Sheila Bowen's Letter To the GB!

by Ranchette 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Hello every one,

I knocked on the locked door of the appeal hearing last night after they had dismissed Bill and told the six elders that I had something to say to them and told them it was summed up it a letter I had written.I then asked them if I could read it to them and they could have their own copy when I was finished.They said that would be fine.

Here it is

8-11-02

Governing Body,

25 Columbia Heights

Brooklyn, New York 11201

Dear Brothers,

Its been over a year and a half since I last attended a meeting at the Kingdom Hall. I quit attending after a special talk was given before the entire congregation including my children, saying that the person who went to the press (referring to my husband, Bill) had spoken against God and that what he said was untrue. I knew differently and couldnt believe what I was hearing! The congregation had no idea that they were being lied to.

I have endured countless lies and slander against my husband and others who have spoken out on this issue, originating from so-called worshipers of the true God. I lost my parents and many lifelong friends (all JWs) because they believed the lies they were told. I truly believe that the victims and what has happened to them is whats most important though and I know my pain means nothing compared to theirs.

I have patiently watched this horrifying nightmare unfold before my eyes, always feeling very helpless, always hoping that the religion I was raised in would rise to the occasion and do what was right and in the best interest of the children. Instead, I was constantly shocked at the low down dirty levels this organization has stooped to in order to hide the truth from the public and its own members!

Ive had a Watchtower Child Abuse Hotline (1-877 WT- ABUSE) ringing into my home for over a year now so I know the real truth about whats going on here. Countless Jehovahs Witness Child abuse victims have called in and continue to do so. Their stories haunt me each and every day of my life! If you would just open your eyes, ears and hearts they would haunt you too!

The stories are almost always the same. They tell of unspeakable sexual crimes committed against them when they were minors, of how they went to their body of elders for comfort, shelter and protection. Instead, they werent believed because they didnt happen to have an audience of at least two witnesses to the molestations. These elders were following your directions, theGoverning Body of Jehovahs Witnesses!

With a rule like that you should see that very few molesters ever get reported to the authorities or any one else for that matter! Sadly, these predators are free to prey on children in Kingdom Halls all over the world.

These victims tell of how they were intimidated into silence with guilt and threats of disfellowshipping if they didnt stay silent. Most succumb to this blackmail like tactic because to disobey would cost them their entire lives! All of their Jehovahs Witness family and friends would view them as dead spiritually and would not even speak to them anymore. Most of them dont have enough strength left after what they have been through to face something of this magnitude nor should they have to be faced with it in the first place! Some have been banished or cast out into the world for reporting crimes committed against them and trying to protect others from the same fate, all of this at the direction of theGoverning Body!

When my husband (Bill Bowen) founded www.silentlambs.org these survivors finally had a place to go for the comfort and support. They could tell their stories and be believed.

The elders were supposed to fill this role and direct them to the proper authorities but instead they proved themselves to be wolves in sheeps clothing!

By disfellowshiping my husband, you stripped these JW victims of the only support system they ever had. They cannot come to Silent Lambs any more because in doing so they risk everything. You heartlessly victimized them again! Shame on you!

My husband has been hauled up on false charges in front of a kangaroo court! He has committed no sin against God and he has caused no divisions in the congregation. Bill is standing up for what is right, exposing a policy that hurts children and helping those who need it most. I proudly support him and his cause.

Watchtower policy is what has divided this organization. So put the blame where it belongs, theGoverning Body and their harmful policies! I find it appalling and completely unacceptable for you to attempt to protect the Watchtowers image at all cost! Your actions are criminal in my opinion! You will all have to stand before the God you claim to worship and try to justify your actions and I can assure you there is no justification. There is, however consequences.

In the past year and a half, Ive observed enough to know that I am ashamed and embarrassed for the public to know that I was ever one of Jehovahs Witnesses!

Until the day I see this religion living up to its claims of being the only true religion on earth and representing God, I will not claim to be one of Jehovahs Witness.

Mrs. William H. Bowen

cc: The Draffenville Body of Elders,

Appeal Committee

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

A powerful letter.

((((((((((( Shelia ))))))))))))

Warm thoughts sent your way and big hugs!!!!

{{{{{{{{{ Shelia and Bill }}}}}}}}

Love you both!!

Your printed words WTBTS;

Isaiah 10: 1,2 (NWT)

Woe to those who are enacting harmful regulations and those who, constantly writing, have written out sheer trouble, 2 in order to push away the lowly ones from a legal case and to wrest away justice from the afflicted ones of my people

Edited by - cassiline on 12 August 2002 12:5:28

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Wow. I have nothing else to say except bravo.

Hmmm

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Excellent, Sheila! I applaud your letter. It took great courage to knock on that door, demand an audience and read that letter to them.

You may very well be disfellowshipped now as a result, but I know you will wear that badge with pride and I am proud of you for it. It is an honor to know you and your husband.

Sam

Edited by - Sam Beli on 13 August 2002 1:9:39

• amac
    amac

Did they say anything of interest after you read the letter?

• Scully
    Scully

Way to go Sheila!

What a powerful, thought-provoking letter.

Both you and Bill have my admiration and complete respect.

Love, Scully

• nita6368
    nita6368

Good for you Shelia!! I wish I could have seen the looks on their faces as you were reading.

We will have to get together Soon!!

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Just a marvelous letter! I applaud you and your husband for your unwavering courage in standing up for the rights of the thousands of victims of abuse within this organization.

Only moments ago I finished e-mailing a notice to our local newspaper urging them to print the article in yesterday's New York Times. I live in a small community but believe that the whole world needs to know what this organization is doing to innocent people everywhere.

Again...an eloquent and wonderfully written letter by Sheila...it is truly a shame that it will undoubtedly fall on "ears that do not hear".

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Great letter. One that I'm sure, considering your last statement in it, that the elders will (gladly) accept as a disassocation letter.

That took real courage. Now, I hope it'll be easier for you and your family to get on with your "real life." I wish you all the best.

S4

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

SHEILA----A M E N---but I think also it is going to go in one ear and out the other...fortunately there r those that have brains and they will figure it out on there own that the WT ORG is a cult and an business -- nothing else nothing more...speaking of a business how is the cndle making business??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit