bonsai, you could also call her Dart ("since she likes to" tear around the house like crazy") for Raymond Dart who was one of the first to discover early hominid species in Africa.

Perhaps Tanzania or Tanzi for short.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I am a cat person. Right now I have a one year old Tortie, we got from the Animal Shelter. We named her Ginger because of her coloring.

By your description, your kitty sounds like a "Sheba" to me. You will probably get so many replies to this thread, because there are many cat lovers out there, and naming a cat is almost like naming a baby.

The most beloved animal I ever owned was a Russian Blue. She was so affectionate and loving. She was slim and all a beautiful Gray/Blue color. We could not settle on a name and I ended up calling her "Kitty-Pooh". I had her for eight years and really miss her. What a silly name that was, but once everyone began calling her that, we couldn't change it.

Good luck and best wishes with your new feline friend.

Sentinel

• LB
    LB

Better splain yourself Lucy

I number my cats. The only ones that got names were ones that earned them somehow. Number 7 became Lumpy because she used to crawl under our blankets while we were gone and when we got home she'd be a lump under the bed. Number 9 became Charlie after Charles Manson because she's nuts and a stone cold killer. Number 12 became Stumpy because she doesn't have a tail after napping on our engine and not waking up until I started the truck up.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

JanH

Is that site real? Do people really do this to animals?

Its more then disgusting. Only the disturbed would do such a thing to an animal.

What in the world are people going to do next?

I really hope that its a sick joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit