Age Barometer-Do you remember?

by Trotafox 57 Replies latest social humour

• COMF
    COMF

Alchemist, that song was by the Kingston Trio. I have a copy of it on mp3!

Nope on the cigarettes, but you're close, it was a menthol. The Kool ad said, "Come up... come ALL the way up... to Kool." Neither Hamms nor Bud is correct for the other two.

Edited by - COMF on 12 August 2002 3:8:19

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

The Beer, Miller High Life?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

To add another, John Cameron Swasey and "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin."

• abbagail
    abbagail

This thread is a hoot for laughs! On the original test, I couldn't remember the wax thing, whatever it was; nor the gum. The other 23 items, no problem... loved being reminded about Mimeograph paper. What a thrill that was! And I STILL have metal ice trays with levers ;-) Never owned any PF Flyers but definitely remembered them (they were the precursor to high-top aerobic shoes, eh?) With seven siblings, name-brand clothes/shoes were definitely not part of the wardrobe. Wasn't there a shoe brand, Parrots-something?

How about Sky King and Penny?

Any Mighty Mouse fans out there? (He was my hero, until Popeye, that is...)

Black and white tile floors in the Winn-Dixie... Candid Camera did jokes about them one time.

My tongue is STILL green from licking S&H Green Stamps. Did you know they still exist? There is a website for S&H.

Ahhh, those were the days of yonder youth... carefree, and everyday was exciting, especially summer...

I am also thrilled to see there ARE some old folks on this forum. I was under the impression the vast majority were 20/30-something.

As for the cigs, "Take a puff... it's springtime!" -- Wasn't that for BELLAIR??? My "Nanny" (grandmother) smoked Bellairs. Would you believe I even loved the smell of the smoke when she and "Pop" would visit us or we would go visit them.

And who knows this one: "I'd Rather Fight Than Switch!"

"Hang down your head Tom Dooley" -- LOLOL!!!! Couldn't remember who sang it, so thanks for sparing me the agony of a Brain Strain trying to figure out it was The Kingston Trio.

Here's one for you: "Sixteen Tons and Whattaya Get, Another Day Older and Deeper in Debt... ??? I Owe My Soul to the Company Stole"(???)

These next ones are OH SO on the TIP of my TONGUE!!! Arrgghh! Give me a minute (an hour, a day, a week, a year), and I'll have the answer for you:

"pure, light, clear and bright"... -- Hey, was that PALMOLIVE??? (Anyone remember MARGE the manicurist?)

"You only go around once in life, so you gotta grab for all the gusto you can, even in..." --- It's not coming to me, but I do remember this saying. I can't believe it's not pertaining to cigarettes or booze. So WHAT could it be??? An automobile??? I got it! Underwear! Men's underwear???? :-/

OK. I'm completely exhausted just from that brief mental exercise. The nurses have arrived to put me to bed.
    If Dakota Red is plenty-three, then I'm only plenty...

Good night!
    Grits

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

Timex watches usually after they are pushed over a large waterfall attached to a floating ball. Remember the commercial about the newly wed who is served his wife's first meal "marshmellow meatballs." Same product advertised as "plop plop" and "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

Good old Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons. The gusto thing has just got to be beer. Remember sexy Barbara Feldon on th Tiger skin rug hawking after shave. It made her famous. Next role agent 99 in Maxwell Smart Secret Agent. I had the hots for Barbara and I hadn't even reach puberty yet. What agony!

• COMF
    COMF
    "Take a puff... it's springtime!" -- Wasn't that for BELLAIR???

Nope. Salem.

"I'd Rather Fight Than Switch!"

Taryton! Featured a guy, sometimes a girl, with an obviously fake black eye. Yeah, like somebody was going to punch you if you didn't smoke their brand...

I Owe My Soul to the Company Stole"(???)

Company Store. Tennessee Ernie Ford. I love his rendition of that song! Used to play on the radio in the morning when mom was getting us ready for elementary school.

"pure, light, clear and bright"

Jax beer, in the days before Faubacher Brau. Used to sponsor the evening news on Houston's channel 13 every evening ("Good night, Chet." "Good night, David.") with cartoon commercials. One was about a rich old lady who has her butler bring her a Jax, and they talk about how it's "pure, light, clear and bright"... then the butler asks if there will be anything else, and she says, "Yes, James, please call me a taxi," to which he replies, "Very well, madam, you are a taxi." She says, "Thank you, James," honks an auto horn on the side of her chair, and drives off in it.

"You only go around once in life, so you gotta grab for all the gusto you can, even in..."

"...even in the beer you drink" is the rest of the slogan. I believe this ad was for Shlitz, but it's starting to blur enough for me to think maybe it was Busch Bavarian (it was never called Busch in those days, it was always Busch Bavarian).

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

We can't forget Speedy Alka Seltzer for the plop plop fizz fizz. I got a kick out of the mid-sixites commercial with the song, "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach Is In."

Sky King and Penny, with the Songbird.

Johnny Weismuller as Jungle Jim.

Here I come to save the day! Mighty Mouse.

What about Ruff and Reddy?

Or, after the show Wells Fargo, the star rides up on is horse, jumps off onto the train and says, "I'm Dale Robertson and I smoke Pall Malls."

Or, the dancing Chesterfield package that turned out to be Mary Tyler Moore?

Gunsmoke with Chester, long before Festus?

And, which one of us didn't have a crush on Annette?

Remember when Winn Dixie was Kwik Chek? And Seven Elevens were open all the way across the front?

Sixteen Tons, Tennessee Ernie Ford

Ah, the memories. I could sit here all night remembering them. But, I too have to go to work in the morning.

Alchemist, my favorite Timex commercial was when they strapped it to the prop of an outboard motor and put it in water and ran it for a few seconds. All done live, too!

Oh, these fantastic memories

Lew W

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

(40 posts in a too-short timeframe... sheesh, time to back off from this forum again. But not before I say...)

My favorite Mighty Mouse scene is the one, in quite a few different cartoons, where MM has foiled some initial evil plot of the bad guy, and he comes right up eye to eye with MM and says calmly, quietly, "I suppose you know this means war."

Gunsmoke with Chester, long before Festus?

"Mister Dillon... Mister Dillon..." Dennis Weaver. I always hated his nasal whine, in everything he did.

the show Wells Fargo

I was young enough, I called it "Weld Spargo". Do you remember that in the scene behind the opening credits, the stagecoach wheel always seemed to turn backward? An optical illusion having to do with the number of frames per second contrasting with the number of images per second our eyes can process (as I later learned, in science class).

Do you guys remember Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent? Somebody's alliteration gone over the top.

Hey, how about Dan Blocker, on the set of Bonanza, wearing his standard "Hoss" outfit, complete with white non-dimpled 10-gallon hat, selling Chevrolet pickups, talking about how tough they are?

Another memory test: what is it that will "bring strength and energy coursing to every part of your body"? Hint: Jo Ann Castle would know...

COMF wearing a mask

Edited by - GatoCat on 12 August 2002 3:27:27

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Scored a 16. So, I'm on the low end of "older than dirt".

I will never forget the look of complete shock when I told my daughter that when I was a kid a small bag of M & Ms were a nickel.

What I remember from that era was the game "Mystery Date". It was a board game for girls. When I think about the commercial that was run on TV in the 1960's for it, I crack up. "Open the door for YOUR mystery date". There was the handsome guy in his Tux, the cute guy in his casual clothes, and THE DUD!! (the guy was a geek complete with pocket protecter) Of course, when the they showed the girls opening the door to THE DUD, their faces were marked with sadness and disappointment.LOL

So, I'm out with my daughter shopping and I see a new updated version of Mystery Date. Well, how times have changed. No DUDS in the new addition. Everyone looks like they should be in a boy band.

I can just see it now. Next time my daughter whines about her life, I will just give her the business about how in MY DAY, the game Mystery Date didn't have any Lance Bass look-a-likes and WE took the risk of ending up with THE DUD!

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit